topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Process Tamer - LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.11.01 - Apr 23, 2009  (Read 135876 times)

Kenishi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer - LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.11.01 - Apr 23, 2009
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Dear friends

I'm really impressed by your programms and your website! :)
I never just say that to everyone :)

My problem on Windows 7 is, that it doesn't automatically boosts 64bit programms. Only on 32bit programs it shows a balloon message.. :/

And: How about a translation to german? I'll help you as much as I can as a student from Switzerland  :)

(Another topic: The smiley "; )" shows here as ;) .. A bug?)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:14 AM by Kenishi »

blargenfluck

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i enjoy having my processor tamed (Intel T900 core2duo) However... it's just not cutting it completely. it is doing it's job, yes. However i think there should be a RAM tamer as well. Some people (like me) are limited to older equipment or equipment that is limited (3 Gigs ram max). However, For what I do on the computer... my ram gets used up with give or take 10mb freespace.
This process tamer has helped save my processor, but its still a losing battle when it comes to the lack of ram.

Any thoughts on building something like that or know where there already is one?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm definitely considering adding some memory watching and "taming" options for the next version.

th3ophilos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you for this excellent piece of software!

Kenishi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Good evening everybody! :)

Any news about a new version?
A beta version maybe? ::)

starcraftt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Like process tamer very much :up: using it on my windows 7

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2013, 11:37 PM »
An update is long over due everyone.. I haven't given up on it.

hotraider

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Hi,

Just waiting new update and I hope you will solve 64 bit taming in coming update. Best of Luck and Wish you all Merry Christmas and Very Happy New year of 2014.!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Thank you very much..!

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser,

Can we have 'suspend' as an option in Process Tamer ?

In one of my old machine which I installed Win7, any process intensive program running for few minutes makes the cpu to shut down. On next restart, the bios says the it was shut down due to cpu overheating.

Lowering the process priority do not work, so if the process is suspended till the cpu load falls back, and again started, then I hope it will help to complete the job without cpu over heating.

Please see if it is possible to do.

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yes, but anand, if your cpu is shutting down due to overheating, i urge you to address that directly -- such behavior means your cpu is in real danger of becoming damaged.

and one of the worst things about a cpu damaged from heat is that it could start misbehaving randomly and creating errors that are very hard to track down!

this is a true story: once i started getting weird errors in the compilation of one of my linux programs using the gcc compiler.  when i looked up the error code online, it said the errors were sometimes known to be caused by cpu hardware malfunctioning.  when i opened up my computer sure enough the cpu fan had broken and was not running!  replaced the cpu and the compiler errors were gone.

the web and the hardware geeks here on the forum will surely have better advice, but here are some quick suggestions:

1. install a program which will monitor your cpu temp and show it in your system tray at all times so that you can keep an eye on it, and they can be set to alert you when it is getting too high.

2. open up your computer and turn it on while it is running -- see if the cpu fan has for some reason stopped running -- this happens!  check the other fans in your computer.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Thanks mouser.

I checked for the cpu fan etc. when I first got this problem few months back. Everything is OK. I do not even screw the cpu box cover panel now. It can be slide open any time so that to cool the inner if required. I do not have air conditioning or so in my computer room, and our environment are a bit on hotter side. This also affects the machine.

I noticed that if I run old programs which do not use process much, there is no shut down, no matter how long I use it. For example I can use Adobe Flash Player 9 without any problem, but 10 or above shuts the machine after few minutes.

Last time it got shut down on antivirus scan for whole hdd. Though old version of same antivirus ran OK.

As it is difficult to get old versions now and also since I use this machine just for processing type background jobs, I found that suspending the new programs when it crosses 70% or more, helps. I can do it, say pause the anti virus when it goes on high cpu use, but it requires me to sit before it.

If Process Tamer does it, I can have this old machine still of use.

Regards,

Anand

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If the machine is older, the thermal paste between the CPU and the metallic structure (heat sink) on which the CPU fan is mounted might be too old.

A fresh layer of such paste (after thoroughly cleaning off the old paste on both the CPU and the heat sink first!) would help bring it down a few degrees more. An after-market air-cooler for your CPU would bring the temperature even more. Check the big tech sites for reviews and "shootouts" of such models in (very) different price ranges.

Of course, there is water cooling and much more extreme full immersion solutions...in case you have money to burn and want to "play" with hardware.

[bad joke]
And if the machine still lives after that, you could try Linux on it.
[/bad joke]

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Shades,

I am now really thinking of opening my purse for it. Only 'soft' ware solution won't take me far. I have to make some 'hard' ware solution  :)

Hey mouser, don't stop but, PT will help nevertheless

Regards,

Anand

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Mouser,

Any date of new PT release ?

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Anand.
I do plan to update Process Tamer this year and incorporate some new features.

Jesko

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55 AM »
OFF-TOPIC for anandcoral:
Try to renew the cooling /Heatsink paste. It worked for all my old Notebooks so far (I really recommend Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5).

BR
Jesko

ruskiem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Amm, i need function for process to be killed when reach for example: 10% Cpu usage in last 10 secounds, or average

I tryed "Force Kill" but it kills instantly whenever proces will only show up, it insta kills it.
I need it to be killed only when it reach avverage xx% Cpu like 10%, how to do that?