topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043756 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #900 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13 PM »

The amount of work to do this is STAGGERING.  As is the fact the he was able to do it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #901 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13 AM »
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o

The amount of work to do this is STAGGERING.  As is the fact the he was able to do it.

it's great to be able to see how it's done (it almost makes it look easy).

The author, Sir Mashalot (that gave me a laugh) posted just an hour ago to celebrate 10k views - it's now at 1.1 million !
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #902 on: January 09, 2015, 05:46 PM »
I'm never sure of the dance music genres - what's what, I mean.
There's no video here, but worth a listen I reckon:

Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #903 on: January 12, 2015, 03:45 AM »
Epic Rap Battles (NSFW)

Hitler vs. Darth Vader?  :Thmbsup:

Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates?  :Thmbsup:

Lots more there too.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #904 on: January 12, 2015, 04:24 AM »
Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Battle:

I like her voice ...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #905 on: January 12, 2015, 05:38 AM »
Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Battle:

THAT WAS EXCELLENT!  :Thmbsup:

It was just so well done. They absolutely nailed it. The hangover stuff was really good - especially with "Ben" & "Tim" pouring drinks! ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #906 on: January 12, 2015, 08:02 AM »
I like her voice ...

Nice mezzo soprano! Very pure tonal quality.

Here's another superb female vocalist (contralto this time) and drummer who spun absolute magic before succumbing to complications after her unsuccessful battle with anorexia. Karen Carpenter was another one of these vocalists (like Presley) who might have left an even bigger mark in music history had they not done so much schlock (although very good schlock) pop music in their careers.

karen.png

I still can't listen to this autobiographical song without feeling bad. She was as lovely a woman inside as she was outside and vocally.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:17 AM by 40hz »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #907 on: January 13, 2015, 03:35 AM »

Featured in movie There's Something About Mary ...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #908 on: January 13, 2015, 03:53 AM »
Karen Carpenter was another one of these vocalists (like Presley) who might have left an even bigger mark in music history had they not done so much schlock (although very good schlock) pop music in their careers.

I know what you mean, yet I think the stuff they did was perfect. Perfectly done, perfectly sung, with this dreamlike perfect-world vibe (I know the lyrics were at times about darker things).
And what a voice :-*
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #909 on: January 13, 2015, 08:10 AM »
^Perhaps "schlock" wasn't quite the word I was looking for. Let's call it "sweet" instead... :)

The Carpenters were just a couple of the "local kids" where I grew up. It caught me completely by surprise when doing my post how thinking about Karen's passing still hurts almost as much as it did the day we first learned about it.

On a positive note, her untimely death brought the whole issue of nervous eating disorders into a broader public awareness such that they're now seen (and treated) as the serious psychological and medical problems they actually are, rather than just some "silly hysterical women's thing a good swift kick in the ass would cure."

Sad how so often the price for real social change comes at the cost of a human life.

So it goes...

This was her last recording.

Here's the story behind the song.
It's long
In June 1981, Karen and Richard released "Made In America" and made a world tour to promote the album with appearances in Brazil and Germany. In November of that year, she and Richard returned home to California. Karen and her husband Tom Burris formally separated that same month. Shortly after Christmas, Karen moved to New York to begin treatment for her anorexia. She sought treatment with psychotherapist Steven Levenkron who was noted for his research into anorexia nervosa and self injury.

In April 1982, she took a two-week vacation from her treatment and returned home to California. She and Richard returned to the studio and recorded several songs, including this song, "Now.". At the time of this recording, Karen was heavily anorexic. Richard says she had lost even more weight since the last time he had seen her the year before. Karen returned to New York and stayed there until November 1982. During a two-month stay in a hospital, she was fed intravenously and gained 30 pounds. She returned home for Thanksgiving that year. Although she felt that she was cured, Richard says she just didn't look well and he told her so. The additional weight of 30 pounds added back suddenly on a body that had been underweight for so many years further strained her weakened heart, and she died of heart failure on the morning of February 4, 1983. She was just 32 years old, a month shy of her 33rd birthday.

Following Karen's death, Richard returned to the studio and worked on his and Karen's last recordings, including two of the songs she recorded in 1982 as well as other songs from previous recording sessions over the years before. The album, "Voice of the Heart" was released in October 1983, eight months after Karen's death.

"Now" was a work lead, recorded in one take, and was intended to familiarize the musicians with the song as well as Richard's arrangement of it. After a complete music track had been recorded, Karen would have then returned to the studio and recorded new vocals for the song. But as it was, the work lead turned out to be the last song Karen ever recorded.

There's an old legend about the swan's song - how the Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) which is completely mute during its lifetime until the moment just before it dies, is said to sing one beautiful song. Over the years, listeners have commented on the lyrics of the song and knowing what we know now, wonder if perhaps Karen had had a premonition of what was to come. Indeed, "Now" can be said to have been Karen's "swan song."

Now

Now,
Now when it rains, I don't feel cold.
Now that I have your hand to hold,
The winds might blow through me
but I don't care.
There's no harm in thunder if you are there.

And now,
now when we touch, my feelings fly.
Now when I'm smiling, I know why.
You light up my world like the morning sun.
You're so deep within me, we're almost one.

And now all the fears that I had start to fade.
I was always afraid love might forget me,
love might let me down.
Then look who I found.

The winds might blow through me
but I don't care.
There's no harm in thunder if you are there.

And now, now,
now when I wake, there's someone home.
I'll never face the nights alone.
You gave me the courage I need to win,
to open my heart and to let you in.
And I never really knew how, until now,

Until now.

No, I never really knew how,
until now

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:46 AM by 40hz »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:36 AM by panzer »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #911 on: January 14, 2015, 04:24 AM »
I've seen a few interviews with Billy Corgan. He's got a lot more going on for him than just being a fantastic musician.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #912 on: January 14, 2015, 05:55 AM »
^Perhaps "schlock" wasn't quite the word I was looking for. Let's call it "sweet" instead... :)

ouch, I watched a live concert from 1976 (Carpenters - Live in Holland) - that was schlock, painful really most of it :(
But still a fan of most of the studio stuff - the singles anyways, I never had an album by them.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #913 on: January 14, 2015, 06:09 AM »
[The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979]

nice to hear that one again :Thmbsup:
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #914 on: January 14, 2015, 08:38 AM »
[The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979]

nice to hear that one again :Thmbsup:

Just heard him singing that in 2014... and his voice has held up surprisingly well.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #915 on: January 17, 2015, 11:01 PM »

ouch, I watched a live concert from 1976 (Carpenters - Live in Holland) - that was schlock, painful really most of it :(
But still a fan of most of the studio stuff - the singles anyways, I never had an album by them.

You have to remember the times. If you were a woman in pop music you were The Singer. Period.

Funny thing was, she always thought of herself primarily as a drummer who also sang rather than just as a singer.
Most of her fans never knew she was a phenomenal drummer who was actually recognized and acknowledged by many of the 'name' drummers of her era. But even that wasn't enough to get Karen out from under that microphone and evening gown. A woman drummer? The music industry was having none of it. Except for when they thought it would be "funny" to have her dashing back and forth between drumsets as a novelty number on TV.

And despite the advances made by women in music since the 70s, not all that much has changed in the recording industry.

Sad.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:20 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #916 on: January 17, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Not much of a video, but still a great song: Icarus written by Ralph Towner and performed by The Paul Winter Consort.

Paul Winter and Ralph Towner have each recorded a dozen or more versions of this classic. I personally think this early recording (below) was the best.

FWIW, Ralph Towner considers this live version to be the definitive recording:

While the audio quality is definitely better, I can't help but feel it's just a little too self-conscious and refined compared to the original. To my mind it's lost some of the spontaneity and improvisatory quality of the first recording. But who am I to argue with the guy who bloody wrote it? ;D

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #917 on: January 21, 2015, 04:06 AM »

Reminds me of post-apocalyptic Earth where only a small group of people is still alive. One of these groups lives on a beach on Hawaii - they have a party and this song is playing in the background :)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #918 on: January 21, 2015, 07:23 AM »
The original take of I'm Losing You by John Lennon, featuring Rick Nielsen and Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick on guitar and drums and Tony Levin on bass.

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #919 on: January 21, 2015, 07:59 AM »
featuring Rick Nielsen and Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick on guitar and drums and Tony Levin on bass.

Wow! Talk about an all-star lineup. I'm always impressed how the real pros, who can play anything, know when (and have enough self-confidence) to go with a lean & mean minimalistic arrangement when it serves the song.

But that's what separates the professional musicians from the wannabes. It's all about serving the song. :Thmbsup:

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #920 on: January 21, 2015, 01:23 PM »
^ That's one of the reasons I'm making sure my son gets a good foundation in Motown as he learns drums. Nobody ever made more music out of fewer notes than James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #921 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00 PM »
^ That's one of the reasons I'm making sure my son gets a good foundation in Motown as he learns drums. Nobody ever made more music out of fewer notes than James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin.

That's funny. I cut my teeth on Motown when I first started learning to play electric bass. To this day I still tend to leave a lot of space in my lines, frame things around a syncopated backbeat, and almost automatically toss in a little funk whenever I play something. A lot of that came from listening to Jamerson. He was one of my big inspirations. His part on Heard It Through the Grapevine was one of the first Motown songs I really analyzed well enough to actually understand what I was hearing. Awesome bass player! Along with Chuck Rainey, Duck Dunn, Bob Babbitt, Wilt Felder, Carol Kaye and all those other greats too numerous to list.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #922 on: January 21, 2015, 03:15 PM »
The guys who first made me want to play bass were Paul McCartney, John Paul Jones, and Steve Harris, but Jamerson, Dunn, and Tommy Shannon taught me how to get there.

Okay, I can't really play any Steve Harris bass lines, but my fingers aren't built to glide across the strings like that. A guitarist friend of mine refers to them as hammers.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #923 on: January 21, 2015, 04:33 PM »
^In my case, the chief inspirations in my formative years were: Paul McCartney, Jonathan Lodge, Andy Kulburg, Greg Lake, and Dave Paton. I'm pretty much UK inspired with the exception of Andy Kulberg. Hmm...roots in Motown but heavily influenced by that melodic UK vibe. No wonder I don't sound like anybody else according to people I've played with. I don't know what I am!!!! ;D

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #924 on: January 22, 2015, 03:35 AM »