topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: IdleMute - Tray utility to mute speaker when you are away from the PC!  (Read 111728 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm... maybe make that an option, so the user could decide whether to use A_TimeIdle or A_TimeIdlePhysical?

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I guess that would be pretty easy to do, the only problem is the TimeIdlePhysical seems to be buggy at the moment and sometimes does not respond to keyboard and/or mouse movement even after you come back to the computer.

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
 :) Chris over at www.autohotkey.com has just confirmed a bug in A_TimeIdlePhysical, so things are looking up!

Skrommel

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
so things are looking up!

Skrommel
I hope you are right :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.autohotkey.com/changelog/ :

Changes & New Features
1.0.42.04 - March 6, 2006
[...]
Fixed A_TimeIdlePhysical being disrupted by simulated AltGr keystrokes. [thanks skrommel]
[...]

:Thmbsup:

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oh this is great news... now we just need a recompiled .exe :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
noticed this related freeware app at freewareworldteam:
http://www.rtsoft.co...e/help100/help.shtml

Smart Mute is a tray application that has several functions aimed at the person who sits in front of his computer all day like I do. Every time I personally need a hard to find function on my computer I will add it to this program... I don't want 50 tray icons so I like to consolidate many functions in one, right now there are three major functions. Feel free to visit the Smart Mute chatwall to suggest more!

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
noticed this related freeware app at freewareworldteam:
http://www.rtsoft.co...e/help100/help.shtml

last updated 3-6-2000
:(

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
 :) I must have forgotten to upload IdleMute v2.0, but it's at www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel. It corrects the A_TimeIdlePhysical error.

Thanks Chris!

Skrommel

IrmaIsfot

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey!

On my Win2000, the tray icon flickers irregularly.  Maybe because it is an old PIII 700MHz office machine..?  :-\

Anyways, I made some modifications to stop this:

;somewhere in the beginning, where other variables are initialized
currentIcon := 0

;in the CHECKMUTE-routine
If mute=On
{
  If currentIcon <> 5
  {
    Menu,Tray,Icon,IdleMute.exe,5,5
    currentIcon := 5
  } 
  Menu,Tray,Check,&Mute
}
Else
{
  If (active="1" And enabled="1" And running="0")
  {
    If currentIcon <> 3
    {
      Menu,Tray,Icon,IdleMute.exe,3,3
      currentIcon := 3
    }
  }
  Else
  {
    If currentIcon <> 4
    {
      Menu,Tray,Icon,IdleMute.exe,4,4
      currentIcon := 4
    }
  } 
  Menu,Tray,UnCheck,&Mute
}

This only replaces the icon when it actually changes, eliminating the flickering.

Maybe this is completelly unnecessary on all the Tera-Hz super mega machines out there, but it works for me... :)

/IrmaIsfot

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On my Win2000, the tray icon flickers irregularly.  Maybe because it is an old PIII 700MHz office machine..?  :-\
Yep, probably... try to get your hands on an old P-IV machine, it's more fun to use. I don't even dare to ask how much RAM you got ;)

Anyways, I made some modifications to stop this:
Sounds like a nice idea!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've just been introduced to this program from this thread. I'm not interested in the muting function of this utility, but I am interested in its ability to run programs after being idle for a few minutes. I can't find documentation on the proper usage of the program. Does the program need to actually mute my speakers to be considered "Idle & Mute" to run a program? Do I have to set it to one minute to mute and then one minute to Idle & Mute before a program can run? So the minimum amount of time before it will run is two minutes?

I noticed that when setting the active IdleMute times, it doesn't remember the seconds. I don't know if this is like the hotkeys where it remembers them but doesn't display them properly or if the seconds are just pointless. If they're pointless, why are they even there?

I also thought that I read that a single click on the icon would display the volume bar. That doesn't happen for me.

And while I was reading over this post before submitting it, it ran the program even though I had been moving my mouse just seconds beforehand.

IrmaIsfot

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@brotherS

Hmpfr!  Insulted!  ;)

I have 256MB of RAM!  Ha!

Seriously, though, it is my work computer, where I normally use only Office apps.  I'd have a hard time motivating my IT support I need more power...

At home, where I have a more up to date system, there is no noticable flickering.  Still, the method proposed above feels...  I don't know... Optimized? :D

Doing that update even when it's not necessary, just because it makes no noticable difference is the first step towards bloating, don't you think?  I was around in the middle of the 80's and the first home computers.  They could run incredible games and apps on just a couple of MHz of 8-bit processing, using a few kb of memory!  Then you really had to optimize the usage of the limited available resources!  Today, you need 512 mb of memory to feel comfortable...

Anyways, this little comment is - of course - in no way meant as criticism towards Skrommel, who makes a fantastic job with all these little amazing gadgets!  After all, we are working with a 'simple' scripting tool that probably isn't that focused on optimization in the first place.  Or is it?

Many thanks to Skrommel for his work and inspiration to fiddle around with this myself!

/IrmaIsfot

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've just been introduced to this program from this thread. I'm not interested in the muting function of this utility, but I am interested in its ability to run programs after being idle for a few minutes.
Good to see you found the solution in the thread you mentioned :)

Doing that update even when it's not necessary, just because it makes no noticable difference is the first step towards bloating, don't you think?  I was around in the middle of the 80's and the first home computers.  They could run incredible games and apps on just a couple of MHz of 8-bit processing, using a few kb of memory!  Then you really had to optimize the usage of the limited available resources!  Today, you need 512 mb of memory to feel comfortable...

Anyways, this little comment is - of course - in no way meant as criticism towards Skrommel, who makes a fantastic job with all these little amazing gadgets!  After all, we are working with a 'simple' scripting tool that probably isn't that focused on optimization in the first place.  Or is it?
Well, only 256 MB is bad... I hope your OS is not XP ;)

You are right, many programs are 'bloatware' nowaydays, but AutoHotkey sure isn't. It's slim and fast, and adding your code surely won't bloat anything :D

UniSoL

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love this program.

mojomuse

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sorry if this has already been mentioned/solved (only i didn't see anything), but i've recently noticed the app doesn't appear to be picking up my activity after it's gone into idle/mute mode - with time out set @ 3-5 mins.

anyone else have this problem or any ideas what the issue might be that's causing it ..?

ps never had this happen with previous version of the app (now running what i believe is the latest, i.e. 2.1).

cheers ..