topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: IdleMute - Tray utility to mute speaker when you are away from the PC!  (Read 111724 times)

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Tray utility to mute speaker when you are away from the computer!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 04:55 PM »
 :) I give in!

IdleMute v1.5 has better icons and shows the Windows' volume slider on singleclick, so now you can just hide the original tray icon!

Skrommel

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2005, 05:24 PM »
thank you skrommel!  :D

I like this icon a little better and its nice to have access to the volume slider

I do have 1 question:

when I start IdleMute, the icon is green.. if I double-click, the icon goes red (muted)... if I double click again, the speaker un-mutes, but the IdleMute icon stays red.  In fact it never goes green again ....... is this a bug or is that how its supposed to work?
thanks!!

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2005, 06:16 PM »
 :tellme: Mine works just fine! What could this be? Anyone else with this problem?

Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2005, 06:23 PM »
works perfect here (using exe version), toggles between red and green without flaw.
skrommel the gui is great - i can see this may usher in a whole new world of skrommel utilities with nice gui configurations - i shudder to think.  might i also add that this little utility rocks.

luckman maybe does the toggling work properly when you do it from the menu and when you double click - is it only the icon that doesn't change properly?  i know what windows sometimes has issues with refreshing icons..

ps.
don't forget to make a little donation to skrommel if you can afford it to support his work!

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2005, 06:38 PM »
ok i figured it out... ;D

what it is is this:

when you start IdleMute, its icon is green....... I set my settings so IM is only active between 9pm and 9am.  Right now its 7:33pm my time.  So when I double clicked, the icon goes red.  then i double click again, and even though Speaker un-mutes, the icon stays red because technically IdleMute is "not active" because its not 9pm yet.  I did not know about this feature!

so anyway, the only "problem" is that no matter whether the program is within range or not, it seems like when you first launch it, the tray icon is green..... that is maybe the only tiny bug.  ;)

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2005, 02:34 AM »
 :-\ Here's how I want it to work:

A red icon when IdleMute is muted, no matter what.
A green icon when enabled, inside time limits and not muted.
A grey icon when disabled or outside time limits and not muted.

Try the version I just uploaded!

Skrommel

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2005, 02:35 AM »
Hi Skrommel,

I didn't update to 1.5 yet but want to tell you about a bug in 1.4 that still might be present: in the "idlemute time frame" I set IdleMute did *not* mute the volume after the specified time. Only when I - after some hours - moved the mouse IdleMute kicked in, muted the volume and immediately unmuted it again.

I experienced this two nights in a row.

The last night I also noticed that Winamp was using almost 100% of the CPU until I moved the mouse, might be related?

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2005, 05:21 AM »
 :tellme: I don't think this is IdleMute... On the other hand, I don't see how another program could mess up the activation, unless it somehow disrupts the idle timer in AutoHotkey.

Skrommel

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2005, 05:55 AM »
:tellme: I don't think this is IdleMute... On the other hand, I don't see how another program could mess up the activation, unless it somehow disrupts the idle timer in AutoHotkey.
Hmm, I tried the 1.5 now with a much shorter interval and it works... maybe this problem is/was related to my other active AHK scripts?

When you double-click the icon it stays green and switches to red only when totally muted. But when you double-click it again it switched to green immediately, even before unmuting.
No big deal, just wanted to mention it :)

Btw, is it possible that you didn't yet update to the latest version of http://fileforum.bet...otkey&os=windows ?

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :) That is actually what happens - when muting it first turns down the volume gradually, then mutes - when unmuting it turns down the volume, unmutes and then gradually increases the volume. But yes, I could change the icon more "correctly".

Skrommel

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ps. don't forget to make a little donation to skrommel if you can afford it to support his work!

finally made my donation!  sorry it took so long skrommel.......... :)
p.s- donation will be coming from CashTurtle.com fyi

p.p.s-- I know this is a real nitpick but is it possible to make any more tweaks to the tray icon?  i mean does the AHK compiler support 32-bit icons?  just compare these 2 next to each other you see what I mean.... the IdleMute speaker looks like it was built in the 1980s... hehe  :-[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 10:12 PM by LuckMan212 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
luckman you must have a nice lcd monitor to notice the difference at that size :)

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i do have a decent samsung LCD but its only a 17"...... 1280x1024......... for some reason that non-antialiased icon just rubs me the wrong way...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
what about making an icon for skrommel - i'm sure he wouldnt mind using a better one if you could make it for him.

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok I will try!  I don't know if AutoHotKey can use 32bit icons though?

edit:  I have made  a small set of icons... please go to the next page to see the post................
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:06 PM by LuckMan212 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Tray utility to mute speaker when you are away from the computer!
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2005, 11:10 AM »
i'd say make it with as many colors as you want and it can always be downsampled.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 02:07 AM by brotherS »

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok here they are... they are just small modifications of the icons in stobject.dll with some retouching... but I think they will do the job... and they are 32bit with alphachannel...   16x16 size only....

download:
http://solvent-LLC.com/files/Idlemute_Icons.zip

preview:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:08 PM by LuckMan212 »

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :) The icons are 32 bit - the problem is 32x32 pixel icons being resized to 16x16. AutoHotkey only supports adding one 32x32 pixel icon, so I had to ResHack a file used when compiling.

So have a look at IdleMute v1.6!

Added better icons, mute/unmute action and volume hotkeys!

Skrommel

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow skrommel you are at it again!!  :D this program is really turning into something!! now its worthy of shareware I think and is no longer what I would call a "snack" but more like a 5 course meal!  :Thmbsup:

well some comments of course:

1) you didn't like my icons? :-)  well ok, yours are OK

2) hotkey is very cool feature, but when setting hotkey, if you close then reopen the settings window, the checkboxes are cleared as if it did not "remember" your settings-- even though the hotkey still works. For example in this screenshot, I had previously clicked  the 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' checkboxes for "mute hotkey" + number 6.  Then I closed and reopened the settings and now it looks like this:

it's a little hard to remember what the ~^! means etc.. any way to have it bring back the actual checkboxes etc so it looks like it does when you first save it?

3) the hotkey to change volume +/- is really handy-- but how about an option like
(x) play beep sound when changing volume

so user can get an audible feedback of how low/high the volume is when they are using the hotkeys, if they have the "show volumebar" option disabled (as I do- -- I dont want to make an extra click to dismiss this small window... i'm lazy!) 
:-[

4) can we have option to disable the "soft fade" in and out when muting?  sometimes I want to mute IMMEDIATELY (i.e. when phone rings,etc) and fade is sometimes too slow... :)

maybe next one should be called IdleMute 2.0 ?

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :) Updated to IdleMute v1.7.

Added option to disable fading, added audio feedback when changing volume.

Still not pleased with the hotkeys, though.

Skrommel

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D  ;D
brilliant!

the hotkey situation is not a huge problem, if you can figure out a way to do it, then thats just icing on this already very delicious cake

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
3) the hotkey to change volume +/- is really handy-- but how about an option like
(x) play beep sound when changing volume
You don't really want to disturb the music you listen to with a beep, do you?  :o

Instead I suggest the great, great Toaster plugin for Winamp: http://www.winamp.co...etails.php?id=138586

You can set it to display a Toast with the volume being shown whenever you change the volume, very handy IMHO and works great together with IdleMute!

Here are a few alternatives of how it COULD look:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 05:15 AM by brotherS »

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hey skrommel, I saw you updated IdleMute to v1.8............... can you tell us what the changes were?  :)

btw.. I have been running 1.7 for a few days now and it is working like a charm!!  thanks again for the peaceful nights sleep!!  :Thmbsup:

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi LuckMan212,

I'd be happy if you'd reply to my last post too :)

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi BrotherS..... yes I saw your post... thank you for the info on that plugin.  It looks very pretty actually, but since i have 3 monitors, screen space is not a problem for me and I usually just leave the main winamp window open while I'm listening...... the volume knob is easy enough to see.  I use the incredible MMD3 skin which is wonderful.

my request for playing the beeps was more for times when I am not playing music, but rather just doing normal activities and want to lower the volume for example if a phone call comes in etc.