topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CSS and field width  (Read 6017 times)

larystoy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • View Profile
    • Jazy Webs by Larry
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
CSS and field width
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Just learning PHP and CSS, need a bit of help here.

Am doing a web site for a local musical ministry. Like most, if they see anything like "<"P">" or "<"h5">," AHHHH!!! computer programing, don"t know how, don't want to know.

What I am trying to do is provide a method whereby they can make changes to things like their online News Letter and such with just a plain text file.

The following allows me to read a text file into the page. Problem is it is full screen width. What I want to do is limit the width of the displayed text.

h3 id="content1-title" class="handcursor">About Us/h3>
div id="content1" class="switchgroup1">
p align="left" style="font-size:12px;font-family:Verdana;color:#000000" />
pre>
?php echo readfile("file1.txt"); ?>
/pre>
/p>
/div>

The above does require a JS file and bit of SCRIPT to work correctly. An example can be seen at http://www.websbylar...adfiles/readfile.php

As you click on a word, the drop down text displays. Now I need to knw how to limit the width either with XHTML or CSS.

The full page can be seen at http://www.websbylar...istries/default.html

In the above link the information is embeded in the HTML source, and I don't want the ministry to be dependant on me when a change needs to be made.

Thanks for any assistance
Larry Arnold
[email protected]
www.websbylarry.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: CSS and field width
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:12 AM »
There are actually a few scripts that you can use that would let them safely and easily edit online ONLY THE PARTS OF THE PAGE you want them to.

We've posted about a couple of them in the past but i don't have any particular experience with them and can't remember the names -- hopefully a follow up poster will.

I do know they are designed for basically the exact case you are talking about -- where you have a non-technical client who need to be able to do regular minor editing of some page content, without letting them mess up the entire web design.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34 AM »
A (basic) CMS is no solution for them? (like Wordpress, Joomla!, Drupal etc.)

Most of those CMS'es come with an editor (FCK editor, TinyMCE) that looks and feels like a stripped down Word application.

These editors can also be used/included in your own PHP scripts as well (both are open source).

Guglielmo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Depending on what markup language you are using, you should be able to accomplish your purpose with an <iframe> or an <object>.

These tags can be used to define an area on your page that will display the contents of another file, such as a plain text file, another webpage, an image, etc.