topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: JauntePE - freeware virtualizer  (Read 15553 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
JauntePE - freeware virtualizer
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:30 PM »
JauntePE is quite a popular freeware alternative to make applications portable. it has been mentioned several times before in DC. and today the author Redlar has decided to make the latest release publicly available. its forums has a comprehensive guide on usage so be sure to check it up as well.

JauntePE1.png
• Source: http://www.portablef...52&ts=1226345143

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: JauntePE - freeware virtualizer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Wow, that sounds great!

Thanks for pointing this out.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:27 PM »
you're welcome, ewemoa. :)

apparently the author made a brief appearance here some time ago.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Has anyone had any success with Jaunte?

I finally got some time today to have a go with it.  The docs are pretty vague for the uninitiated, so I went to the forums to find some more in-depth info.

I found a couple of threads that appeared to be helpful, but frankly, they have left me more mistified than before, largely due to a lack of consistency on the part of the thread authors using names of the Jaunte components that don't match up with reality.  One thread even gives a step by step walk through, using an app known to work with Jaunte, but the procedure referred to an executable that doesn't exist in the current distribution (030a).

So I'm back to square one.

I'd like to portablize (sp?) a few things, but not having alot of luck.  Are there other apps available that allow you to package 'wares into a portable form?

Cheers!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Has anyone had any success with Jaunte?

Back when I was really interested in it, (around v0.11), I had a play making a few things portable - worked OK, may require some fiddling to get it to work exactly as required.

Generally the The JauntePE 12-step Program works well to initially get your app portable and then you can fiddle around with it to get it how you want.  Mind you, I haven't had a look at 0.30 yet, so the creation may have changed a little.

If you want to have a play, I recommend you start with one of the programs that someone else has already succeeded in making portable, eg. Putty.

I'd like to portablize (sp?) a few things, but not having alot of luck.  Are there other apps available that allow you to package 'wares into a portable form?

Commercial: VMWare ThinApp, (which was previously Thinstall), but if you think selling your soul to join DonationCoder was expensive you ain't seen nothing yet.

Portable Application Creation Master - I don't know whether it's commercial or not, it appears on a few warez sites - do a search, it'll be easy to find.  EDIT: Appears to be a collection of freeware programs with a guide telling you how to go about making a program portable.  Uses AutoIt scripts to create/destroy necessary dirs and registry entries.

MojoPac, the basic version is free, the Professional version isn't but at $49.95 is about 100-200 times less expensive than ThinApp.

Another free alternative is just to use NSIS to create a self-contained, self-extracting binary that creates all the needed dirs/reg entries at run time and cleans up afterward - however, if your app crashes rather than terminating normally you'll probably leave dirs and reg entries on the host system........but you'll have to learn it's scripting system.

You can also use WinRAR, 7Zip, or other archivers that allow you to create self-extracting binaries - just add a batch file that is called after extraction to run the app and then cleanup after it.  Same caveat as NSIS above.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:10 PM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32 AM »
<Self-Plug>
Also check out Portable Application Wrapper in the case that the executable is not in the root directory.  It basically launches any other program when it's launched- very useful when the menuing system you use for portable applications adds apps that are in the root of the apps directory.
</Self-Plug>