topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A Petition to Beg DC member Ecaradec to write Multi-FScript v2.0  (Read 6156 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It's been incredible to watch what people like czechboy have done with ecaradec's indescribably cool FScript plugin DLL for FARR, that allows people to write plugins for FARR using javascript.

Indeed i am still completely amazed at what ecaradec created.

And then watching how czechboy ran with the concept and just kept making more and better plugins.. i'm speechless.

It's only the amazingness of ecaradec's Fscript that makes one think about other possibilities.

This post is meant to start a thread for us to discuss the possibility of a higher-level fscript interface that would work with multiple javascript (python script, etc) addon scripts, without them needing to each have their own DLL.

This idea has come up before but was dismissed because of difficulties and because it wasn't clear how exactly it should work.

I'd like to revive the discussion and see if we can't perhaps beg/encourage ecaradec to consider actually taking a second look at this idea.

Just to summarize the advantages and the basic approach, it is this:

Currently to write a plugin for FARR using javascript you would create a new plugin project, copy the basic fscript.dll into it, and implement some basic functionalities, and then load it into FARR as an independent plugin.

The new idea would use one single plugin DLL for fscript that was loaded into FARR.  This multi-fscript plugin would then itself manage a whole subdirectory of simple fscript-based plugins.

Such plugin fscripts would therefore be easier to write, could share some javascript core functions, and would be easier for people to write and test and share.  And it would avoid having to have 10 DLLs loaded if you have 10 traditional fscript-based plugins.

I think such an approach would also open up the door for some dqsd like multi-plugin systems.  Once a multi-fscript plugin system was written it wouldnt be hard to make some shared javascript code that could provide a dqsd-like api for user scripts -- making it even EASIER for novices to write new plugin scripts.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Petition to Beg DC member Ecaradec to write Multi-FScript v2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:48 AM »
I have to say that it sounds like a compelling arguement.

I look forward to hearing Ecaradec's thoughts.

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Thank you mouser for all the indescribably cool compliments. I think the way to do it is to define a regex based script, that would select the plugin to call, tell him if it is explicit or not, etc...
I think too that light plugin would be nice for farr as it would enable easier plugin sharing. We have a long week-end in France that begin tomorrow, I should be able to have a look at what is needed.
I've a bit lost my motivation and I'm also working on some other projects, so encouragement are really welcomed :).
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Great news that you may take a look!  :Thmbsup:

I've only recently started using mouser's FARR, your amazing FScript, czechboy's FScript plug-ins, as well as other FARR plug-ins by other authors, but I'm really looking forward to development on this front!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Wonderful news!
I don't think you should feel constrained to make it compatible with fscript v1, so if there are things that would be easier to do differently, by all means do.

As you say, i think it makes sense to have the dll be like a supervisor of plugin scripts -- it could actually query each plugin script and ask them if they want to handle the search and then hand over control to the first plugin script that wants to handle it.

Tell us what we can do to help and we stand ready like loyal soldiers!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29 PM »
What mouser said :) ...and thus, please count me in as a helper.