topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Source Code / Code Snippet Manager  (Read 40702 times)

murratore

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Source Code / Code Snippet Manager
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:14 AM »
hi there
As far as i can judge there are many programmers in this forum.
what software do you use for managing code snippets / source code fragments? I don't mean real Source code management tools (like subversion or sourcesafe).

On bitsdujour there is a discount on monday for "Source Code Library", but I'm not sure if there are better tools.
http://www.bitsdujou...source-code-library/

VideoInPicture

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Re: Source Code / Code Snippet Manager
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:39 PM »
Right now, I simply create a hierarchy of directories that are labelled descriptively and by language category to store all the interesting and useful programs I come across that have source code. I only keep the ones that provide something interesting and useful that I can't do off the top of my head. I go through each of the program files I have source code to and try to understand what is happening so I burn it into my head. I like having the full source code to a program that demonstrates the use of the code instead of simply snippets because over the long term, I will probably forget how to use the snippet!

Often, I will use Google to locate source code if I don't store it locally.
Author of Circle Dock: http://circledock.wikidot.com
Author of Video In Picture: http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com
Author of Webcam Signature: http://webcamsignature.wikidot.com
Author of Easy Unicode Paster: http://easyunicodepaster.wikidot.com

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Anything new?
I'd like to resurrect this thread.

I have some snippets and code that I would like to maintain in an app like the one mentioned above. But I, like many of you, prefer Open Source or free.

I attempted to use Adobe AIR app called Snipply http://code.google.com/p/snippely/
didnt like it :(
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:50 PM by jammo »

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:49 PM »
 :D

I found something ladies, gentlemen and coders!

It's got TONS of amazing features. A great one is:
Server Sychronization
To avoid having to carry a copy of the database from one PC to another gbCodeLib provides a built-in ability to FTP the current database files (source code, repository file, and object file) to a users' web site.

The app also has a portable version too INCLUDED!!! :)
gbFlashLib
For users who want to a carry their snippet database with them, usually in a USB Flash drive, a simpler version of gbCodeLib has been written. The portable version is called gbFlashLib. To use it, just copy two files - gbFlashLib.exe and gbCodeLib.txt - to any folder on your USB flash drive. Double-click on the EXE file in the flash drive to run the program. The gbFlashLib EXE file is included in the gbCodeLib distribution.

Best of all, gbCodeLib is free for non-commercial use (personal & educational).
Charge $30 for commercial or governmental environments.

gbCodeLib

gbCodeLib is a full-featured, multi-language
code librarian, powerful source code editor
and revision control manager. gbCodeLib has
an easy-to-use interface yet provides one of
the largest feature sets of any code librarian
available today. Over 1000 sample source code
snippets, including language mini-tutorials,
are included in the distribution.

gbCodeLib and its snippets can be updated online.

VB, VBA, VB.net, HTML, XML, Perl, ASP, PHP,
JavaScript, Java, Delphi, C++, C#, SQL and DOS
source code snippets are included in the distribution.

For more information, go to
the gbCodeLib home page at:

http://www.garybeene...gbware/gbcodelib.htm

EFF-ing awesome!
So glad I found this!
:P
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:23 AM »

X_____jamjammo_____

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:44 AM »
It sounds nice but it does not have drag-drop and Python support.

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:06 AM »
Am getting tons of Run-Time errors.
My thrill was too short-lived.

Any alternatives anyone?!

X_____jamjammo_____

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 01:15 AM »
Well I think best is to use a text editor with file browser like Notepad++ which supports advanced coding features also. I personally use Eclipse IDE+Vim(with NerdTree) and Notepad++ once in a while. VIm is great for browsing code, it supports many languages but you might feel more comfortable with notepad++. Do not forget to download NP++ plugins.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:27 AM »
Btw I forgot to mention this one

http://code-browser.sourceforge.net/

It could be useful

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24 PM »
After using the "Clip Collection" feature built into EditPad Pro, I'm coming to realize the benefits of using text snippets. The author of EditPad considers this feature so handy that he has written another whole app entirely dedicated to snippets called: "Ace Text". It is designed to work seamlessly with all Windows apps. I've already purchased four apps from JGSoft (and love them all), but haven't tried this one yet. May be worth a look...

mtelligent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:52 AM »
I created a product for managing code snippets too called Snip-It Pro.
http://www.snipitpro.com/

I modelled it after how snippets were handled in Homesite and Dreamweaver so it docks to the side of your screen so you can use it with any application that suppots drag and drop.

Just released a new version a couple weeks ago that has some useful features like code snippet templates, automatic commenting, syntax highlighting, global hot keys and integration with Snipplr, a web community for sharing code snippets online.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:01 AM »
looks nice mtelligent  :up:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I bought Source Code Library off of Bits, and have been very satisfied with it.  It actually does *more* than I need it to, as it has functionality similar to DirectAccess and Surfulater also.  :up:

mtelligent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 01:27 PM »
thanks mouser. I'll actually have Snip-It Pro at half price on Bits Du Jour Saturday July 11th.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:34 PM »
thanks mouser. I'll actually have Snip-It Pro at half price on Bits Du Jour Saturday July 11th.

I was just going to ask for DC discount. I have not tried but I will today.

The only thing I have not like it snapping behaviour. Is there a way to disable it ? I do not want to close the bar I just would like it to not to stay on to at all times
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:44 PM by kartal »

mtelligent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 02:57 PM »
When you say snapping, you mean the docking? when you hit the close button, it doesn't exit. It can be brought back from the system tray.

You can also try unpinning it and it will autohide.

Hope that helps.

-Dave

FSL

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Why don't try my DTT (Developer's Tips & Tricks)?  It's free...  :)

Free download from: DTT page

Best regards,
FSL

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Why don't try my DTT (Developer's Tips & Tricks)?  It's free...  :)

Free download from: DTT page

Best regards,
FSL

I actually tried that one but it did not have drag and drop support. To me without that feature I do not feel any need for using another application really. Do not get me wrong it looks works very nice but personally I prefer dd over many other features.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 02:50 AM »
When you say snapping, you mean the docking? when you hit the close button, it doesn't exit. It can be brought back from the system tray.

You can also try unpinning it and it will autohide.

Hope that helps.

-Dave

Dave, I personally am not big fan of docking apps but I am sure there are many who would prefer it due to convenience. So I closed it and tried to use it without the docking bar. But it seems like the main window is not handling the drag and drops the way the side bar was handling.  The other thing is that everytime I dd from FF it keeps asking me to specify a target. The thing is that I have been already dropping on target on the docking bar. 

I guess I am not used to the way your application has been designed. So I just keep hitting certain walls here.

It is a very nice app but I will pass on this one. Here are my reasons

-No dark themes(text, highlighting, background)
-Drag and drop support is mainly supported for the docking bar.
-no search highlighting (searched words)

mtelligent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 02:07 PM »
kartal, Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure what the firefox issue is. When I drag text from firefox to a folder in the toolbar dock, it creates a new snippet fine. I just need to type a description and save.

As far as dark themes, go, I am using a control vendor that provides themes, so until they make another layout available, i will add it.

Drag and Drop for the main window is something I am working on. That whole window is new to the program, it used to be a separate popup window for each snippet.

Search highlighting is a great idea, and something I will consider for the next point release.

Thanks,

-David

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 04:07 PM »
kartal, Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure what the firefox issue is. When I drag text from firefox to a folder in the toolbar dock, it creates a new snippet fine. I just need to type a description and save.
-David

David, that issue was happening with the main window. The snippet bar seems fine, it is just not my way of dealing with collecting information.

Another solution could be a dropbox instead of large side bar or customizable global shortcut support(windows key) for toggling the snippet bar.

I am really happy to hear about new stuff you are working on, definetely they will add great value.

Btw I did not have time to check out the folder structure. Is it saving files in flat files in folders? That would be great because it would make it easy to exchange between other applications.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Shameless self-promotion:

PhraseExpress can save text and code snippets and organize them in categories. Additionally, it includes a clipboard cache, supports html/rtf text formatting and bitmaps in the text snippets.

Check it out at http://www.phraseexpress.com

It is free for personal use.
Michael

mtelligent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 10:46 PM »
kartal, the snippets are xml files stored in normal windows folders. When you add a snippet collection (basically a high level folder), you specify the folder location where the xml files get saved. You can even put them on network shares so teams can use the same snippets.

I can probably easily add support for a global hot key to toggle the visibility of the docking bar. I already allow you to assign global hot keys to use specific snippets. I'll let you know when that is implemented.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 12:15 AM »
kartal, the snippets are xml files stored in normal windows folders. When you add a snippet collection (basically a high level folder), you specify the folder location where the xml files get saved. You can even put them on network shares so teams can use the same snippets.

I can probably easily add support for a global hot key to toggle the visibility of the docking bar. I already allow you to assign global hot keys to use specific snippets. I'll let you know when that is implemented.

Hmm, I can see why xml is the choice for file format, but that means that the user cannot browse the snippets with another editor. I also tried exporting the a snippet but it is not giving any text based file choice, only archive format? So basically there is not any way to take the file(s) out of Snip-it pro except copy pasting I guess.

I am personally looking for an easy way to collect snippets but does not necessarily mean that I would want to be tied to Snippet application to browse them. Just an observation. I think you made a design desicion and it works fine as it is.

Please update this thread when you have the toggling. I would definetely try it.

mtelligent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 08:01 AM »
I Implemented the feature last night and just published it this morning.

CTRL, ALT, "S" will toggle the visibility of the snippet toolbar now.

By the way, There is another way to get snippets out of Snip-It Pro. You can publish them to Snipplr.com. Sign up for an account and enter your app ID into Snip-It Pro to enable this feature. Besides Snip-It Pro, there are plugins for Textmate and other programs that will allow you to get your snippets from Snipplr, so you won't be tied to Snip-It Pro. Snipplr is a pretty cool code snippet community, and every snippet you favorite, is viewable in Snip-It Pro.