topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 9:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: agnitum outpost v3 - the horror?  (Read 37719 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: agnitum outpost v3 - the horror?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 11:54 AM »
great find with the changelog page!!! that's going right into my website watcher.

jason, the author of ghostwall is a member here, he's a good programmer, and he's been nice enough to donate some copies of his other software to the site which we've given away in the past.  definitely worth checking out his ghostsecurity site.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 11:55 AM »
I have bought Outpost now - but I will still check out the GS firewall. Thanks

Jason_R0

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Hi guys,

Interesting thread. One of my beta testers actually came to me with a problem he was having (random BSOD, depending upon what he was running). After some crash dump investigation, I saw the Agnitum driver as the culprit. It turns out it was Agnitum Outpost v2.7 , he later upgraded to v3.xx and he said the issues have now gone. He isn't happy with all the "garbage" in v3 which is why he didn't upgrade in the first place, but oh well, at least that one bug of his was fixed. :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:28 PM by Jason_R0 »

Zeph

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • The Z Project
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Hi Jason,

I must be lucky because I've not had a issue with v2.7. Thanks for the info though, it's duly noted.

Oh and thanks for Ghostwall. :)
A proud member of The Z Project, developers of the HLGuard & AutoBan anticheat systems, Z-Tweaked drivers and more...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 06:44 PM »
So it's been a few months since the last post here...how are you guys feeling about Outpost now?  Have most of the issues been resolved, or should people still be cautious about committing to it?  Thanks.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 06:48 PM »
I spent quite a while playing with Netveda but have now returned to the latest version of Outpost which seems to work pretty well as far as I can see. They have now added preset rules for common applications which means a lot fewer interruptions whilst Outpost learns what you allow to access the outside world. The ad blocker seems to coexist with AdMuncher quite happily and is configurable. I still don't trust the Spyware plugin to coexist with Webroot's SpySweeper so at the mo I have disable SpySweeper as the plugin feels less resource hungry - though I am not sure how it compares in effectiveness.

What do other Outpost users do about the Spyware plugin and other Anti-Spyware programs?

As I have posted elsewhere I have had a few memory problems causing BSODs so I am now wondering if I was blaming Outpost for BSODs earlier that had a different cause. I know when version 3 was released lots of people had BSOD problesm - have other people found this to be cured in the latest releases?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 06:50 PM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 06:51 PM »
I've been using it for several months and I'm happy with it.
It's not perfect (i still have an annoying problem using plain old internet explorer, and vmware requires some tricks to make work properly) but it's still the best i've seen, and i still very much like its general design.

so i would definitely recommend outpost as my firewall of choice, BUT i would still highly recommend trying it out for a while before making a purchase, to make sure it's right for you.

i do not use the antispyrware plugins so i cant comment on those - i might start using them at some point, i think it's not a bad idea.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 11:37 PM »
Great!  Very helpful discussion.  THanks.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 02:54 AM »
Ugh, I tried using Outpost again.  What a painful experience.  I don't know what it is, maybe it's interaction with Kaspersky or something, even though I read about how to make them coexist together properly.  Every time I try to use Outpost, it results in nothing but problems...slow internet, webpages not displaying, computer slowing down, computer working too hard, antivirus working too hard.  Geez.  I give up, I don't need this, do I?

Years ago, i used Zone Alarm and even though I got rid of it for the bloat, it's actual firewall functions never gave me any problems.  I'd train it a little in the beginning and that was it.  But then I tried Outpost because it was supposed to be better and lightweight, but it was a headache.  As I got better with computers, I keep trying it again like every year it seems like, and no luck.  I don't even think I need a firewall.