topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter For September 11th, 2008 - Codename "Mapping the Members"  (Read 29909 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for September 11th, 2008
Codename "Mapping the Members"

"If you read nothing else on our site, why bother to read this?"
(new rss feed with images)

1. Newsletter Editorial - Your Participation Requested!

For this newsletter we have a special request.  We're asking for your help in creating something fun. We've installed a map on the DonationCoder.com forum on which members can indicate their geographic location.  You can be as precise or as imprecise as you want, and there's no real practical value to anyone in participating -- but it's proven to be a real thrill to see all the different avatars across the globe, and it enhances the friendly atmosphere and sense of community.  So I hope you will take a minute to check out the new map and plant your pin.  Help us cover the map!

2. Monthly Shareware Discounts and Giveaway

Thanks to Carl Thorpe, we have exciting new discounts this month! Click the links below to read more about the software that is available at significant discount to DonationCoder supporting members. We also have a few licences for each title to giveaway this month -  you have until September 20th to enter the drawing. You can take advantage of the discounts until the end of the month.

3. Help and Advice from Member to Member:

Look no further than the DC forum if you're trying to make a decision about anything software or hardware related. A quick search of the forum might provide you with an answer, but if that doesn't work, post your question using the "New Topic" button at the upper right of the message board index - there's always someone who will drop by to give you a hand!

4. Fun And Games

Donationcoder.com is about coding and other issues related to how technology impacts our lives, but we like to have a our fun, too! Check out the links below for some lighter fare.

5. The Weird Wide Web

The web is an amazing phenomenon. It's gone from a geeky niche fixation to an indispensible part of most people's lives in little more than a decade and a half. There's more out there than anyone can explore in a dozen lifetimes, so it's always nice to have someone highlight interesting finds. Donationcoder members are active in sharing their discoveries. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks (in case you missed them!):

6. Software Discussion

Chances are you initially found your way to Donationcoder because you were searching for a software solution or for opinions about a software related issue. Software remains a huge part of DC and discussions about various applications and classes of software dominate the boards. Here are some recent postings of interest:

7. Mini-Reviews by Members

We LOVE to see members writing objective reviews on DC and here are a couple of recent ones to get your "review writing" juices flowing. Read these for inspiration and write one of your own!

8. Coding Snacks, DC Software, and Member Contributions

In this section of the newsletter we highlight posts from a number of boards that focus on software created by DC members. If you're new to DC, these boards are a great place to go if you're looking for something to enhance your workflow and you just can't find it. Post a clear and polite request and a DC member might just code it for you.

9. Developer's Corner

The developer's Corner features everything from in-depth discussions of programming languages to threads dealing with entrepreneurial issues. Despite what you might think, there probably IS something here for you.

Thanks to Darwin for his help writing the newsletter!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:30 PM by Darwin »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This would not be the same as knowing "which members are located where", but I use ClustrMaps (http://clustrmaps.com/) on the blogs I maintain. It gives a useful and anonymous picture of where in the world the people accessing the blog are located. I guess you could use it on members'-only pages to show anonymously where in the world members are accessing the pages from.

I have a distaste for any organisation or person holding much identification of individuals and the details about them, so ClustrMaps is quite a good compromise - because it is anonymous.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser  and Darwin,

Another good job with the newsletter!

Thanks  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ClustrMaps looks cool.

jamesdoc01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • On The Gers
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thought i had lost my membership. Not been well and first time back on in a while. Great reading. Keep up all the fantastic work guys. ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks guys  :Thmbsup:

the map is really filling up now - great!
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
404 members on the map and counting! come on guys+gals, add yourself and bring us over the 500 count line!

olepete

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have been a member for about two years and have finally managed to create an avatar and place myself on the map. Don't laugh! Things move slowly for a confused elderly geek with poor short term memory (there's a few of us out there!) Have enjoyed the newsletter immensely, learnt quite a bit and found some useful software. Keep up the great work. :Thmbsup:

wanderer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I never knew what real happiness was until I got m
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another great newsletter. Keep it up guys.
I never knew what real happiness was until I got married,......... by then, it was too late.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
good issue! now where's this month's 2nd edition? ;D

Click Cutter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newsletter For September 11th, 2008 - Codename "Mapping the Members"
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Thanks a lot
*** Click Cutter ***    FREE 3-in-1 Time Saving Automation Tool.
1. Automatic Copy & Paste  2. Automatic Online Research  3. Automatic URL Handler
*** (VIDEO) ***