topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best way to sync programming projects?  (Read 20867 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best way to sync programming projects?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 12:02 AM »
I copy and paste my projects before I run them anymore (run as in run the VS IDE) so I have "<appname> - Copy (#)" in my Projects folder, then I move those into my 1GB (and counting) backups ZIP file on the server PC as SyncToy 2 does it's thing...

TBH, I just don't get how to setup the advanced stuff - I read and it seems so simple, and then I try to follow it and dialogs are different, options are missing, and I end up fscking it all up. I'm just not ready to jump into it I guess (knowledge wise). :(

Oh well - webmaster is next year, and we might touch on databases and data management near the end of this semester in Windows Programming (Visual Basic), so I might be able to make my own little app that does it for me, in a way that I understand.

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life." I can't even find the stream!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I see this one lately on Slashdot:
"Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, put him on fire and he is warm his whole life."

;D

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 12:08 AM »
"Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, put him on fire and he is warm his whole life."

;D

For the rest of his life, that is ;D

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 12:34 AM »
Webmaster will likely not teach you anything about Version Control Systems like CVS, SVN and the rest. At least that is my experience here with the people that do that particular computing course at the (national) University here (the private ones really suck here by the way).

It's original intention is for big(ger) projects that require more than one developer. However, you can use it also as a backup because both systems contain the actual files and I personally helped out people that lost/damaged their website because of their own (or ISP) fault.

They really think you are some kind of magician when you can deliver within seconds the correct version (or any version of any file since you use the VCS of your choice). With proper commenting for each change you make these systems can save you a lot of work and time.

When you are swallowed by a big software house this kind of know-how will definitely be in your favor.

As suggested before, try the VisualSVN server (use it's default settings) and try to work with it through TortoiseSVN. You will get the hang of it soon enough and at that moment you will think how you could ever have done serious coding without.

Let those systems do the thinking about which version of which file should go where and how. Don't burn up (too many) of your braincycles on that  :P

Ok, preaching is over....please leave money in the collection boxes when you leave  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 01:29 PM »

;D

Which will be over in approximately 3 minutes if you do. ;D

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 06:50 AM »
Yeah, and once you do learn how to use SVN for code projects, web dev, etc. you might even start using it for regular files ; )
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Catherine Sea

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 04:49 AM »
You can also try SCM Anywhere Hosted:
http://www.scmsoftwa...ationmanagement.com/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 05:27 PM »
blog post comparing Git vs. Mercurial version control systems (from http://blog.excastle...-git-and-home-depot/ ):