topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Graphics corruption -- Why?  (Read 19959 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Graphics corruption -- Why?
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Often, after resuming from standby I get that kind of graphics corruption :

- for windows buttons

Screenshot - 2008-08-24 , 21_03_37.jpg

- in firefox, only in certain web pages

Screenshot - 2008-08-24 , 21_04_53.jpg

Refreshing the web page will not clear graphics problems.
As for the garbled windows buttons, I have to reapply my custom theme to get my windows buttons back.

Any ideas of why these graphics problems occur? It's been going on for a while and, unfortunately, I can't really remember when it started.  :-[

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Graphics corruption -- Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Possibly since your last graphics driver update?

What happens if you minimise the windows, refresh the Desktop, then restore the windows?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:58 PM by 4wd »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:57 PM »
My wild guesses:
1. graphic card's faulty drivers - reinstall them,
2. motherboard BIOS problem (same as here: http://forums.nvidia....php?showtopic=16837).

If it would be the case of few applications only I could also point out some system's (or specific application's) libraries resposible for images handling (I've seen similar behaviour with bad libpng.dll).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:05 PM »
My wild guesses:
1. graphic card's faulty drivers - reinstall them,
-fenixproductions (August 24, 2008, 08:57 PM)

As per fenix, this is the first thing I'd try with the added step of removing them completely using DriverCleaner - DC Pro 1.5 is the last free version.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:19 PM »
OK. Thanks for the advices guys. It seems pretty reasonable.
So I'll try reinstalling my drivers -- something I'm always a bit afraid to do... I often experienced severe problems when tinkering with video cards drivers.
DriverCleaner is trustworthy?

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:25 PM »
OK. Thanks for the advices guys. It seems pretty reasonable.
So I'll try reinstalling my drivers -- something I'm always a bit afraid to do... I often experienced severe problems when tinkering with video cards drivers.

Don't know how the free older version holds up today as I'm using the paid (frequently updated) one, but trustworthy? Absolutely, been using it for years :Thmbsup:
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:51 PM »

I still use the really old version 3.3 from 2004, never had a problem with it.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Many thanks! I'll take care of that tomorrow morning and will post back.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Sorry to revive this old old old thread.

The driver thing never solved the windows button graphic corruption mentioned above.

I eventually got around it by skipping Standby mode altogether and just use hibernation. This worked for a long while, and now... the problem also happens when using (coming back from) hibernation!!  >:(

One clue that could help me to solve the problem -- maybe --  is that when Windows buttons are corrupted, it's impossible for different backup apps to rely on the Volume Shadow (Copy) Service . Basically, when buttons are distorted, I know for sure that VSS won't work.

Maybe some window expert here would know how these 2 problems could be linked ? That might help me solve the problem (instead of rebooting each time I need to do a full backup or bring back my buttons...).

Thanks

PS : I did many searches with different terms and never found anything interesting in relation to the problem. Terms I tried were: Window(s) button(s) corruption garbled
in different combination, of course. If you guys have any suggestion for a web search, I'm all ear as English is not my main language.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Of course it would be best to solve the reason to the problem. But if no-one here at DC knows the right answer, and you still are using a custom theme, I will suggest you also try to use a default MS theme for a while, to see if the problem still shows up.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Hi Curt, Thanks.

I'm using Windows Classic theme... More default than that isn't possible. The extra buttons you see in my first post are from the FileBox extender and not from a custom theme.

However, yesterday, I tried display drivers I never tried before (I tended to stick to the Dell drivers to make sure I don't run into any instability issues) -- they're more or less meant for gamers and I don't play games -- and I went into standby several times without seeing any button issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Of course, it's still too early to tell.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Armando, I love Dell computers, but never run the drivers from their web site. They only post the drivers from the manufacturer's web site & more often than not they are woefully out of date. You don't gain any advantages from running the drivers on the Dell site because if you ever have to call Dell for technical support they'll just have you go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest drivers anyway.

Glad you got your problem solved, though. :: knock wood ::

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Maybe TODAY is the day for you to try one of these driver updating apps?
Bits du Jour is offering one at half the normal price, today only:
http://www.bitsdujou...ftware/driver-genius (from Avanquest)

Today Only: $16.47
You Save: 46%
List Price: $29.95

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30 PM »
eheh... Thanks Curt. I thought about it as I receive Bits du jour updates by e-mail. but I change drivers so rarely that... Not sure if I really need that extra tool.

It would be interesting to see if it would've advice me to install the tweaked drivers (omega, for ATI) I downloaded.

Armando, I love Dell computers, but never run the drivers from their web site. They only post the drivers from the manufacturer's web site & more often than not they are woefully out of date. You don't gain any advantages from running the drivers on the Dell site because if you ever have to call Dell for technical support they'll just have you go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest drivers anyway.

Glad you got your problem solved, though. :: knock wood ::

Well like I said : will only be sure the problem is solved in a week or so.

I've read that the problem with graphics drivers for laptops is that they're often adapted to a specific models from the generic ones... So one wouldn't really be able to successfully install the latest greatest generic ones. I actually think I tried it in the past and it didn't work. But maybe is my memory failing...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:24 PM »
I've read that the problem with graphics drivers for laptops is that they're often adapted to a specific models from the generic ones...

Oh! A laptop! If you mentioned somewhere before this in the thread that you were using a laptop I unfortunately missed it. Yeah, when you are using a laptop you are usually at the manufacturer's mercy unless you happen to have a graphics chipset that has an active modding community supporting it. Seeing as how you are able to use the Omega ATI drivers you shouldn't have any more problems. The Omega guys do a very good job keeping up with the latest driver releases & modding them for laptop use.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Thanks innuendo -- and yes... I forgot to mention it was a laptop before in this thread so there was no way you'd know.

So far so good. Still crossing my fingers... The Omega drivers seem to do a good job.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26 AM »
So... Report : Still experiencing graphics corruption + seemingly related VSS malfunctioning.
Will I have to change laptop or reinstall everything from scratch to finally be relieved ?!?
 >:(

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:25 AM »
So... Report : Still experiencing graphics corruption + seemingly related VSS malfunctioning.
Will I have to change laptop or reinstall everything from scratch to finally be relieved ?!?
 >:(

Sometimes graphics corruption happens due to a badly behaving program. Is there a program that's always open when the corruption happens?

Rarely it happens due to a driver for something non-graphics related on your system. Make sure all your drivers are up to date by visiting manufacturer web sites.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 11:10 AM »
Thanks Innuendo.
I don't know if I'll have the patience to do the kind of inquiry this sort of problem require...
 :(
I believe it's probably a driver anyway.
The reason why I think it's a driver is that for a couple months, about a year ago, I tried using an older laptop on  which I just cloned my windows partition. I then had various problems, but not the graphic corruption problem -- so : same software, different drivers.
All my drivers are up to date... According to Dell.
Will see if I can find some more spare time this week to try a few alternatives (maybe even older drivers). It's going to be a looonnng process...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 08:47 AM »
Armando, sorry if i had missed it but what are the specs of the laptop, brand of the video card and its driver version?

Kelly's Korner has a long list issues pertaining to standby mode. one of it might interest you - Resuming from Standby After Warm Undock Corrupts Video.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Thanks Lanux.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything there either...

Laptop : Dell 6400
Mainboard : Dell OXD720
RAM : 667 MHz, 3 GB (Kingston)
DualCore (CoreDuo) : Intel T2400, 1.8 GHz
HD : Scorpio blue 500 GB (WD)
Video Card : ATI x1400 (Discrete)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 05:39 PM »
That's the one bad thing about laptops...with a desktop if a video card ticks you off you can launch it off the roof of your house & buy a new one. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 09:11 PM »
when this graphics corruption happens, try to view the log in "Event Viewer". the entries there might give a clue as to what happens. e.g. when my gfx crashed, there was some entries like this.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for the help guys... Haven't got any corruption in the last few days, but will try looking at the Events in the event viewer (already looked and didn't see anything unusual apart from the usual unusualness... But will see...).

That's the one bad thing about laptops...with a desktop if a video card ticks you off you can launch it off the roof of your house & buy a new one. :)

yes, that's it...  :)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 11:48 AM »

yes, that's it...  :)

There's pretty much the same solution available with laptops - you throw the laptop off the roof of your house and buy a new one.

Been tempted to do that at times myself  :)