ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Graphics corruption -- Why?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Armando:
Hi Curt, Thanks.

I'm using Windows Classic theme... More default than that isn't possible. The extra buttons you see in my first post are from the FileBox extender and not from a custom theme.

However, yesterday, I tried display drivers I never tried before (I tended to stick to the Dell drivers to make sure I don't run into any instability issues) -- they're more or less meant for gamers and I don't play games -- and I went into standby several times without seeing any button issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Of course, it's still too early to tell.

Innuendo:
Armando, I love Dell computers, but never run the drivers from their web site. They only post the drivers from the manufacturer's web site & more often than not they are woefully out of date. You don't gain any advantages from running the drivers on the Dell site because if you ever have to call Dell for technical support they'll just have you go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest drivers anyway.

Glad you got your problem solved, though. :: knock wood ::

Curt:
Maybe TODAY is the day for you to try one of these driver updating apps?
Bits du Jour is offering one at half the normal price, today only:
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/driver-genius (from Avanquest)

Today Only: $16.47
You Save: 46%
List Price: $29.95

--- End quote ---

Armando:
eheh... Thanks Curt. I thought about it as I receive Bits du jour updates by e-mail. but I change drivers so rarely that... Not sure if I really need that extra tool.

It would be interesting to see if it would've advice me to install the tweaked drivers (omega, for ATI) I downloaded.

Armando, I love Dell computers, but never run the drivers from their web site. They only post the drivers from the manufacturer's web site & more often than not they are woefully out of date. You don't gain any advantages from running the drivers on the Dell site because if you ever have to call Dell for technical support they'll just have you go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest drivers anyway.

Glad you got your problem solved, though. :: knock wood ::
-Innuendo (October 21, 2009, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well like I said : will only be sure the problem is solved in a week or so.

I've read that the problem with graphics drivers for laptops is that they're often adapted to a specific models from the generic ones... So one wouldn't really be able to successfully install the latest greatest generic ones. I actually think I tried it in the past and it didn't work. But maybe is my memory failing...

Innuendo:
I've read that the problem with graphics drivers for laptops is that they're often adapted to a specific models from the generic ones...-Armando (October 21, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh! A laptop! If you mentioned somewhere before this in the thread that you were using a laptop I unfortunately missed it. Yeah, when you are using a laptop you are usually at the manufacturer's mercy unless you happen to have a graphics chipset that has an active modding community supporting it. Seeing as how you are able to use the Omega ATI drivers you shouldn't have any more problems. The Omega guys do a very good job keeping up with the latest driver releases & modding them for laptop use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version