topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Updated: GooglePlus - View Google search results in FARR as you type  (Read 119043 times)

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GooglePlus
This plugin allows you to choose from five different Google search types including Web, Local, Video, Images, and Books and will display search results in real time based on your search criteria. You can also choose to display extended information specific to each search type for each result.

gp1.jpg

gp2.jpg

gp3.jpg

gp4.jpg

Version 1.1 - March 20, 2009
  • Added Google News search
  • Added Google Blog search
  • Added ability to use custom icons for each website that will show up in search results as shown in the 2nd image above. See Tips below on how to add your own custom icons
  • Added a google search entry for each search type at the end of the search results
  • Added options to specify whether or not to launch search results within FARR for each search type
  • Fixed bug which would cause results not to show up
  • Cleaned up description of search results
  • Added some google search aliases for popular sites like amazon, imdb, wikipedia, metacritic, and donationcoder forums.

Usage
gp   - This will present you with the 7 different search types (Web, Local, Video, News, Images, Blogs, Books). Select one of the search types by typing in its name to filter the search or using the arrow keys to select and then press tab to activate that search. Tip: Typing "gp" followed by two spaces will recall the last search you executed since launching FARR.

gpw    - Alias for web search. The same as typing gp +web
gpl    - Alias for local search. The same as typing gp +local
gplw    - Google Local search alias for work. Edit the googleplus.alias file to change the zip code to your work zip code.
gplh    - Google Local search alias for home. Edit the googleplus.alias file to change the zip code to your home zip code.
gpv    - Alias for video search. The same as typing gp +video
gpn    - Alias for news search. The same as typing gp +news
gpi    - Alias for image search. The same as typing gp +images
gpg    - Alias for blog search. The same as typing gp +blog
gpb    - Alias for book search. The same as typing gp +book
gph    - Alias for GooglePlus search history. This will show you a list of all your previous searches since launching FARR.

Options
Show Description:  Selecting this option will display extended information in ( ) next to the name of each result specific to the search type you choose:
  • Web: Extended description of website
  • Video: The date the video was added, video duration, and an extended description
  • News: The publisher, date the article was added and an extended description
  • Local: The address and telephone # if provided for the search result
  • Images: The image's dimensions followed by an extended description
  • Blog: The date the post was added and an extended description
  • Book: The book's ISBN number followed by the books authors, year published, and page count.

Launch result in FARR: Select whether to launch the selected url in FARR's internal browser for each search type

Tips
- To add your own custom icon for a web site simply add the icon to the GooglePlus icons directory using the name of the website as the filename. For example you would name the file wikipedia.ico and donationcoder.ico for the sites www.wikipedia.org and www.donationcoder.com.
- You can also use Google search operators to alter the search results. Try adding site:donationcoder.com anywhere in your web search to limit results to donationcoder.com. Other useful operators include intitle and inurl. More operators can be found here. There are also many other search type specific operators that can be used.
- For the Local search try using the zipcode for the area you are searching in. Try something like "pizza 10021" for a list of pizza restaurants in the 10021 zip code or "atm 10021".
- For the Video search try using the duration:long operator to search for videos that are at least 20mins long.

Readme
http://sine.dcmembers.com/googleplus/

Download (extract to folder called GooglePlus in plugins dir)
http://sine.dcmember...eplus/GooglePlus.zip

Big thanks to ecaradec for creating the Javascript SDK and of course to Mouser who created this awesome piece of software!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:59 PM by s.newave »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow, cool! this is going to change the way i search in google. 8)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazing plugin! A few credits on their way ASAP!

I've got a request: I'd like to be able to launch the Google Images search in FARRs internal browser, while the regular Google searches in my default browser. The way I see it, it would be fine to have a modifier for a search (gp +images +internal), while still the same plugin configuration option. I suppose there should also be a +external modifier, if internal launch is the default.

Hope that made sense :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
all i can say is:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I see that i probably need to add something to farr that will tell you the FULL alias name of the aliases that are partially matched.  so that way when you type gp you would see for each of the entries the full thing to type for each of the partial matches.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
s.newave: this looks like a great plugin!
But I can't understand why, but everytime I type "gp", the options dialog comes up :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i just noticed that the past search history can be deleted, this is a cool feature! anyway s.newave, as with all plugins that interact with the web, is it possible to include a trigger key that will search after we have finished typing? this will be very helpful for those with slower connection speed. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
possible to include a trigger key that will search after we have finished typing?
an OPTION in the plugin to say only search when i hit enter would make sense for this and other plugins.

alternatively i could make it something in farr so that for a given plugin you can tell farr not to call it until you hit enter.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
an excellent plugin.  :Thmbsup:

google search fans may like this little thing i use - it allows you to keep your fingers on the keys whilst moving from farr to google's search results as it uses the beta google hotkey thingy.

a screengrab will help explain

capture012.jpg

so you open farr and type gh followed by your search term and then hit enter. you'll be able to then navigate the results in your browser using the google hotkeys:
J = next
L = previous
/ = search field
etc, etc.

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazing plugin! A few credits on their way ASAP!

Thanks!!

I've got a request: I'd like to be able to launch the Google Images search in FARRs internal browser, while the regular Google searches in my default browser. The way I see it, it would be fine to have a modifier for a search (gp +images +internal), while still the same plugin configuration option. I suppose there should also be a +external modifier, if internal launch is the default.

I thought about doing this but didnt know if anyone would use it :D. I will probably end up creating options where you can specify if you want to launch the result in FARR or not for each search type. This will avoid you having to type the modifiers every time. Will also add a search modifier as you suggested for one off situations.

s.newave: this looks like a great plugin!
But I can't understand why, but everytime I type "gp", the options dialog comes up :(

Are you talking about the GP settings dialog or FARR's? Not sure what could be causing this but i will look into it.

i just noticed that the past search history can be deleted, this is a cool feature! anyway s.newave, as with all plugins that interact with the web, is it possible to include a trigger key that will search after we have finished typing? this will be very helpful for those with slower connection speed. :)

Mouser also mentioned this during beta testing. Will look into adding something like this.

herojoker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think you can already do this with the "dosearch" command and additional aliases.

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think you can already do this with the "dosearch" command and additional aliases.
Not clear what you are referring to?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
herojoker: the results of the google search come up on farr itself, it doesn't launch the google search in the browser like the "search" alias.

s.newave: forget about my bug, must have been a strange mommentaneous configuration, I reinstalled the plugin and it's all good now.

herojoker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, ... I wrote non-sense :D
I meant: If the desired option is there one could avoid writing +external / +internal by creating a new alias using dosearch. (Ok, that's obvious...)
Forget it  :-[  :'(

BTW: Isn't Google blocking people who start too many searches in a short period of time?

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
s.newave: forget about my bug, must have been a strange mommentaneous configuration, I reinstalled the plugin and it's all good now.

Glad to hear its working

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very nice plugin!! Wow.

Is it possible to specify the maximum number of results (right now it's set to 8, if I'm not mistaken)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
Hi, I have debugging set on for JS and I get an error with
FARR.setState(querykey,1);
FARR.emitResult(querykey,aliasstr, aliasstr, iconfilename,ALIAS,IMMEDIATE_DISPLAY,300);
FARR.setState(querykey,0);

I think you miss the querykeys....

otherwise it works fine ;) thanks for that plugin :Thmbsup:
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Armando: Yes the max results you can get at one time is 8 currently however i will probably add an option to get more in a future release.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:46 PM by s.newave »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!  :)

omaedon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is an amazing plugin that has become my primary means of searching Google. I was wondering, could you extend the plugin to work with Google Scholar as well?

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is an amazing plugin that has become my primary means of searching Google. I was wondering, could you extend the plugin to work with Google Scholar as well?

I don't remember seeing anything about Google Scholar in the api when i was creating the script but i will have another look around.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:42 AM by s.newave »

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I made a folder in the Plugins directory, named it "GooglePlus", and extracted the files into it. Shut down FARR, and restarted it; FARR won't start, I get this message:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\FindAndRunRobot.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Help?

Thanks

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
s.newave: I would like to replace the books search w/ blogs search. Can you please tell me how?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I made a folder in the Plugins directory, named it "GooglePlus", and extracted the files into it. Shut down FARR, and restarted it; FARR won't start, I get this message:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\FindAndRunRobot.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Help?

Thanks

hmm, not sure what this could be. Did you install any other plugins at the same time? The plugin isn't in C++ and is pretty straight forward which leads me to believe it might be something bizarre going on with FARR??

Perhaps try reinstalling the plugin and rebooting.let me know if that works.

s.newave: I would like to replace the books search w/ blogs search. Can you please tell me how?

When creating the plugin I had google blogs in there but for some reason it never worked well at all. Searching was unusably slow and inconsistent from googles side. Will look into again when i get a chance. In the interim try the "site:<blogsite>" search operator which i have had really good results with.

Dimsy55

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Plugin: GooglePlus - View Google search results in FARR as you type
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 03:17 AM »
Pls help: I've got that error all the time

settings.exe
Error: Cant'load icon. The current thread will exit.
Specifically: icons\GooglePlus.ico
             Line#
--->       008: Menu, Tray, Icon, icons\GooglePlus.ico
 :-[