topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Launching New Game development website  (Read 12216 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Launching New Game development website
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Hi,
I’ve decided to launch new website for the game development. My intention behind this website is to help newbies, intermediate users & hobbyists with game development. This website will discuss various issues of game development like graphic libraries, scripting, engines, tools etc and more on game developement.

Currently I’m in search of Content Contributors a.k.a Writers as I can’t do this huge work all by myself.So jump in, and write some how-to article or code-snippet for the site and send it to me. If you’re interested in any one of the following category, please let me know.

•   Graphic libraries
•   Engines(2D/3D)
•   Scripting

Other than above mentioned categaries we have lot of other categaries like AI,Math,Physics,Sound,etc. So absolutely everything will be covered if we found content contributor in the category.

About site:
You can check the site with demo GML article: http://sparxengine.net

If you’re interested in writing article or want to contribute in anyway,please let me know. PM me or reply here. If you need more information about this project please drop reply here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Launching New Game development website
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Excited to hear about the project.
ps. the WordPress theme you've chosen is a bit hard on the eyes in my personal opinion.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Yeah,but thats not the final theme for this project currently working on another theme,just rolled down the demo classic theme in mean time

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:09 PM »
Frequently when I'm working on a game I have to figure out some math (trigonometry) to get things to move or appear correctly. I've been thinking for a few years now that I ought to have some sort of collection of all the equations I've needed time and again.

A quick math reference with examples of how to use them.

Then again, that was before I even took the corresponding math classes that taught how to do what I was attempting, so I was trying to figure things out that were beyond my mathematical education. It's not so hard now that I've taken a trig class and started into calculus.

Still, something like that might be useful on a game development/help site. I'd be happy to contribute things like that.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:08 PM »
I can't code with the GML (tried, failed), but I can do most of the basic to intermediate GM7 GUI-based things. Not too hard once you understand it. I might be able to help out with that part :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Thanks Wreckedarrz,Deozan,Mouser for support.

You can contribute to this project in anyway it seems fit .just post your ideas,so we can discuss more on how to document these game developement issues better.

In mean time-i'm looking for magazine style/lighweight wordpress theme(mostly imageless).anyone have any suggestion for wordpress theme?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:58 PM »
In mean time-i'm looking for magazine style/lighweight wordpress theme(mostly imageless).anyone have any suggestion for wordpress theme?

Try reading this thread for wordpress information:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14095.0

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:31 AM »
Hi all,

I have changed the Wordpress theme, just modified one theme to make it look easy to navigable & clean-look,i'm going to do lot of modiciation.What do you think of color scheme?Do i need to change anything?

Please let me know your views.Take a look at   http://sparxengine.net

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I made my first contribution! Whatever theme you're using doesn't separate images from text, so I had a heck of a time trying to get the post to look decent. Also, the dashboard keeps telling me to tell you that there is a new version of WordPress out. :) I'd also like to request a Math category for posts. Right now it's marked just as General, but a lot of game programming involves lots of math, so I think it's a fitting category.

If you want to see my article:

Percentages made easy!

I wrote this because just last night I was trying to scale some numbers down in my game and was having a hard time remembering the proper way to find the correct ratio. All sorts of questions were going through my head, such as: Which number goes on top of the division? Percentages are a decimal, which means that the larger number goes on bottom, right? Well what about if you have a really big object and want to find out what percent it is compared to the smaller one? Then I remembered the trick I learned in Beginner's Algebra and my problems were solved.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:56 PM by Deozaan »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 03:41 AM »
Deozaan
Thanks for the contribution, keep them coming. :Thmbsup:

Wordpress Update: You’re right. :D But my webhost refuses to update Wordpress instantly they usually take 1+ month to update Wordpress in fatastico ;).So I’ll need time of about 1 month till they update Wordpress.I think when Wordpress 2.7 will be out then they’ll update my Wordpress to 2.6 ,lol.  :P

Categaries added:
•Math
•AI
•Sound
•Physics

Math infact is important category to add in the list  :up:,I just forgot some tags/categary as I was busy tweaking the theme.

Thanks for reminding me about the theme,I’ll update the image column in css.Lets see if it works or not.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 04:30 AM »
Mobile Users can check this URL for Sparxengine:
http://sparxengine.mofuse.mobi/

(I havent added automatic device detection script,as i know most of the mobile users have better EDGE service ,so if anyone is with slow GPRS can check this out)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10 AM »
Anyone have experience with Garagegames Torque Gamebuilder or Torquescript, i'm looking for users who can contribute on that.

Anybody? Please Post here or PM me.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 02:04 PM »
I know Deozaan does work in Torque, not sure if he could help but I know that is what he makes his games in.

I haven't had time to work on any GM documentation, as school has started and stuff has gotten to be a hassle again. I'll see if I can't type up a quick first-run tutorial later today...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 02:46 PM »
OK, parents left to go look at furniture so I figured I would type up a little beginner tutorial. It isn't great but it should be simple enough to get someone with little/no experience up and excited. :Thmbsup:

(I used OpenOffice to type it up, so I don't know if it retained the images or not. Let me know if it didn't and I'll look into it)

-Brandon

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 04:00 PM »
I'm currently using GarageGames' TorqueGameBuilder to work on a game. In fact, it was this very game that led me to that Percentages article I made.

So yeah, I have some experience with TorqueScript.