topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request - right click on results Command prompt here option  (Read 8790 times)

Rochey

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser,

I got an idea of adding a right click on the search results (folders) and having a command prompt here option.
I have installed DOSHERE.inf on my local PC and it is really helpful. I have farr on my USB hard drive and use it on lots of other pcs and this is one feature that I miss on the other pcs. So I thought it would be handy if it was part of farr.

Thanks

Rochey

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
There have been a number of similar but different requests..
I think perhaps the best solution might be to allow users (and plugins) to customize the right-click actions for results.

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Right clicking on results feels a bit odd in FARR because is "the ultimate program for keyboard maniacs", you type what you want and FARR does it. Typing something and then using the mouse doesn't seem to quite fit in with FARR.  I can't see a problem with right click (if people want to use right click then why not) but I wouldn't want it to become the only way of doing things.

Whilst not a right click it is possible to set up an alias to achieve this sort of thing.  Give the alias the name "cmd" and a result of: cmd.exe /k cd /d "$$1"

Then you can type things such "+cmd c:\program files" or "c:\program files +cmd" and FARR will open the command prompt in the requested folder.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
If the keyboard on the right side has a context menu key then it will do a right click and show the menu. Mine does. :)

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you have dos here installed, you already get what you want if you right-click the folder in the results and then choose "Shell context menu" !

Have fun!
Jan Roelof

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request - right click on results Command prompt here option
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:16 AM »
FWIW, I'm testing a feature out in the Akete plugin [1] that augments a result folder or drive's context menu with an item which essentially packages up the command line posted by macs.

On a side note, I'm a fan of the Control-R key sequence for results items  :Thmbsup:

[1] In a version as-yet-unreleased at the time of this writing.