topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GTDTiddlyWikiPlus for FARR (alias pack)  (Read 53124 times)

msgray

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GTDTiddlyWikiPlus for FARR (alias pack)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 03:48 AM »
Hi all,

I discovered FARR today by following back a hit on my TiddlyWiki http://sidebarnotes.tiddlywiki.com that came from this Forum. I'm trying to understand the HTML view mode, alias etc.  It appears hard coded because I can't find a way to make my own alias as per the Help file maybe I'm missing something crucial to the understanding of this.

That notwithstanding, and although I know next to nothing about any of this, I have read these posts and can see certain misgivings about this HTML viewer growing like topsy into another Firefox or God forbid another IE. There may be a certain validity to these fears as all things seem to continue to grow and grow, possibly because the Universe is expanding for want of a better reason :-)

Needless to say I have already gotten caught up in this and would like to try something.  We have a little browser plugin at TiddlyWiki that may satisfy anyone's need for a browser without FARR growing at all, by just loading a TiddlyWiki into the HTML viewer. Except I don't know how to do it.

I've got another little squeezable TiddlyWiki that I use in my Firefox sidebar that I use for listening to the radio that's got this browser plugin in it that we could try if someone could explain how to do it; it's at:

http://sidebarradio.tiddlyspot.com/#[[ABCBrowser]]
http://tinyurl.com/5jkoty

Regards,

Morris
http://twhelp.tiddlyspot.com
A TiddlyWiki help file for beginners
http://sidebarpluginvault.tiddlyspot.com
World's largest squeezable TW plugin database

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 04:06 AM »
Welcome to the site Morris  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
Great to see you post here.

I created 2 aliases for FARR that use tiddlywiki and gtdwiki, which are installed by default into FARR.
You can access them by typing: tiwi OR gwp

If you go to the FARR options and the ALIASES tab, and select the gtd_tiddlywiki.alias file you will see this for the gwp result:

GTD Tiddly Wiki Plus| htmlviewurl file://%FARRDIR%MyLocalData/TiddlyWiki/gwp/gtd_tiddlywiki.htm /ICON=gtd_tiddlywiki.ico

that line is all that is needed to show the self-contained wiki htm file in html view mode.  the file is located in the %FARRDIR%MyLocalData/TiddlyWiki/gwp/ directory.

TIWI is:
Tiddly Wiki| htmlviewurl file://%FARRDIR%MyLocalData/TiddlyWiki/tiwi/MyTiddlyWiki.html /ICON=tiddlywiki.ico

If you want to add your own, what you should do is make a directory in
%FARRDIR%MyLocalData/

and put your wiki htm/html file and any other helper files in that directory.

and then make an alias to refer to it, just like the tiwi and gwp aliases.

an important note:
you need to select the myaliases.alias file to add your own aliases (you can move and manually edit stuff later); it's done like this to make updating safer.

one thing i noticed while getting the tiddlywiki and gtdwiki to work before was that i had to manually create some of the backup subdirs or it failed.

i can help getting your tiddlywiki to work if you get stuck following these instructions -- this htmlview mode is all brand new and the aliases aren't the easiest thing to master, so there's no shame in needing help getting it working!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:09 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 04:08 AM »
If you do get it working, you may want to "package" a standalone alias pack for your sidebar wiki so others can just download and install it, in much the same way that the gwp and tiwi aliases are packaged, with their own alias file and icon.  i can help with that when the time comes  :up:

msgray

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 10:57 AM »
I got sidebarradio.html running in HtmlView all right.  All the radio stations play and the browser works perfectly. It's quite enjoyable seeing colourful web pages open while listening to Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2 :-) I'm not sure what it's all good for but it works.... well you can continue listening to the radio while you work, until you use FARR again then it stops. Which is an undocumented feature since you shouldn't be listening to the radio while you are trying to concentrate on finding something :-)

For the record.....

1: I created a directory in "C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\MyLocalData\TiddlyWiki\sdbr\sidebarradio.html"
2: In myalias.alias I put "Sdbr Tiddly Wiki Plus| htmlviewurl file://%FARRDIR%MyLocalData/TiddlyWiki/sdbr/sidebarradio.html"

Doing a search in FARR for sdbr returns two results:

Sdbr Tiddly Wiki Plus
Alias sdbr
Score 1000
===and===
sdbr
TiddlyWiki\
Score 433

The first opens sidbarradio.html in HtmlView and runs perfectly.
The second opens Windows Explorer to C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\MyLocalData\TiddlyWiki\sdbr\sidebarradio.html

Doing a search in FARR for gwp returns two results:

GTD Tiddly Wiki Plus
Alias gwp
Score: 1000
===and===
gwp
TiddlyWiki\
Score 427

With the same result as above respectively.

However Doing a search in FARR for tiwi only returns one result:

tiwi
TiddlyWiki\
Score: 432

So nothing will open in HtmlView; only in Windows Explorer. I don't believe I disturbed anything.  Restarting everything doesn't help.

So there you are, the usual; a good result tempered by a fly in the ointment :-)

I would be interested to learn how to package this as you said so others might try it and maybe do a dedicated TiddlyWiki for some purpose yet to be imagined.

Regards,

Morris Gray

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 11:13 AM »
It sounds like the reason that its finding the extra results for each is that you might have the actual FARR directory in your FARR search path.  Which is an interesting thing i've not considered..

Probably the smart thing to do (and which I should do in the default installation), is add the FARR directory to your list of subfolders to EXCLUDE when searching the PROGRAMFILES directory.

In other words, if you have checked the checkbox to ask FARR to search %PROGRAMFILES% (which by the way i personally have unchecked), then double click on it and add the farr directory to those directories to exclude:
Screenshot - 7_6_2008 , 11_13_06 AM.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Now as for why tiwi is not showing any results.. that is odd, i'm not sure..
Maybe you could go to the alias tab and select the TiddlyWiki.alias file and look at the tiwi alias and see if its unchecked for any reason.

msgray

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 08:50 PM »
The %PROGRAMFILES% has never been checked; even so I still added FindAndRunRobot to the exclude subdirectories as shown in the screen shot to no avail.

I have since added three more TiddlyWikis to the system and they all return two results as well. I am new to this and I don't know what is normal. I assumed the two results I originally saw was normal.

After some investigation I've found that to prevent the extra results "BOTH" %FARRDIR%MyLocalData/ in Search Folder and C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\MyLocalData/\TiddlyWiki\xxxx\ in Launch History must "both" be unchecked, neither on their own prevents the duplication.

Another way of getting a single return(with both of the above checked again) is in Search Behavior change the "Stop search on regex alias match" that was ticked by default to:  to "exact alias match"

I have checked and double checked and have reached the point of diminishing returns on trying to find a way to get "tiwi" to come up properly like all the rest; short of reinstalling FARR.  Do you have a plugin that will overlay core aliases? I don't know how much of this is my unfamiliarity but I think something is amiss in "tiwi". But as Scarlet O'Hara said; "I'll think about that tomorrow" and it will be corrected in due course.

However I've got everything else working satisfactorily and would like to learn how to package some of this to share.

Regards,

Morris Gray

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 09:05 PM »
good for you for discovering the launch history thing. you might want to just delete all the entries on that list (right click and say delete all in the launch history).  that's just a list of previously launched things by you and as you figured out, the fact that you launched it once means its being matched from now on.

as for tiwi alias..
anyone else having this trouble? does tiwi alias not work for anyone else?

as for packaging, basically what you would do is:
  • Make a standalone alias file with your new sidebarradio alias definition in it (the alias files are plain text files in xml format so you could just open your myaliases.alias and copy the alias into a new file called sbr.alias).
  • Find a nice icon for your alias somewhere and refer to it in your alias like the others do (this is not required but is nice).
  • Package those two files along with your sidebar.html in a zip file for people.
  • These wiki packs are actually a bit trickier than sharing normal alias packs because the html file has to go into the MyLocalData directory, so the easiest thing might be a zip file with structure like:
SbrPack\Readme.txt
SbrPack\AliasGroups\Installed\Sbr\sbr.alias
SbrPack\AliasGroups\Installed\Sbr\sbr.icon
SbrPack\MyLocalData\Sbr\sidebar.html
(but change the directories to match where you refer to the sidebar.html
the readme would tell people to put the the folders in the matching folders in FARR.

I'm afraid right now there is nothing automated about it, but most people will be able to follow the instructions.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:11 PM by mouser »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 09:51 PM »
mouser I setup hotkey for gwp. It shows up fine but everytime i press the shortcut for gwp I need to press enter to bring gtp tiddlywiki in html viewer as well. is there a way to invoke-run gwp automatically?

Restartsearch or search with "/n" does not do the trick for me for some reason
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:54 PM by kartal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 09:58 PM »
Restartsearch or search with "/n" does not do the trick for me for some reason
yes i will add.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Is dosearch broken at the moment?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 11:03 PM »
is it? if so let's talk about it in another thread.

msgray

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 02:43 AM »
I'm afraid right now there is nothing automated about it, but most people will be able to follow the instructions.

Well I think I have put together a package for a browser to use with Farr.  I hope I will be forgiven for being so banal but since I am giving it "to" Farr; I couldn't resist naming it "A Browser to Farr"  I can't imagine how many times you've heard that one :-)

I've handled the directory like this <FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\Installed\TWHelp\Browser\farrbrowser.alias> because I have a couple of other TiddlyWiki reference things I might add to this TWHelp directory.

Anyhow I've zipped it all up. It may or may not be clear about the directories but I've tried my best to explain in ReadMe.  Now I need someone to try it out.  Do you have a place I can upload the zip file or how do you handle things like this?

Morris Gray

Thanks, I didn't notice you could attach files.  For the time being I'll just send Browser.zip as an attachment so someone else can check to see if what I've done actually works.

Regards,
Morris
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:27 AM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 02:57 AM »
Do you have a place I can upload the zip file or how do you handle things like this?
short-term:
edit your post (or if you writing new post you may have to click "Preview" to get option to add attachments)

below the text-box you'll see "attach" & "browse" buttons

(mouser may have other suggestions)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 03:17 AM »
we can also provide web space at USERNAME.dcmembers.com if you want web/ftp space.

msgray

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 05:10 AM »
I'm not sure whether the attachment went I've haven't seen any post yet. I did it as a modify.  I think I'll just do a new attachment.

Morris Gray

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 06:24 AM »
Just installed... *very* cool.

cedardoc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I've searched for others with this problem but couldn't find note of it.  Is anyone getting this error too?

GTDTWinFARRerror.jpg

(the screenshot didn't appear in the preview, but hopefully it'll work when I post)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I am getting the same error above. I just wanted to use the latest version of tiddlywiki. SO I just pasted over the one under Farr folder.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 01:39 PM »
kartal does the one that comes in the pack work and not give the error?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Yeah that one did not give me any error

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 02:10 PM »
ok so maybe i made a small modification to it or something, i'll compare old and new versions (or someone can) to see what the difference is.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Maybe someone can add this one:
http://www.giffmex.org/tiddlydu2.html