topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nero Vision replacement  (Read 14343 times)

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nero Vision replacement
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:59 AM »

In the past year or so my nephew has become increasingly interested in how computers work and what you can do with them.  He has been fairly involved in the game mod community for the games he plays.  Last year he bought a DVD burner and now wants to burn some videos from the computer to disc, so he can play them on his portable DVD player. My assumption is that these are in games videos he has captured, or something similar, although I will ask specifically when I see him next.

I suggested he try out the Free Nero disc that came with the burner and he did, but got a message saying he'd have to buy Nero Vision to do whatever it was he tried to do.

I have no idea what Nero Vision is - I assume some sort of DVD authoring tool, but I encourage someone to correct me.

He doesn't have an income yet and so isn't likely to be able to buy what I consider to be a potentially over priced piece of boxware.  I told him I'd do some research on what alternatives were out there, and so here I am.

I guess my questions are:

1. WTF is Nero Vision? In order to find a replacement it would be nice to know what it actually is classed as.
2. Are there any decent OSS alternatives, or freeware, or at least decently priced packages that do the job without adding the kitchen sink? (see other messages about Nero, here at the DC Forums)
3. Ease o use will be big heretoo, as old Uncle Daleus will be the support person ;)
4. What other information do I need to gather for you folks to answer these questions properly?
5. What learning resources would you recommend the two of us read to learn more about what we're doing here?

Thanks in advance for helping me be one kids' hero ;)
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nero Vision replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:07 AM »
Nero Vision is a video transcoder. Basically, it takes in video files from either MPEG or AVI format (maybe others) and converts them to a DVD IFO structure.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Maybe it would be a good idea to give him a premium membership to Gizmo's ?  ;)

Some say ImgBurn, others CDBurnerXP, but *IIRC* the latter doesn't handle videos. Maybe DVD Flick is okay? I assume it is, because it comes from the sourceforge community, but I don't know. But go and check http://www.techsuppo...burning-software.htm when you have become a premium member... sorry, but I am logged in', so all I can give you right now is the main link: www.techsupportalert.com/

Edit 1:
- I should specify that I don't burn videos, so I don't *know* anything about this subject.

Edit 2:
Google "burn video to dvd", first answer:
Hack Attack: Burn almost any video file to a playable DVD
-lifehacker

- and the third answer:
DVD burning in XP
-Microsoft at work (from year 2002)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:07 PM by Curt »

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Suggest you visit the <a href="http://www.videohelp...ctions/authoring-dvd">tools page on videohelp.com:</a>

an excellent reviews page on a site which is well populated by knowledgeable video processing geeks
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • ::41554D::
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I use DVDFlick all the time to burn video files to DVDs and I've had really good luck with it. :Thmbsup:
'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Visit the sites: http://www.doom9.net and http://www.afterdawn.com

Both sites will supply you with all the information you will ever need about software to convert/burn video files. HowTo's, hints and tips, forums and downloads, you will find it there.  :)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:17 AM »
Go to http://giveawayoftheday.com. Nearly every other day the offering is a video conversion/authoring program (though not today) - to the extent that many comments are complaints about 'Oh not again ....). Within the comments there is usually an experienced review giving some advantages/disadvantages of the package being offered and alternatives. There are always mentions of free alternatives. And you can always go through previous offerings if you just want to read the comments.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:11 AM »
App-Zilla is a esteemed name who are offering [name deleted] ripp-offs

- sorry, close spelling made me confuse two different companies.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:11 PM by Curt »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:56 AM »

Some say ImgBurn, others CDBurnerXP, but *IIRC* the latter doesn't handle videos.

Personally I like CDBurnerXP for what it does (though I don't do movies myself).  IIRC, it does handle videos as of version 4 (the current version).  It is a very new feature though, so may not be mature enough for easy use.

I am at work now or else I would tell you with certainty.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 04:35 AM »
I don't think any of these burners replace Nero Vision as Nero Vision allows you to capture and encode video as well as burn.

In my experience most of the free programmes don't give brilliant results. I never had much success with Nero Vision either (though I haven't used it recently) and always got poorly synced audio and video.

If he simply wants something to copy DVDs (home made or commercial) DVDFab does the job (and burns the discs) very well with literally two or three clicks. The Platinum version also has a plugin called 'mobile options' (extra cost) to allow you to produce output suitable for portable players such as the iPod and loads of other makes.

If he wants to create his own DVDs from TV programmes (from TV or downloaded from website) then he will need something that will recode the source video into a suitable MPEG format and then convert those MPEG files into a burnable DVD format. There are loads of apps that will do the job - the best  and simplest I have found at a reasonable price is TMPGEnc DVDAuthor which allows most video file formats to be automatically converted to DVD compliant formats and then the whole lot can be burned to a compliant DVD video. This app will also produce DivX format DVDs as well as conventional DVDs.

If his portable player will play DivX DVDs (check the manual) then he could use the version supplied on the DixX.com website which is a cut down version of the full app to produce just DivX DVDs and it is much cheaper. I haven't used this myself but from the screen shots it looks like it is the same app as the TMPGEnc product just tailored to DivX only format.

Neither app is free but the results are consistently good for both and are very simple to use.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:41 AM by Carol Haynes »

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:48 AM »
I'd recommend checking out ConvertXtoDVD. While not free, it does the job and does it well. Converts any format you can throw at it to DVD, creates menus and burns the result. It's also very easy to use, so it should be able to replace Nero Vision without problems.

Personally I don't do much converting that way (I mostly rips the DVD's to MPEG-4 AVC, not the other way around) but those times I've had to do so it has served me well.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 11:21 AM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks very much for the excellent suggestions. I have no access frm home or I would have replied sooner.

I have had the worst luck burning DVD with CDBurnerXP, although it does a great job of CDs.

Ironically, I saw someone else refer to the doom9 site at another forum, so that will be a stop, along with the other sites reommended.

As usual, great job folks - you're better than Google!

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large