ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nero Vision replacement

<< < (2/3) > >>

Shades:
Visit the sites: http://www.doom9.net and http://www.afterdawn.com

Both sites will supply you with all the information you will ever need about software to convert/burn video files. HowTo's, hints and tips, forums and downloads, you will find it there.  :)

Dormouse:
Go to http://giveawayoftheday.com. Nearly every other day the offering is a video conversion/authoring program (though not today) - to the extent that many comments are complaints about 'Oh not again ....). Within the comments there is usually an experienced review giving some advantages/disadvantages of the package being offered and alternatives. There are always mentions of free alternatives. And you can always go through previous offerings if you just want to read the comments.

Curt:
App-Zilla is a esteemed name who are offering [name deleted] ripp-offs

- sorry, close spelling made me confuse two different companies.

steeladept:

Some say ImgBurn, others CDBurnerXP, but *IIRC* the latter doesn't handle videos.
-Curt (May 30, 2008, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Personally I like CDBurnerXP for what it does (though I don't do movies myself).  IIRC, it does handle videos as of version 4 (the current version).  It is a very new feature though, so may not be mature enough for easy use.

I am at work now or else I would tell you with certainty.

Carol Haynes:
I don't think any of these burners replace Nero Vision as Nero Vision allows you to capture and encode video as well as burn.

In my experience most of the free programmes don't give brilliant results. I never had much success with Nero Vision either (though I haven't used it recently) and always got poorly synced audio and video.

If he simply wants something to copy DVDs (home made or commercial) DVDFab does the job (and burns the discs) very well with literally two or three clicks. The Platinum version also has a plugin called 'mobile options' (extra cost) to allow you to produce output suitable for portable players such as the iPod and loads of other makes.

If he wants to create his own DVDs from TV programmes (from TV or downloaded from website) then he will need something that will recode the source video into a suitable MPEG format and then convert those MPEG files into a burnable DVD format. There are loads of apps that will do the job - the best  and simplest I have found at a reasonable price is TMPGEnc DVDAuthor which allows most video file formats to be automatically converted to DVD compliant formats and then the whole lot can be burned to a compliant DVD video. This app will also produce DivX format DVDs as well as conventional DVDs.

If his portable player will play DivX DVDs (check the manual) then he could use the version supplied on the DixX.com website which is a cut down version of the full app to produce just DivX DVDs and it is much cheaper. I haven't used this myself but from the screen shots it looks like it is the same app as the TMPGEnc product just tailored to DivX only format.

Neither app is free but the results are consistently good for both and are very simple to use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version