topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Digital Camera Help  (Read 8562 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Digital Camera Help
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:39 AM »
To the community,

My wife recently informed me that she wants to get a new digital camera for the sole purpose of taking pictures of small objects with a good amount of zoom. Well, I know a bit about normal digital cameras, but I am looking for one with a better lens and that has a good zoom. I also need a camera which doesnt produce pictures with large amounts of grain or distortion/noise. This is a problem I have found with many digital cameras when you get into the larger megapixel range.

Now, I know I am being gulliable in this request (right word?), but is it possible to find a camera like this for around the 200-300 dollar price range?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Josh

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Digital Camera Help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 02:59 AM »
I'm not going to be very much help except maybe what to watch out for/avoid

Often a problem with cheaper cameras is with the flash - it often takes up to 10 seconds to recharge - another aspect to consider/check
You'd also want something with Image stabilisation (IS)

I usually go here Imaging-resource/Dave's Picks if researching a camera.
Straight away I see

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3
8.0 megapixels, 10.00x zoom
   $264.87
Check Prices!
Packed with features, the Sony H3 has a fast shutter, a long zoom, and turns out great 13x19-inch prints... (more)
in the allround section

There's a long zoom section there too
And they do great reviews :up:
Tom

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:40 AM »
You can actually buy external lenses for many models of cameras.  Perhaps that will extend your existing camera for much cheaper?

oldfart

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 07:42 AM »
If your wife wishes to take pictures of small objects you need to make sure the camera you purchase has a Macro capability.  Macro lenses are generally higher quality lenses than non-macro.  Also, with small objects you really need more than the on-board flash.  At least that has been my experience.
dmg

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 08:40 AM »
There are quite a lot of compact cameras which do very well with close up photography - for example my little pocket camera (the f47d, just seen on special at £99 in the UK) can (when in macro mode) focus much closer than my SLR with the lenses I have. eg: http://iphigenie.72p...-11_12-53-08_02a.jpg (click on image to see larger size)

Although a zoom will not help with small objects, since it will increase the distance at which you can focus - so you can zoom but you are further away to start with. Macro works usually at fairly low zoom levels and very short distances.

I heard great things about the canon G series as a camera which is a middle point between the easy point-and-shoot and a serious camera - pricewise too

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:01 AM »
After looking around, this is the one I am looking at for my wife.

http://www.olympusam...uct.asp?product=1367

Any thoughts?

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I have had 2 olympus digital cameras and both were excellent. The first one was an entry level snapper which lasted almost 10 years and took some great images - the second one was a super-zoom which would have been a precursor of the model you link to - and again I loved it. It got stolen and I am regularly trying to snap a similar one on ebay, since I need a camera for my lazier half so he can take pictures too :)

This one does look very good. It seems very similar in features as the canon g series I mentioned (support for flash, raw etc) but you probably get a better price/value ration with Olympus. So its a great step up into serious photography without having to shell out for an SLR.

Macro mode: Wide: 3.9” – infinity (0.1m – infinity), Tele: 47.2” – infinity (1.2m – infinity)
Super Macro mode: 0.4" – infinity (1cm – infinity)

nice!

I am trying to find one of the previous 500 or 700 series on ebay as people who own these cameras often upgrade to a SLR - I'm cheap so i usually get outbid but i will keep trying
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:44 PM by iphigenie »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:47 PM »
My only advice is to stay away from Kodak!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55 PM »
iph: What does the Macro do for me? I am looking into it online and wanting to learn more. Also, what exactly is SLR, I know the net definition, but in reality what is it?

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:36 AM »
I recently bought a SP-560UZ and am happy with it. I haven't had time to explore many of its possibilities yet, but so far so good in basically point and shoot mode.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 03:53 AM »
what exactly is SLR, I know the net definition, but in reality what is it?
As you will know, it is meant to be a camera with a mechanism that allows the photog to see the image through the lens and thereby see exactly the photo that will be taken. Not quite so true any more as manufacturers look to find ways of getting the image to the LCD and the viewfinder.

In practice, SLRs tend to be very configurable and have a wide availability of lenses. Most keen SLR photogs will have spent far more on their lenses than their cameras and it is their lens collection that is their greatest incentive to keep them with one brand. All digital SLRs have very easy to use automatic modes and many users just use these, and many users only have one lens (unfortunately, quality-wise, this is usually the kit lens that came with the camera) so the distinction between SLRs and other cameras is not that clear.

SLRs tend to be bigger than most cameras (and can never really be described as compact) and to be at the upper end of the quality range within a brand. They are almost much more flexible in the ways they can be used with very good quality output - some non-compacts produce very good quality output, but only in good light conditions or particular circumstances.

SLRs also tend to be fast.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 04:09 AM »
iph: What does the Macro do for me?

Sorry for not being iph.

Macro lenses are designed purely for closeups and have no zoom (though some zooms do have a macro mode). Usually 1:1 magnification, though can be greater. Depth of field (how much of the subject is in focus) and lighting can be an issue. Compact cameras generally have a good depth of field. The really big issue with closeup photography is keeping the camera steady - most people who do a lot of ebay photos have a stand/tripod set up fairly permanently & light reflectors etc to get optimum lighting. Not so easy to arrange if you are after moving subjects like insects.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 10:56 AM »
Luminous Landscape recently gave a good review to the Ricoh GX100, though it might be more than you want to pay.  The site focusses on landscape rather than macro, but it's a good place to look.