topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XPPro SP3  (Read 79884 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XPPro SP3
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:17 PM »
I don't see any mention of SP3 for XPPro. I got it earlier today through Windows update. Am I the only one???

:huh:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XPPro SP3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:34 PM »
you're not the only one. ;) here's some related threads..

Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??
Windows XP SP3 due for release .... (don't hold your breath)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36 PM »
WinXP SP3 has not been released yet.  Its only in RC releases.  Are you sure you got it from Windows Update.  MS won't push an OS SP to Windows update until some period of time after an RTM release.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Properties sheet.......

Version 2002

Service Pack 3.V.3311

----------

On the 20th I received a file..........Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate 2.exe

Executing the file was supposed to add me to the Windows update list. I executed the file and this afternoon I got the notification in the tray that an update was available and I agreed to install.
The above is the result.
It appears you are correct about it being an RC.......... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I can post the above exe file if anyone wants to give it a go?  :-\

-------

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Hmmmm, where did you receive that EXE file from? It doesn't look like a naming scheme Microsoft would choose.
- carpe noctem

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I got the file from MS.......

http://www.microsoft...7&displaylang=en

I Googled the file name and it seems to be readily available?

---------------- :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:22 PM »
it seems that MS did push the RC version of SP3 but there is some registry modification involved.

Microsoft releases Windows XP SP3 RC2.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:57 AM »
I got the file from MS.......

http://www.microsoft...7&displaylang=en

I Googled the file name and it seems to be readily available?

OK, just didn't sound like the typical filenames MS uses, so I was afraid you might have gotten some nasty malware - nice to hear that isn't the case! :Thmbsup:

So... it's still only an opt-in release candidate? Not that it matters that much to me, I'm on 64bit XP and that follows a completely different service-pack cycle because it's really a win2k3 kernel, not XP kernel.
- carpe noctem

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:21 AM »
This RC thingee is still bugging me. I've been through that machine and looked everywhere I can think of............. no indication that update was an RC version.
If a strange user sat down at that machine you'd see SP3 with a build number. Is the build number supposed to be proof positive that it's an RC or would you be lead to believe that SP3 has been installed? I'm getting too old for this!

------------

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:31 AM »

lovemy633

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06 AM »
maybe  ms 's mistake. SP3 isn't excited :(

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:14 AM »
This RC thingee is still bugging me. I've been through that machine and looked everywhere I can think of............. no indication that update was an RC version.
If a strange user sat down at that machine you'd see SP3 with a build number. Is the build number supposed to be proof positive that it's an RC or would you be lead to believe that SP3 has been installed? I'm getting too old for this!

------------

You could not possibly just have gotten the Service Pack from Windows Update without knowing what you installed, seeing as the only way to get it is to either run the executable file from Microsoft manually that allows access to it from Windows Update, or by manually changing your registry to do the same thing. Nobody "just got it from WU" without having specifically requested it. Because of this, I'm having a really hard time understanding what the problem here is...?

That said, I've been using the SP3 RC for a few weeks now and I haven't had any problems with it.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:11 AM »

You could not possibly just have gotten the Service Pack from Windows Update without knowing what you installed, seeing as the only way to get it is to either run the executable file from Microsoft manually that allows access to it from Windows Update, or by manually changing your registry to do the same thing. Nobody "just got it from WU" without having specifically requested it. Because of this, I'm having a really hard time understanding what the problem here is...?

That said, I've been using the SP3 RC for a few weeks now and I haven't had any problems with it.

Where would I look to determine if I have that update installed?
I would think that if SP3 RC is installed on a machine there would be an indication of it posted somewhere where one could determine that fact?
I cannot find any proof that SP3 RC has been installed on my machine.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 11:52 AM »

Where would I look to determine if I have that update installed?
I would think that if SP3 RC is installed on a machine there would be an indication of it posted somewhere where one could determine that fact?
I cannot find any proof that SP3 RC has been installed on my machine.

If you look at any of the places where it shows the Windows version installed you will see what version is installed. For instance, where's a screenshot from start->run->winver:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4702/winverwy7.png
XPPro SP3

If yours say v.3300 or v.3311, it is the second release candidate (RC2).

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Ahh, so you need a key to the code? As I posted previously, I have SP3 v.3311 and that's the code for RC2. How will I know when I get RC3?
I was expecting a notation in the properties sheet that SP3, RC2, v.3311, or something similar, had been installed. Not being privy to the coding system used I had hoped that SP3 was installed and I was done with it. Too much to hope for I guess!

:(

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Ahh, so you need a key to the code? As I posted previously, I have SP3 v.3311 and that's the code for RC2. How will I know when I get RC3?
I was expecting a notation in the properties sheet that SP3, RC2, v.3311, or something similar, had been installed. Not being privy to the coding system used I had hoped that SP3 was installed and I was done with it. Too much to hope for I guess!

:(

That I can understand, but the thing is that the service pack did not show up on Windows Update by itself. You had to actively seek it out and when doing so, it would have been a good idea to read what the website you (should) have gotten it from said. I mean, the download page on Microsoft's site repeatedly refers to it as "Windows XP SP3 RC2." Even the file you downloaded has "Release Candidate 2" in the filename (the standalone installers does not, but even so the page is still plastered with information on what it is you are about to download) ;)

In any case, I don't think there will be any more release candidates of SP3. Should there be one however you would know that you got it because just like in the past, you would have to actively seek it out.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the information however we're still skirting my question.
I knew what I signed up for, I knew what I was doing when I ran the enabling script, and knew what I consented to download and install.
What I don't know is what IS installed??
My properties sheet says, as does yours, that SP3, v.3311, was installed. Not being psychic I have no way of knowing that when decoded that means SP3, RC2. It seems to me to be a simple matter to report that SP3, RC2, build 3311, was installed when that in fact is what was done. Problem solved.
Someone in a forum reporting that I couldn't have SP3 because it hasn't been released yet is not information I can enter in a properties sheet. Maybe MS made a mistake was another comment. Entirely possible!
Just the facts ma'am, that's all I expect from MS. Plain and simple facts would answer all my questions.

:)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Just the facts ma'am, that's all I expect from MS.

I see. A visitor from a parallel universe.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 02:34 PM »
My properties sheet says, as does yours, that SP3, v.3311, was installed. Not being psychic I have no way of knowing that when decoded that means SP3, RC2. It seems to me to be a simple matter to report that SP3, RC2, build 3311, was installed when that in fact is what was done. Problem solved.

For Betas, I would agree, and for betas Microsoft sometimes (unfortunately, not always) does make the fact that installed software is a beta readily obvious.  But for Release Candidates, the idea is that if no drop-dead problems are found the RC magically transforms into the 'Golden' release with no changes.  I have no idea how often this ideal situation occurs in reality, but that's the way it's supposed to work (in theory).

This certainly is no longer the case for actual Windows releases (RCs are really Betas with another name - http://technet.micro...gazine/cc194403.aspx).  The term Microsoft uses for what used to be true Release Candidates in full OS releases is "Escrow Build".

But it should be made easy to take a build number and determine what that build number corresponds to.  None of the first page hits on Google for "service pack 3 v.3311" are on Microsoft sites and a similar search in the search box on microsoft.com results in only forum postings - nothing official.  So it's difficult to know just by looking at the version info that what's installed is a release candidate (that may or may not become the release at some point).

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 04:31 PM »
mwb1100 - here you go, sp3 download on the microsoft site, googled win xp sp3 and the first link took me here

http://www.microsoft...0&displaylang=en

Brief Description
Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 04:57 PM »
mwb1100 - here you go, sp3 download on the microsoft site, googled win xp sp3 and the first link took me here

I think you misunderstand - I wasn't looking for SP3.  What I was saying is that Microsoft should have a way to easily identify a particular build number for an installed version of SP3  - v.3311 in this instance - (or whatever, for that matter) as being a Beta, Release Candidate, or official release, even though it may not make sense to to have a Release Candidate identify themselves as such since an RC should be able to turn into an official release with zero changes.

By the way - that link is for a white paper about SP3, it's not the SP3 download itself, which as far as I can tell is still at RC2 stage.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:02 PM by mwb1100 »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 11:48 PM »
Here we go again!

http://forums.micros...SiteID=17&mode=1

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh - Now Available On Windows Update

:huh:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 07:03 PM »
We must remember to also pay attention to the build numbers; this one is 5508.

... The application to enable download of XP SP3 RC2 Refresh is the same application as was used to distribute XP SP3 RC2. This is an application that can be found at the Microsoft Download Center. Running this application on a machine with Windows XP Service Pack 2 will enable Windows Update to offer XP SP3 RC2 Refresh to that machine. Build to build upgrades are not supported for this beta release, so if you have installed XP SP3 RC1 or XP SP3 RC2, please uninstall it before running this application. We strongly recommend that only this application be used to obtain RC2 Refresh and that evaluation and feedback be based solely on releases provided directly by Microsoft. ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:06 PM by Curt »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Can someone tell me why SP3 is stuck in no man's land? Is Microsoft trying to run out the clock on this OS or what?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Can someone tell me why SP3 is stuck in no man's land? Is Microsoft trying to run out the clock on this OS or what?

They left it to the IE developer group to oversee its distribution?