topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Enso launcher/words is a must for everyone!  (Read 6140 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Enso launcher/words is a must for everyone!
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:24 PM »
So recently I decided that I needed a launcher for my computer, because I install WAY to much crap on my computer, and then I can't remember where I put it, and I don't want to clutter my desktop with icons. What do I do? I use Launchy 2.0. That was ok for awhile, but then launchy decided that I didn't really want to run anything else on my computer, so it started to use 90% of my cpu and over 100,000 K ram NON STOP! That wouldn't do for me, so I did some googleing for an alternative to launchy, and ran across Enso. Combined with Enso words, Enso launcher is a very good universal launcher/spell checker/dictionary.
All I have to do is hold down the caps lock (who uses that key anyways?), and then type in a command, such as open vl (which by the time I type vl it has already found the location of vlc media player, and is wondering if I wanted to open that.)

I don't really need to put a screen shot of it, because I can describe it just as good.

when you hold down the caps lock key a green box pops up at the top left of the screen, and inside that box it says "Welcome to Enso! Enter a command, or type "help" for assistance."
As soon as you start typing something, it instantly starts going through its list of commands in search of what you are wanting to do.

But I might as well put up a screen shot, so:
enso.jpg
(that isn't my desktop, that is a screen shot from the website)
click here for the website
[Insert really cool signature here]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:26 PM by nite_monkey »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Enso launcher/words is a must for everyone!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:38 PM »
It has been mentioned in the forums a few times. One of the more recent postings mentions that it is now free.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I figured it most likely had been mentioned before, but I decided to post it here, because I wanted to compare it to launchy, which hasn't been done on here that I know of.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:45 PM »
I figured it most likely had been mentioned before, but I decided to post it here, because I wanted to compare it to launchy, which hasn't been done on here that I know of.

"Enso launcher/words is a must for everyone!" sounds like a reccomendation to me. How does Enso compare to Launchy then?

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:56 PM »
I dumped Launchy to FARR.

After this post, I am going to give Enso a try.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20 PM »

"Enso launcher/words is a must for everyone!" sounds like a reccomendation to me. How does Enso compare to Launchy then?
it launches programs like launchy, and it has a built in calculator like launchy. Excuse me for using the wrong terms in public.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22 PM »
You know, I'm kind of sorry I posted this topic, can someone just remove it for me?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:27 PM »
No reason to remove it, but i could merge it in with another Enso thread like this one:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=11865.0

As the author of Find and Run Robot (FARR) I think it's healthy to discuss all alternatives.  The only thing i do want to point out is that we've recently seen some amazing FARR plugins written by members here on the forum, so one nice thing about using FARR and being a DC member is that there is a very good chance if you have a feature request you'll see it come to life :)