topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Textmaker (Softmaker/Ashampoo Office) 2008  (Read 82116 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Textmaker (Softmaker/Ashampoo Office) 2008
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Curt  :Thmbsup: Downloading it now...

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49 PM »
This really is a great office suite!

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Just a little note...
Softmaker 2006 went free:
http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

SoftMaker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2008, 10:40 AM »
In preparation for Halloween, we have just posted some Halloween document templates for TextMaker 2006, TextMaker 2008, and SoftMaker Presentations 2008 here:

http://www.softmaker...ish/halloween_en.htm

This is a free download.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 05:34 AM »
There's a special upgrade price of $12.99 for "owners of older versions of TextMaker, PlanMaker, SoftMaker Office, or Ashampoo Office"
for upgrade to Softmaker Office 2008

If you have any of these products registered check for recent email from Softmaker  [Make the switch: SoftMaker Office 2008 now even more affordable]
Tom

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 12:59 PM »
There's a special upgrade price of $12.99...

The email I got said €12.99 or $14.99.  USD price is good for "United States and Canada only", but I'm not sure how well that is enforced.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 01:25 PM »
I wonder if something like UltraSurf would help if the "US and Canada" only thing is enforced by checking your IP address... ?! Of course, my experience is that the stumbling block is usually more simply billing address fields that are fillable only by selecting a state or a province from a pulldown menu... Example: I'm in Canada and I cannot buy a copy of Microsoft Research's AutoCollage because there is no Canadian MS store. B$!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Just got an email from Ashampoo with a coupon for Ashampoo Office 2008 for $7.99:  DCT-MTN-LW6

I have no idea when the coupon might expire.

My understanding is that Ashampoo Office 2008 is the same as Softmaker Office 2008 with the exception that Ashampoo's offering doesn't support scripting which Softmaker's does (someone correct me please if I'm wrong).

Just remember to uncheck the various add-on costs for support and download 'protection' (unless you really want them).

http://www.ashampoo.com

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 01:49 AM »
New deal for Ashampoo Office 2008.

Click this link for a $4.99 price (not sure when it will expire):

http://r.ashampoo.com/r.php?id=24212&ri=tad8&lk=8e6icaPL

As always with Ashampoo, make sure you uncheck the unnecessary download protection and other junk add-ons.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:39 AM by mwb1100 »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Wow! Great find, mwb1100  :Thmbsup: I have a licence already and recommend this deal to anyone looking for a lightweight, comprehensive and powerful Office suite. I'm curious to see what's in the next version... I wonder if the long promised DB application will appear?

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2009, 08:41 AM »
I, too, recommend this. In fact, I just recently bought a Linux license of it for my netbook. IMHO, it's a *much* better product than OpenOffice, even factoring in that OO is free.

On the other hand, after looking at their description of the upcoming DB application, I'm not impressed with that. It looks like a clone of Access. That is ... OK. But Access has evolved into a monster, with all kinds of oddities as the product grew over time, and tried to remain compatible. I wish they'd started from a clean slate. (Or maybe I'm reading too much into their screen shots)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2009, 12:19 PM »
On the other hand, after looking at their description of the upcoming DB application, I'm not impressed with that. It looks like a clone of Access. That is ... OK. But Access has evolved into a monster, with all kinds of oddities as the product grew over time, and tried to remain compatible. I wish they'd started from a clean slate. (Or maybe I'm reading too much into their screen shots)

Heh, heh, I gave up following progress about 18 months ago as nothing seems to be being done with it... However, I *thought* that one of their goals WAS to start with a clean slate?

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Softmaker Office 2008 vs OO3.1:
http://www.infoworld...ficeorg-445?page=0,0

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2009, 03:54 PM »
I had a lot of problems with bigger texts intense using tabulators. OpenOffice destroyed the original word-files (3.1 also). Softmaker Office was absolutely compatible and I had no problems with it till now. It has some things I don´t like in using it, but its more important to get along with M$ Office.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 06:12 AM »
this is still valid today (the 'for free' one) - I just tried it.

For those interested in Softmaker office 2008, there is a killer Ashampoo deal (same as Softmaker):

http://r.ashampoo.co...ings/1/090410_en.htm   for $4.99

Or for free if you're quick.

maybe they're bringing out a new version soon
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 02:06 PM »
... I'm waiting impatiently for DataMaker to be released ...

I remember reading about DataMaker some years ago, but it seems SoftMaker has given up on writing it. Maybe BasicMaker has substituted? SoftMaker will of course say NO! because they are still "developing" DataMaker:

SoftMaker is currently working on these applications:

DataMaker for Windows
DataMaker is the ideal end-user database: Open any database and create queries, forms, reports, labels, even small applications with ease. Just use it, no need to write code.
Please note: DataMaker is not shipping yet. The non-public alpha test is already running; the public beta test will start later.

We are blessed to know that it will be a fantastic program - I mean, several years in development?! Meanwhile, I now have this BasicMaker. Perhaps, one day in the future I may even find a job for it.

BasicMaker 2010 automates SoftMaker Office: it lets you write BASIC macros that complete recurring tasks in TextMaker and PlanMaker.

BasicMaker is compatible with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). It allows you to write small scripts or programs that execute commands in TextMaker and PlanMaker. If you have repetitive tasks in SoftMaker Office that you wish to automate, BasicMaker is the tool for you.

Syntaxwise, BasicMaker is modeled after Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and its OLE Automation object model is a subset of Microsoft Office's. If you already have experience in macro writing with Microsoft Office, you'll be up to speed with SoftMaker Office macros in no time at all.

Care for a small sample?

Print "Name of current document:"
Print tm.ActiveDocument.FullName

If this looks familiar to you, you are on your way to becoming a proficient macro developer for SoftMaker Office.

On the other hand, if this looks a bit baffling, that's not a problem either: A detailed electronic manual will introduce you to macro programming with BasicMaker.

Note: If you wish to create scripts for SoftMaker Office in other languages than BASIC, you can! TextMaker and PlanMaker can be scripted from nearly all programming languages, such as Python, Perl, Ruby, C++, and Delphi.

I am pleased with Office 2010, but if you don't need to have the newest I would say Office 2008 may be a better deal; it is for certain worth every penny...:

Download SoftMaker Office 2008 for free, and SoftMaker donates money!

Talk about donationware...

Softmaker Office 2008 is available for free, with the added bonus of the Softmaker company donating 10 Euro cents for each completed download! Great office suite and great deal!

http://www.loadandhelp.de/home-en.html

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:08 PM by Curt »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I am pleased with Office 2010, but if you don't need to have the newest I would say Office 2008 may be a better deal; it is for certain worth every penny...:

Curt, please, what advantages does 2010 have over 2008 for you?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 03:15 PM »

I was curious too - site only says
The Top Five new features in SoftMaker Office 2010:

Support for the DOCX and XLSX file formats from Microsoft Office 2007   

Comes with 3 licenses for home and business use

Presentation-quality charts in PlanMaker

Breathtaking DirectX-based animations and slide transitions in SoftMaker Presentations   

Document tabs for easy switching between open documents
Tom

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 04:00 PM »
for me tabs and docx support are major additions. There are also several small things that improves the product. I'll upgrade when they've got the educational pricing for 2010 going.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 07:59 PM »
I was curious too -

- none, yet, for the very simple reason that I am trial-testing Microsoft Office 2010 at the moment. I only upgraded SoftMaker  to have it! I have only tried TextMaker.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2009, 04:26 AM »
I was curious too -

- none, yet, for the very simple reason that I am trial-testing Microsoft Office 2010 at the moment. I only upgraded SoftMaker  to have it! I have only tried TextMaker.

which has to lead to the question:-
are you trialling MS Office because somethings missing in Softmaker Office ?
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2009, 06:34 AM »
I was curious too -

- none, yet, for the very simple reason that I am trial-testing Microsoft Office 2010 at the moment. I only upgraded SoftMaker  to have it! I have only tried TextMaker.

which has to lead to the question:-
are you trialling MS Office because somethings missing in Softmaker Office ?

- no, I am trialling because I could! I have MS Office 2003 Standard, but cannot afford "at the moment" to upgrade to version 2010, so the beta trial of Ultimate 2010 was a fine chance to see what I am missing...plus, the beta stage may make the trial period a little longer than normal.

What I like the best about SoftMaker 2010 is the speed and smoothness. In SoftMaker I can have my document all done before MS is ready to even begin! I am not really in a position to talk about specific features.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:36 AM by Curt »

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2009, 08:43 AM »
@CWuestefeld: Now you can also download all 3 different Linux-Installers of Softmaker Office 2008  :Thmbsup:
Don´t forget to download all Manuals (not included in the installer) and their monthly Free Fonts from the linked sites!
Perhaps you want to try Softmaker Office 2010beta free? It´s worth it.
You can update from this free 2008 version to the full 2010 like a normal customer - that´s much cheaper than the regular price.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:19 PM by Crush »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Now you can also download all 3 different Linux-Installers of Softmaker Office 2008  :Thmbsup:
I own the 2008 version of the app in all three flavors: Windows, Linux, and PocketPC.

The Linux version was the easiest install of any 3rd party app I've encountered. It took me 2 minutes, compared to, say, XBMC, which took me at least an hour.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Now you can also download all 3 different Linux-Installers of Softmaker Office 2008  :Thmbsup:
I own the 2008 version of the app in all three flavors: Windows, Linux, and PocketPC.
I own the Windows and Linux version. As you may know, owners of 2008 for linux will get 2010 (for linux obviously) for free!  :up: