topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Wanted: Calendar/to-do manager with special repeat patterns (for students)  (Read 34151 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[off topic] Hummmm... thanks Darwin. So maybe I've never experienced the problem because I'm using Outlook a lot, so it gets minimized, maximized, trayed, etc. quite a bit during the day. Still, I've never seen use it more RAM than firefox  ;D... And, by what you say, it also seems that this RAM is easily gained back (unlike firefox for instance). [/off topic]

Just an update: while this works well for Outlook 2003, it isn't *quite* as effective with Outlook 2007. I find 2007 RAMPS up RAM and if I minimize it to the tray will drop to about 3000KB but then rapidly balloon to about 22000KB and stay there... In many other ways it works better, though, in my opinion. E.g. actions that I perform on messages are done much more quickly. Also, the tight integration with Windows Desktop Search is nice (though, of course, you have to install WDS... but you can configure it to do nothing by keep your PST indexed and NOT to run in the tray so not the end of the world  :)).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the update Darwin.

if I minimize it to the tray will drop to about 3000KB but then rapidly balloon to about 22000KB and stay there...

IMO, if one uses Outlook extensively, 22000Kb is really no big deal (depending on the amount of available RAM , of course!  I understand that RAM is not always cheap everywhere in the world... or even as accessible).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Agreed, Armando. I'm not stressing about it, but thought that I'd update people about the change. I was stressing about Outlook and RAM when I had 512MB of the stuff. Now I'm running 2GB and it really isn't a big deal...

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wrt the original topic, I'm sorry for not giving any feedback anymore, but I did not have an time whatsoever for this issue over the last few weeks.

Special thanks to tamasd for the pointer to flash card progras like pauker and jmemorize, I'll have to check those out.   I'm not after the content of the curriclum, only the schedule, but maybe one could use the flash card apps. But it's a nice idea for a workaround.
OTOH, I don't think Rainlendar supports irregular repeat patterns like the ones I mentioned.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i had been in need such as program some time ago for assigning tasks to team members and a DC member, ethan had kindly programmed such a program. maybe it can be useful to you?

Staff rotation tool

Staff rotation tool

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PaladinMJ, as far as I can tell, the big problem is
The request... to find a calendar (IMO, a task manager that somehow collaborates with a calendar would be better) that can repeat a task/event after one day, one week and one month, one time each.
All calendars I know of only allow a repeat pattern of either daily or weekly or monthly, not a mix of those patterns.

Can Rainlendar do this?

definately.. infact that is why i use it in the first place i have alot of regularly scheduled programs i mean tasks and events that repeat just like what i think he wants
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I completely forgot about Ethan's program.. it really needs a web page!

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2Darwin
Isn't that a proof for Rainlendar?

rein.PNGWanted: Calendar/to-do manager with special repeat patterns (for students)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:36 AM by fenixproductions »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2Darwin
 (see attachment in previous post)
-fenixproductions (August 22, 2008, 07:33 AM)

Certainly looks like it'll repeat that task everyday. PaladinMJ , did you ever give Rainlendar a triy? BTW I've never used it myself...Thanks for following up on this, fenixproductions  :Thmbsup:

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2Darwin
Well "any day" is an option but it offers few units (day / week / month / year) which can be set according your needs. There is nothing wrong to write down 9 days instead 1w+2d. You can even put your exceptions. AFAIK my brothers use that for their school plans and this is working just great.

Privately I am using Rainlendar as my shopping list: buy coffe every 6 days except Sundays ;)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2Darwin
 (see attachment in previous post)
-fenixproductions (August 22, 2008, 07:33 AM)

Certainly looks like it'll repeat that task everyday. PaladinMJ , did you ever give Rainlendar a try? BTW I've never used it myself...Thanks for following up on this, fenixproductions  :Thmbsup:

I use it every day, and have it synced with my google cals and my tungsten e2
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool, so it does what you were originally asking after? Is Rainlendar the solution that you chose?