topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software to visually track network connection/map.  (Read 11728 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Software to visually track network connection/map.
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:54 PM »
I remember seeing this on bits du jour sometime ago, but don't remember what it was called, or even how to describe it.  It was a cool visual way to track how network information on your computer gets processed.  For example, if you start a program, that exe will call a dll, which will access the internet through some protocol.  So, the program will draw a visual picture and you can trace the line going from the program through the various files and protocols until it reaches the internet.  It was cool, it lets you identify where the problems are happening and where the bottlenecks are and stuff.

If anyone can remember this, or software like it, please let me know.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software to visually track network connection/map.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:10 PM »
was it VisualRoute?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:37 PM »
that sounds familiar!  I think that's it.

Maybe I understood the program incorrectly.  This program seems to tell you how the network information once outside your computer (ISP, server, etc.).  Is there a similar thing to track what is happening inside your computer before it goes to the outside world?  Like, how can you tell if a program you're using isn't dialing home occasionally?  Questions like that.  I just bought calendarscope, for example, and it seems to me that it tries to access it's web server even though there's no real need for it to use the internet at all.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:53 PM »
if you're concerned about the program dialling home, why not block it temporarily via the firewall or disable the internet connection and see if any features are affected. btw, what type of connection are you using?

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:18 PM »
was it VisualRoute?

Oooh, VisualRoute is coooool...

vizzy.jpg

I was so entranced I downloaded the free "lite" edition.  That's even cooler. 

Caveat: when running Lite for the firsttime, it notifies you that updates are available and offers to download a newer version for you.  Surprise!  The "new version" downloaded is really the 15-day trial version.  Ha ha, got you, sucker!  Luckily the 15-day limited edition installs alongside the Lite version, so it's easy to uninstall without corrupting Lite.  But still... a teeny bit deceptive, methinks.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Caveat: when running Lite for the firsttime, it notifies you that updates are available and offers to download a newer version for you.  Surprise!  The "new version" downloaded is really the 15-day trial version.  Ha ha, got you, sucker!  Luckily the 15-day limited edition installs alongside the Lite version, so it's easy to uninstall without corrupting Lite.  But still... a teeny bit deceptive, methinks.

yes, that's very sneaky..

Magic Speller

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:59 PM »
For anyone who's interested....

Bits du Jour has the software again (today only, of course) for $19.98: 60% off at http://www.bitsdujou...te-personal-edition/

I have been using MySpeed PC Advanced from Visualware for some time, and have found it to be invaluable. The two products integrate nicely, so I'm looking forward to upgrading my Lite version.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Visual Route isn't perfect. On one check, it had my route crssing from NY to LA and then back east to Green Bay. The end point server is actually in LA, so I don't know what is going on with Visual Route here.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 07:58 PM »
3d Traceroute is an alternative. Available as free and pro version. Pro, normally sells for 23,95 EURO, now costs 19,95 US  Dollar (Offer ends 2008-03-29).

2008-03-25_085744.jpg

and a screenshot of the Pro version:

2008-03-25_090307.jpg
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:04 PM by PhilB66 »