ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to visually track network connection/map.

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
I remember seeing this on bits du jour sometime ago, but don't remember what it was called, or even how to describe it.  It was a cool visual way to track how network information on your computer gets processed.  For example, if you start a program, that exe will call a dll, which will access the internet through some protocol.  So, the program will draw a visual picture and you can trace the line going from the program through the various files and protocols until it reaches the internet.  It was cool, it lets you identify where the problems are happening and where the bottlenecks are and stuff.

If anyone can remember this, or software like it, please let me know.

lanux128:
was it VisualRoute?

superboyac:
that sounds familiar!  I think that's it.

Maybe I understood the program incorrectly.  This program seems to tell you how the network information once outside your computer (ISP, server, etc.).  Is there a similar thing to track what is happening inside your computer before it goes to the outside world?  Like, how can you tell if a program you're using isn't dialing home occasionally?  Questions like that.  I just bought calendarscope, for example, and it seems to me that it tries to access it's web server even though there's no real need for it to use the internet at all.

lanux128:
if you're concerned about the program dialling home, why not block it temporarily via the firewall or disable the internet connection and see if any features are affected. btw, what type of connection are you using?

Ralf Maximus:
was it VisualRoute?
-lanux128 (December 12, 2007, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oooh, VisualRoute is coooool...

I was so entranced I downloaded the free "lite" edition.  That's even cooler. 

Caveat: when running Lite for the firsttime, it notifies you that updates are available and offers to download a newer version for you.  Surprise!  The "new version" downloaded is really the 15-day trial version.  Ha ha, got you, sucker!  Luckily the 15-day limited edition installs alongside the Lite version, so it's easy to uninstall without corrupting Lite.  But still... a teeny bit deceptive, methinks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version