topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: a Profile-able Workdesk Desktop  (Read 22048 times)

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: a Profile-able Workdesk Desktop
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Worktop: ~ recently "Desktop Profile". an Overlay Desktop acting as a Profile-able "Work Desk" in a separate assignable folder

from my late post:
https://www.donation...?topic=10493.new#new

suggest a title if you hate the name i provided  ;D (click to open attachments to explain further details)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:30 AM by psionics »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: a Profile-able Workdesk Desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:24 PM »
How about this:
You make the following folder structure:
desktop
-DesktopProfile
-- mom
---mom's files here
-- work
---work's files here
-- home
---home's files here
Then, DesktopProfile reads the desktop folder and gives you a gui with 3 selections: mom,work and home. You select one, and the contents of that folder are moved to the desktop and you get the following folder structure:

desktop
-DesktopProfile
-mom's files here
-- mom
-- work
---work's files here
-- home
---home's files here

Then, when you select another one, the contents of the desktop are moved into 'mom' again, and the contents of the other folder are moved to the desktop.

What do you think about this?

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:45 PM »
I see what you mean.. every profiled desktop has the contents of the real desktop, every desktop contents is carried to another desktop when the profile is selected?  :-\ like hiding contents by its profile? then getting organized folders? I think its too much complicated while all i need is a floating explorer w/o its window(desktop functions replica).

my idea is an "empty" and "independent" desktops (besides recycle bin) for them to "decide" what to put in their desk (just like a table, theres a gaming table desk, working table desk, reading table desk ~ etc) each of these Desktop folders correspond to "assignable" area (like Photoshops is Drive G:\PIX, Office is Drive F:\, your USB ~ Etc) while the real desktop is unaffected(coz of the MS bug when refreshing, check the link in my first post here)

Only the real desktop has apps shortcuts, while the rest of the profiled desktop are empty, every desktop has different contents. as this would be their real "storage" is located. Actually, shortcuts will be decided and be copied by the users, an application shortcut that match a desktop profile.(e.g. Office Desktop has only Excel and MS Word Shortcuts with some folders and files you are currently working with, Other desktop is just for organizing downloads)

tapping the upper corner of your screen will show the other desktop (just like "Expose") but much simpler (as performance-wise) for just selecting screen

The main point is.. desktop is the area where you can easily drop/drag items, organize files & reminds you of your work desk. its much bigger than windows explorer. and is always available when hitting "win+d" specially when your working with some multi-tasking project. Your desktop is the "home" or root of your files inventory. It would be much easier when the desktops are profiled, ~ separated to other groups or organized by profile so it wouldn't look so messed up and is very manageable.

This idea is much manageable for a single user PC with so much things you are working on, rather using another windows profile login to organize or profile the work desk when your the only one whose using it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 04:16 PM by psionics »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:37 PM »
I think its too much complicated while all i need is a floating explorer w/o its window(desktop functions replica).
Complicated?
Actually, i still haven't quite understood what your idea is, but it doesn't quite seem like a coding snack kind of idea, it's way too developed, while my idea would be implementable as a coding snack, i think... Maybe someone who understands your idea better could chime in and provide with some kind of solution...

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:49 PM »
I think what psionics is looking for is Virtual Desktops.

A virtual desktop may also refer to setting up separate desktops for different groups of applications and being able to switch back and forth with a hotkey. For example, an architect might have one desktop for CAD and related design programs and another for spreadsheets, word processing and business applications. Grouping applications in this manner keeps the desktop from having an excessive amount of open programs on screen or on the Taskbar at one time.

Microsoft has one that is part of Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP which can be found here;
http://www.microsoft...oys/xppowertoys.mspx

A quick google found this opensource project VirtuaWin - The Virtual Desktop Manager
http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:17 AM »
You're right, wetsmellydog!
I think i was misunderstanding.

Here are a few relevant links:
https://www.donation...arch=virtual+desktop
dexpot, my favourite virtual desktop manager

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 05:40 AM »
re~jgpaiva:
actually, your idea is great and has give a good function to desktop profile, I'm sorry that I'd say its "complicated" because of the "moving of contents" you said and I say "w/o moving contents"

* Dexpod is a Windows Manager (virtual desktop), the other links provided  "symbolic link" to a file like in linux.

i you read my old post:

and this one that we attempt to develop it:
https://www.donation...57.msg85201#msg85201

we encountered problem in refreshing the desktop, i think a windowless explorer (overlaying the real desktop) may help:
http://www.viksoe.dk...code/windowless1.htm

re~wetsmellydog:
I know a virtual desktop and i have searched alot about it, it looks like a virtual desktop but its not using a switching taskbar or open window's desktop switch. only the desktop.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:17 AM by psionics »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:01 AM »
I'm not sure why psionics started a new thread for this

have a look at the one linked to in first post

Worktop[/b]: ~ recently "Desktop Profile". an Overlay Desktop acting as a Profile-able "Work Desk" in a separate assignable folder

from my late post:

EDIT: sorry missed your last post there psionics
Tom
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:03 AM by tomos »

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 06:21 AM »
because, this is the proper area to post it (Post New Requests Here). I'm new to the forum and I'm quite having a hard time focusing in development.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 08:12 AM »
because, this is the proper area to post it (Post New Requests Here)

gotcha :)  point taken -
I wasnt complaining, just wasnt sure
unfortunately it means people are covering same ground twice at times
either having to read twice or *not* reading twice and posting stuff that's already been covered

but you can remind them  :D
Tom

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 11:03 AM »
yeah  ;D

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I somehow found the function I am looking for(Desktop in a separate folder - function), this is it... but this one is too much from what I want. and the Icon arrangement is somehow buggy that gets cluttered every time I change desktop.. Also, the virtual desktop function cannot be deactivate(open windows) and lastly, its not FREE..  :(

ManageDesk
http://www.managebytes.com/

I have tried it.. looks great, and memory friendly, but it is much better if they didn't put the virtual desktop function(taskbar window's manager)

* found a lite version and is freeware (but only the virtual desktop is available, thats the one i hate):
http://www.brotherso...l_desktop_27431.html

this one, i never tried yet..
http://www.octatec.c.../vdesk_document.html - not tried

I still hoping for someone to code it.. pls...  :(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:35 AM by psionics »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 06:48 PM »
psionics please test dexpot. It's free, and from what i understand, it has an option to do what you're asking for. Check under "settings -> switching desktops -> desktop elements -> custumize icons".

To have all the windows in all the desktops, make a rule that will force all windows to be "sticky".

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 04:59 AM »
I already did tried Dexpot. It has all what I want, the "Desktop Overview", It also has the ability to customized which Icons are presented on each desktop, But the assignable "Desktop Folder"(as in Files/Folders) wasn't there only the hiding of desktop icons/files/folders to a selected desktop~ which i really need most(assignable/switching). actually, managebyte's ~ ManageDesk 2.46.11 did it already, but the virtual desktop(taskbar of window's management) function ~ that is to be eliminated. their recent version also recovered from the bug when refreshing the desktop after the switching. my post here is a "hope" for the coders to code it. Dexpot is really great as im using it for the while(thanks dude n_n). i had followed your instruction to eliminate the virtual desktop function.

only the desktop folder switching and assigning is what i am looking/hoping.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:35 AM by psionics »

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 01:58 AM »
More on this topic in this other thread - https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10757.0

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 04:25 PM »
I'm starting to warm up to this idea, as distinct from a virtual desktop tool.
A virtual desktop tool (like virtuawin, which i like), is nice for running multiple programs on different virtual desktops, etc.

As I see this request, it's more of an occasional switching between modes of working.  So when you switch you want different icons, wallpaper, etc.  It's not about running multiple programs on dif desktops, just about setting up different desktop environments suited for different modes of working.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 09:08 AM »
As I see this request, it's more of an occasional switching between modes of working.  So when you switch you want different icons, wallpaper, etc.  It's not about running multiple programs on dif desktops, just about setting up different desktop environments suited for different modes of working.

go go go :D

seriously though,
I think it's a great idea for those of us who dont want to go to the virtual desktops extreme (okay it's not that extreme but if you dont want/need all that capability..)
Tom

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 03:23 PM »
I'm starting to warm up to this idea, as distinct from a virtual desktop tool.
A virtual desktop tool (like virtuawin, which i like), is nice for running multiple programs on different virtual desktops, etc.

that is very true sir mouser. The idea behind it is that desktop is a very accessible area for multi-tasking work. if the desktop environment can change modes, it would be easier to work with files/folders and apps shortcuts by its modes.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 10:36 AM »
after another years, this might have solved the problem

DesktopHomes:
http://www.autohotke...locations-and-icons/

:up:

after 2 years  :( help.. even Ave's extra desktop doesn't work anymore

ok. I found a very similar software I really need:

http://chihiro718.jp...rg/ENG/software.html

* its saves the current icon layout of each desktop folder you assigned  :Thmbsup:
* the vista version - is the only one with desktop folder switcher  :(

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:55 AM by psionics »