topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Paint Shop Pro X2 - installation from hell ...  (Read 33289 times)

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Paint Shop Pro X2 - installation from hell ...
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:43 PM »
here's a summary of upgrading from PSP X to PSP X2..
1. install X2 trial to see if I like it... at end of install, x2 launches and I play with it awhile (liking it)
2. Hour later, try launching it again... language error. Try several times, same error.
3. Re-install, new problem - not admin (incorrect!) Try several times, same error.
4. Re-install. New error - trial has expired  (this is same day as 1st download!!!)
5. Re install, same error. Send various requests for support corel support site (replies are no help)
6. Delete using special uninstaller from corel site, re-install, same error.
7. Scratch head... make BAD decision - if I buy x2, can't possibly give trial expired error.
8. delete trial, purchase x2 and use their download link to get (I thought) a non-trial version.
9. Install new version, use supplied key, launch it - expired!!!!!!!!
10. Think .. maybe the X version is causing this. Delete X2, delete version X
11. re-install x2 - expired.
12. delete x2, reinstall X, reinstall X2. Expired.
13. Delete both again, run reseeker looking for all paint shop pro references in registry. There are a LOT! Deep breath.. delete all the buggers!
14. Re-install X and X2. Same old expired trial message.
15. Get new message from corel support - we can't help via support site, you need to phone corel.
16. Use corel's link to find where to phone, phone corel.
17. get told over the phone that they (who-ever was on the end of the phone) can't help, I need to EMAIL corel for help.
18. email corel, anticipating a reply email that says I need to phone for support.

Is it time to ask for a refund? Since I'm going to asia for xmas vacation, I'm sorely tempted to not get a refund, but to buy a pirated X2 copy to resolve this monumental waste of time.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paint Shop Pro X2 - installation from hell ...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Why buy a pirated copy in asia? You already bought the full product, which isn't working. Normally I don't advocate this kind of stuff, but since you're legally an owner of the product and they can't seem to get it to work for you, why not just find a crack for it online somewhere?

Don't buy a pirated version. You already paid for the real version. Find a working version online, since you paid for it already. I think you're entitled to have your software working.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:05 PM »
never thought of that...course I should have. Probably though it's an idea born of frustration and annoyance and I shouldn't do it.

Maybe I'd be handling it better if it wasn't for the fact that I organized for the school to purchase a DOWNLOAD (electronic) version of geometer sketch pad from an australian company a week ago. When the download link for that one didnt arrive and I questioned them, I was told it had been ordered from the USA which would take 7-10 days to arrive. MY DOWNLOAD version is being mailed from the USA????????????

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:41 PM »
Corel has one of those super uninstallers, which I have downloaded (couldn't tell you where to find it) and archived. I can send it to you if you like. FWIW, I had PSP 9, X and X1 installed on my system and X2 installed no problem and has been a real joy after the disappointments of X and X1.

Let me know about that Corel "zapper" - PM me if you want me to send it to you.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:46 PM »
Scatch that - here's a link to instructions on how to uninstall, including a link to the download.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:51 PM by Darwin »

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10 PM »
thanks Darwin... I like the encouragement that if I can get it to work, it'll be worth it. (as well as the time you spent getting the link for me)
 I've already got corel's super duper zapper and used it MANY times by now.
Funny tho how after using it, I still find plenty of obsolete refs to psp x2 in the registry.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Bummed. That's too bad. Were you using the new Corel_MSI_Cleanup_Utility.exe as opposed to the old zapps.exe file? Just a thought... Anyway, I do hope you can get some satisfaction after all this.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:16 AM »
PSP8 is the last good version for me - iirc it's already with v9 that you have to reinstall after windows install, instead of just running the psp.exe and setting filetype associations. PSP X is wank.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:21 AM »
I bought in at PSP 9. Like it a lot. The upgrade to 10 was a foolish waste of money on my part and I WON a copy of X1, which was marginally better than 10. X2 is quite a bit better than either, though not without some bugs that need to be addressed in the first patch. It's certainly speedier than either X or X1, about the same as 9.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Not saying you are dense or anything :-[ but if v. 10 and X1 were bad why get X2 ??? OK it might be better but after two bad versions (even if one was a free prize) I think I'd give up - Oh I did at version 8.

My biggest irritation with Corel is that they release new versions of software for not much reason that I can see - often things get worse version by version and many times you have to learn a completely new interface with each version. Their release of updates and bug fixes are also few and far between and often seem to introduce more new bugs than they fix (and often don't install nicely either).

A classic example of Corel stupidity was a known bug in Painter where saving files in its own native format corrupted the file!! It went on for 3 versions (including all the bug fixes) before they finally sorted it out. Add to that Painter updates demanded you uninstall Painter, reinstall it and then run the updater before running the application - which is just nuts!

Don't even get me started with Corel Linux - which was a joke!

Now they seem to be getting into the Symantec style acquisition game (InterVideo, Metacreations, KPT etc) few of which are actively developed, if at all, but they keep shipping the boxes (even when there are large numbers of bugs).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:31 AM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:48 AM »
A tax on stupidy? No, actually I ran the trial for a while and it worked well so I upgraded (with the Canadian dollar so strong it was very cheap). The worst thing about all of the Xx releases is the anti-piracy crap that they install (though there are workarounds for it...). I probably *shouldn't* have parted with any cash for X2 but I am not sorry that I did (yet - talk to me after the first patch is released).

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I'm a long-time PSP user, and currently at XI version. Can you tell me what's in X2 to make it worth upgrading?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 11:01 AM »
For me it's the startup and operational speed. Also seems more stable and less resource hungry. However, if you are happy with X1 (ie your system specs are such that you aren't noticeably inconvenienced by the resource problems) you're probably not going to gain much by upgrading.

Here's a list of the new features (I have the graphite theme turned off).

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 11:09 AM »
For me it's the startup and operational speed.

Hmmm. While the operational speed is fine on my system, the startup speed seems interminable.

The HDR merge thing looks cool. Unfortunately, my current camera doesn't do bracketing shots, so I can't really use it. :(

Are the "makeover" tools worthwhile?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 03:20 PM »
I don't know what to say about the makeover tools - I don't really use them so fired up PSP X2 and opened up a piccie of myself and applied them all. It was pretty quick and dirty but the results were good - I managed to "thinify" myself (always a good thing), whiten my teeth and give myself a suntan...

Before:

IMG_1187-small.JPGPaint Shop Pro X2 - installation from hell ...

After:

mike and tom with tan-small.jpgPaint Shop Pro X2 - installation from hell ...

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 03:57 PM »
19. support sends an email telling me to ignore their advice to phone corel. Too late.
20. get email from new source inside corel..sounds like a mexican name - did I ring support in mexico by mistake - asking me a new question about what's happening

Darwin... yep, I'm regularly using the new zapper - cleanup tool.

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 04:26 PM »
Mmmmm...check out the blonde on the left.  :-*
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 04:29 PM »
Mmmmm...check out the blonde on the left.  :-*
You mean the one that Darwin "fat-ified"?  :P

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Yeah... not much of an advertisement for the "thinify" tool when everything else in the picture gets distorted, too... But then, what did I expect?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 05:28 PM »
tsaint's experience is the reason I finally had to drop CorelDRAW, a program I used daily for more than a decade. Much like Vista, Corel has made its products too difficult to use legally. I now avoid programs that like to take over the computer, and these usually are companies such as Corel and Adobe. I don't deny their greatness, but their overhead isn't worth the hassle.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 04:03 PM »
and the saga continues...
19 more attempts with support from corel australia suggesting a few things, including providing links to psp 6 install problems/remedies. All not effective.
20 phone corel australia for refund... no, have to phone corel usa. Bugger.
21. phone corel usa from australia - on hold for 7 minutes at international rates, wondering how long  it'll take, decide to hang up.
22. write long support entry on their website, takes about 10 minutes, try to submit and get new screen saying cant submit stuff to refunds department, but providing no way to either submit to different department, or save my typing (its lost from previous screen)...complete waste of time.
23. write a new support request, submit it to tech and tell them to forward it to refunds, and ask THEM to ring ME. That'd be funny.

As an aside (bonus?) if I do a search for paint shop pro x2 installation problem in google, I'm at the top of the page rankings! First time I made it to #1 - ever cloud has a silver lining:)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 05:37 PM »
tsaint, if it weren't so patently aggravating for you it would be amusing!
I think most of us have experienced that sense of utter astonishment  when a long, annoying venture like this is just dead-ended.
You don't know anyone at the phone company, do you, who could connect Corel support USA to Corel support in Australia? You can almost hear the sounds of their brains fusing from here :D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 05:46 PM »
I think right now Corel only deserves one of 2 things from you:
  • You move to another company and never ever come back
  • You download and use a ilegal version of X2 and tell them they don't need to bother anymore because you decided to download a cracked version of their product

Honestly, it makes NO sense for you to go through all those hoops when it's definitelly their incompetence's fault.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Agreed (not sure about using a crack, mind): this is ludicrous  :down:

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 06:18 PM »
It's time to threaten them with court proceedings to recover the money you spent on the application, on your calls etc to support to try to fix their problem, and a notional amount for your time - and I do mean notional, don't try to claim £300 per hour   ;)

That's assuming Aussie law has similar consumer protection statutes to English & Welsh law.