topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020  (Read 775390 times)

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.217.01 - Mar 20, 2015
« Reply #550 on: March 21, 2015, 03:16 AM »
New FARR release, this is great!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2015, 03:19 AM »
thank you for the encouragement -- i can't speak for all developers but for me personally it makes all the difference to have some friendly encouragement  :Thmbsup:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2015, 03:40 AM »
However: beta crashes for me when I do rplugins, "exception error EAccessViolation"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2015, 03:56 AM »
reliably? if so i'll send you a debug version and we can track down the problem.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2015, 05:12 AM »
I'm only on 2.213 and says up to date? :(

Ah   I see it's Beta.... :-[

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2015, 05:15 AM »
thank you for the encouragement -- i can't speak for all developers but for me personally it makes all the difference to have some friendly encouragement  :Thmbsup:

I wouldn't know what to do without FARR  :Thmbsup:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2015, 05:42 AM »
reliably?
No issue in the portable version. The problem is caused by an unreleased plugin I've made. When I remove that folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins\ and restart the error goes away. I'll troubleshoot that plugin on my own a bit.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2015, 05:45 AM »

I wouldn't know what to do without FARR  :Thmbsup:

+1 :D
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14 AM »
The problem is caused by an unreleased plugin I've made.

ah ok, i won't worry about it then.

feel free to message me though, i could either send you a debug version or you could send me the plugin and i may be able to help track down the problem more quickly.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: March 22, 2015, 06:12 PM »
mouser: I worked around the issue anyway. It was a fscript plugin for browsing/filtering some set of files through a html thumbnail grid (a more generic spinoff of the Album Displayer plugin I did way back). Maybe I used an outdated fscript version, not sure.

I realized I could skip the fscript/plugin part and only use an alias with "dolaunch" and "showfilehtml" commands and variables. The rest can be done in the .html file with javascript and an imported index file made manually or through autohotkey or some such tool. A key step is that the showfilehtml command can pass parameters from FARR to the html javascript code when the html is loaded. Since the FARR .chm manual (I think) doesn't explicitly describe that possibility I'll post here a general sketch on how to do it for anyone else who might want to try something like that.

First create a FARR alias with these details:
name: test
regular expression pattern:
^test (.+)$
Results:
test | dolaunch showfilehtml C:\folder\test.html?$$1
The dolaunch command means that the html will be loaded immediately each time the FARR inputbox string is updated and matches the alias pattern.

Next create C:\folder\test.html with this content
<SCRIPT>
var loc = String(window.location);
var pos = loc.indexOf("?")+1;      
var searchstring = loc.substring(pos);
document.write(searchstring);
</SCRIPT>

Now type "test hello" in FARR. The FARR results window should as you type "test h" immediately show "h" and so on. You can react to that input in any number of ways with html, javascript and the special farr:// commands that let you run stuff on the PC command line from the html/javascript.

For example the javascript code
location.href = "farr://C:/folder/";
would run (open) that folder. We can similarly run programs and pass command line parameters to them.

The html/javascript file can also import some pregenerated index you have made. For example of images that represent folders, books, music albums, games or whatever files/folders you want to index and display in a filterable thumbnail grid in FARR. For example create indexfile.txt in the same folder as test.html, add this to test.html
<script type="text/JavaScript" src="indexfile.txt">
and fill indexfile.txt with a comma separated array of things to index. For example:
rootfolder = "C:/folder/test/";
filearray = new Array("fileone.wav", "another file.wav", "third.wav");

Next code the test.html javascript to loop over the index and filter it based on the FARR search string and show thumbnails associated with matching index items. For the above simple array example we would also need to have positioned and named thumbnail files on the harddrive in a consistent relation to the items in the index. For example give each thumbnail the same non-extension name and folder as a file item in the index ( "fileone.jpg" and so on). Or if you index folders put an image named "thumb.jpg" in the root of each folder in the index. The javascript code can then for each item figure out its thumbnail file path and render the thumbnail image as a hyperlink that on click runs farr:// commands that runs/opens the file/folder .

Alternatively make a more complex index array that pairs each thing (file or folder) you may want to trigger from a thumbnail grid in FARR to the full path of its special thumbnail file.

The index would in all these cases need to be updated manually or through a separate script, unlike with regular FARR searches. But if the files/folders to be indexed don't change name/location very often a small indexing script that runs at boot or every nth hour may be good enough.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:39 AM by Nod5, Reason: typo »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: March 22, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Very clever use of dolaunch and showfilehtml!!!
Hadn't even occurred to me that you could do that. nice  :up:
We might want to split this post off and put it in it's own thread for others to find more easily.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36 AM »
We might want to split this post off and put it in it's own thread for others to find more easily.
Good idea. I'll try to expand this more to a template of sorts with more sample code and then give it a separate post.

Don Cody

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Thank you for the update.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Sorry it took so long to arrive -- i promise the next update will not be so far away  :Thmbsup:

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: March 23, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I have updated to the latest [beta] version. So far so good.  :Thmbsup:  :-*

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: March 24, 2015, 12:41 AM »
I  am really glad to see this program updated. I was gonna look for an alternative next week but I saw an update today :)

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42 AM »
Where are you guys getting the betas from??

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: March 24, 2015, 02:36 AM »
Got the update mesg window from FARR and updated it.

I have been using FARR since so long (Xp to W8.1) that now it seems like it is inbuilt feature of the OS  :)

I hardly thing twice before pressing the 'break' key to pop FARR to run any program I need. It has become my habit and I feel handicapped on my friends machine where FARR is not installed. Hey how you run a program ? What ? Start menu !! They look puzzled to me and I can not explain to them.

Regards,

Anand

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: March 24, 2015, 03:20 AM »
Got the update mesg window from FARR and updated it.

I have been using FARR since so long (Xp to W8.1) that now it seems like it is inbuilt feature of the OS  :)

I hardly thing twice before pressing the 'break' key to pop FARR to run any program I need. It has become my habit and I feel handicapped on my friends machine where FARR is not installed. Hey how you run a program ? What ? Start menu !! They look puzzled to me and I can not explain to them.

Regards,

Anand

I second that!  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: March 24, 2015, 05:38 AM »
Where are you guys getting the betas from??

you usually get it from the first post in this thread - but I see it has been officially released.

If it hasnt been offered to you yet, try right-clicking farr icon in the tray and check for updates.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: March 24, 2015, 05:42 AM »
what tomos said -- and the reason you are confused is because there WAS a new beta up until yesterday, at which point it became official -- and so became available via normal download url (and beta removed).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.218.01 - Mar 25, 2015
« Reply #571 on: March 25, 2015, 05:28 AM »
oops, last version broke some aliases/icons.  update should fix:

Version 2.218.01 - Mar 25, 2015
  • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with some alias icons and some launching of aliases related to a path resolution problem.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.218.01 - Mar 25, 2015
« Reply #572 on: April 05, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Another small issue with the latest version (in Win 7): if I search FARR for a folder and launch it the navigation pane (right side folder tree structure) is disabled, as I want it to be and as is default on my system. But if I launch a folder from an alias with
dolaunch C:\test\

then explorer opens with the navigation pane enabled. If I disable it manually and rerun the alias the pane appears again. It didn't appear in earlier versions of FARR.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.220.01 BETA - April 12, 2015
« Reply #573 on: April 12, 2015, 12:17 AM »
Version 2.220.01 - Apr 12, 2015 BETA
  • [Feature] A new "Quick Search Words" tab in options allows you to specify quick search word replacements; here you can quickly specify words that have alternate meanings when typed into the search box.  Start each line with a search word, followed by = and then the replacement text.  For example, if you would like to be able to type "ff" to search for "firefox" you can specify that here as "ff = firefox".  This just makes it much easier to do certain simple things without using aliases.  Note that replacements will only be made on word boundaries ("ff" will not match "eff").
  • [Bugfix] Non-contiguous scoring had a bug which might allow some results to list which should not (though it would give them a very low score).
  • [Feature] New option to require search words to match on left hand boundaries of words (whether contiguous enabled or not) -- can be useful in reducing spurious matches.
  • [Bugfix] Using spacebar to toggle checkboxes in the hotkey, searchfolder, pattern lists was not saving changes.
  • [Bugfix] Launched *folders* were no longer opening on Windows XP.

New Quick Search Words tab
Screenshot - 4_12_2015 , 12_18_40 AM.png

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.220.01 BETA - April 12, 2015
« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2015, 02:49 AM »
  • [Feature] A new "Quick Search Words" tab in options allows you to specify quick search word replacements; here you can quickly specify words that have alternate meanings when typed into the search box.  Start each line with a search word, followed by = and then the replacement text.  For example, if you would like to be able to type "ff" to search for "firefox" you can specify that here as "ff = firefox".  This just makes it much easier to do certain simple things without using aliases.  Note that replacements will only be made on word boundaries ("ff" will not match "eff").

my kind of feature :Thmbsup:
(easy to use :-[)
Tom