topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features  (Read 77970 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2008, 01:08 PM »
None of the Evernote apps have a license number.

What you need to do is uninstall. Reinstall the older version and start the upgrade again. While it is downloading the updated version check your user Temp folder (in XP is is at c:\Document and Settings\<user id>\Local settings\Temp and you should be able to find the installer.

Once it has downloaded quickly copy and paste it as IIRC the updater deletes the installer when it finishes.

This is the full version installer.
-Carol Haynes (March 23, 2008, 12:52 PM)

Exactly, Carol.

I used to go crazy trying to locate the "full" setup file to install after, say, reinstalling the OS on my PC.

Lack of a way to easily reinstall the licensed version has always been a "downside" to me.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Dormouse,

I too shall stick with 2.2 and hope that it doesn't need any sort of major fix or update for a long time. I like it as it is now. As far as the "access from anywhere" concept, I can effectively do that now by syncing regularly to a USB Flash drive and then keeping that drive with me as much as reasonably possible.

The local option was added very recently and it is obviously in response to those complaining about being forced to use a server-only version. That's a good sign IMO. Hopefully they will decide that a large enough piece of their user base wants to keep their Evernotes data local.

Of course if a large enough market really jumps on the new online version, that will be enough for them to go with the online version alone. Let's face it: software is a market-driven product, like most, and they will go where the most money is to be made.

Jim

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2008, 03:00 PM »
I myself am saddened with the way evernote is going. I had a look at their forum and it seems even the power users are disappointed. any of you find a good substitute for en? I am now a bit hesitant to add new notes to my current databases.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I myself am saddened with the way evernote is going. I had a look at their forum and it seems even the power users are disappointed. any of you find a good substitute for en? I am now a bit hesitant to add new notes to my current databases.

I'm still using Evernote 2.2.1. I figure it'll be good at least until I start using a new OS at some point that doesn't support it, as the Evernote developers most likely won't be supporting it by then.

In the meantime I also have OneNote 2007 and I am finding it very accommodating as a replacement for EN if need be. I've had it for a while but have just really begun to examine and use it more closely. Of course it is not free and you won't see it on a Give Away site anytime soon. However academic versions can be had very inexpensively.

Jim

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2008, 12:45 AM »
I have onenote and surfulator to replace evernote, pity to see something so good at what it did change, i havent decided which to use yet, they both seem pretty good.  Probably onenote just edges out surfulator but  mainly its just the finish of the product.  Thought I'd change now before I had too much stuff in evernote.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2008, 03:27 AM »
I have onenote and surfulator to replace evernote, pity to see something so good at what it did change, i havent decided which to use yet, they both seem pretty good.  Probably onenote just edges out surfulator but  mainly its just the finish of the product.  Thought I'd change now before I had too much stuff in evernote.
apparently tagging is in beta in Surfulater, I'll be happy to see that one...
Tom

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2008, 02:32 PM »
I'm like many of the others who have commented here - I don't want my data on Evernote's servers - and have been preparing to start using OneNote or Surfulater or SQLNotes.

Two things I saw in the latest version of Evernote I downloaded (Ver 3.0.0.550 (27500)) have made me take one more look at it.

The two things are:

1. Ability to make notebooks "local" and not synchronized to their servers.

2. A "Work offline" mode. When starting the application in this mode it doesn't ask you to log in to their server and it appears to be really "offline".

As far as I can tell everything is working OK. I'm going to try it in this mode for a couple of more days before deciding whether to dump it.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Yes, but they also have put a limit on saved searches, done away with the category intersections, and a lot of other features that used to make Evernote more powerful.

If you are in favor of a much "dumbed-down" experience, go for it!

Jim

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2008, 02:48 PM »
1. Ability to make notebooks "local" and not synchronized to their servers.

Do you know if they've returned the ability to synchronize locally via a flash drive? That's absolutely necessary for the way I want to use it.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2008, 02:53 PM »
I understand why some wouldn't want their data on the web. But, I don't understand all the big fuss about the new version. The way I see it is you can stick with ver 2.2 if you want the advanced stuff or move to 3 if you want your data accessible from the web.

I have looked favorably on this developement because:
1. Ver 2.2 is now free and still has all the features that people are moaning about being lost in 3
2. Choice to move to have data online.

I don't understand all the talk along the lines of "I guess I'll have to look elsewhere". Ver 2.2 still works as well as it did last month. The only thing missing is further development. But, if you are happy about the way it is now then go for it.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2008, 02:58 PM »
The time and effort invested in the data could be substantial and its not likely that you could stay with 2.2 forever. So, if you think 3.0 is the wrong direction, then you need to look away from Evernote. Continuing with 2.2 would be a short/medium term option only.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41 PM »
1. Ver 2.2 is now free and still has all the features that people are moaning about being lost in 3

Evernote 2.2 isn't free - it is still only available on the Evernote website as a 60 day trial and then buy.

I suspect support and development (as well as availability of downloads) of version 2.2 will cease once version 3 leaves the beta stage.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:43 PM by Carol Haynes »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2008, 04:12 PM »
I was hoping that they would give it away for free. Since v3 is free, it just does not make sense
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:24 PM by kartal »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Version 3 is still in beta (isn't it?) I'm sure the storage options (and probably the version 3 software) will incur charges when it gets into general release.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2008, 07:58 PM »
I use version 3 but without online stuff. I have no intention of using online storage. But I like the tool, I would not even have any problem with paying for an advance version of the software.

I do not think it is in beta, it is released as far as I understand.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2008, 01:13 AM »
Correct - Evernote 3 is no longer in beta. Premium is $4.95/month or $45.00/year - all USD.

Oddly enough, though, they were selling the premium subscriptions while they were still in beta, which I don’t agree with.

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2008, 01:27 AM »
I actually think that both their software and online service is very good, especially for what you pay. I hope they stay in business. But as I mentioned I am just not interested in their online business especially because their privacy policy just sounds like Google`s and on the otherhand some 100 mb would not cut for me and in the end it would be very expensive if I start using it for my projects and my online deliveries( considering that I already have hundreds of megabytes of notes and personal data that needs to be moved to evernote). If it was offering super strict privacy policy(totally on customer`s side) and offering at least  1 gb a month for 5-15$ I would not mind paying it.

On the otherhand if they improve their desktop software, expand ink notes and import- export features I would have no problem even paying 100$ for it.  But without the features I am looking for it is kind of pointless.

Anyways I hope they stay in business because they really offer something, a product unlike many web companies that just offer jibberish.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2008, 02:08 AM »
I actually think that both their software and online service is very good, especially for what you pay. I hope they stay in business. But as I mentioned I am just not interested in their online business especially because their privacy policy just sounds like Google`s and on the otherhand some 100 mb would not cut for me and in the end it would be very expensive if I start using it for my projects and my online deliveries( considering that I already have hundreds of megabytes of notes and personal data that needs to be moved to evernote). If it was offering super strict privacy policy(totally on customer`s side) and offering at least  1 gb a month for 5-15$ I would not mind paying it.

On the otherhand if they improve their desktop software, expand ink notes and import- export features I would have no problem even paying 100$ for it.  But without the features I am looking for it is kind of pointless.

Anyways I hope they stay in business because they really offer something, a product unlike many web companies that just offer jibberish.

??  Premium subscription gives you 500 MB per month bandwidth, plus SSL.

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2008, 02:12 AM »
Jim, the thing is I have multiple gb of data that I keep intact. I have no intention of trying to dissect my personal notes and data to fit in that range. On the other hand their privacy policy is not convincing for me to go forward and split my data.

I just do not like per month data transfer thing. That is very gray and shady area. I want to see a clear picture and a clear plan. I have the same problem  with amazon s3 thing. They will tell you how cheap it is, but when I make my calculations it becomes very costly. I prefer a very clear plan rather than some vague transfer limits.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:14 AM by kartal »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2008, 11:43 AM »
OK. You had mentioned 100 MB so I thought you were under the impression that was their limit.

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2008, 01:49 PM »
I guess I should have said only couple hundred megs :) 

500mb is alot normally. But as I said I just have very established and very very efficient information system here, that is also big in size. For people like me evernote online does not make sense, especially when their import export features are very limited. It recognizes only couple file format because. The problem is that you put it in evernote and trying to get the data out is a problem. Yes you can export html. I checked their html output, it is very underdeveloped and there is no interface that will let me choose how I want my export to be.

SO at the moment I am only using for sketching :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2008, 11:09 PM »
You can export to XML - how is that limiting? Actually you can currently export to HTML, MHT, TXT, and ENEX - which is a rich XML format.

Have checked in there lately? Some of the features did progress during the beta.

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2008, 11:16 PM »
J-mac,

Yes it exports to html and txt, but all the selected notes are in the same file. How am I supposed to take it and put in another application. I am not a programmer and I do not have time for trying to figure out how to dice an xml file either. That is what I am talking about. If you know a way to export as seperate files with propoer names etc please let me know , otherwise its export features are useless for me, especially the image export is useless because it names the pictures with some jibberish names that has no relation to original note image or tags.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2008, 02:53 PM »
SQLNotes can import EverNote v2 export files. It also imports categories as fields. I wonder if it works with version 3. (From SQLNotes you can import/export your items to something else -- like access or Excel).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2008, 03:19 PM »
SQLNotes can import EverNote v2 export files. It also imports categories as fields. I wonder if it works with version 3. (From SQLNotes you can import/export your items to something else -- like access or Excel).

Ooh... that's nice to know. I've got a recent beta of SQLNotes installed on my other notebook but STILL haven't had time to play with it. Might give that a go, though... Thanks, Armando  :Thmbsup: