topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features  (Read 77961 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Not sure but I think there was a link on the website about updating templates?

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 06:05 PM »
Not sure but I think there was a link on the website about updating templates?
There is. Unfortunately, if you read all the posts in that thread, nobody can get it to work.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 02:11 AM »
Ah right - sorry hadn't actually tried to use it.

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12 AM »
I noticed on the Evernote blog that people can invite friends into the evernote beta, does anyone have any invites spare ?

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 06:35 AM »
On the Evernote web page you can read "Evernote Wants You" and "If you would like to receive an invitation to the beta, please click here", and similar stuff. I tried to register twice, but nobody replied, not even an automated response. Apparently, they don't want me, at least... Try it and let us know.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Invited or not, you can download what you want from this page - http://www.evernote....ownload/beta/#macwin

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 07:47 PM »
I don't really like Evernote 3 that much so far. Your database is on their server - no more local databases. And your backups are also online. If you have no internet connection you're out of luck.

Also, it appears that there is no more auto-category tagging, severely reduced category intersection features. By trying to make Evernote an "access from anywhere" application they have placed a lot of limits on it. The beta forum doesn't seem to be a very happy place lately.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25 PM »
Your database is on their server - no more local databases. And your backups are also online.

This cannot be right?! This must be a beta limitation - no letting users store their data locally would be SUICIDE for the company IMNSHO. If this is indeed the case, I'll be sticking with the last build of 2.x and they'll never see a penny of my money for upgrades from it  :down: >:(

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Well, I just downloaded the beta, so I'll let you know shortly. But the beta forum has posts complaining about this new "feature".

Hopefully what I read is not true, or is just misunderstood. But that seems to be a complaint on the boards there.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Take a look at this thread. Tell me what you think...

Jim
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:02 AM by J-Mac »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 09:57 PM »
Awww man -- they are making it an "online application".  Trying to make a social network out of Evernote. Interact with Facebook and all that. It says they will try to add some local database support back in before the beta is over, but it doesn't sound like a priority for them. I don't like that at all.

Hopefully they will support 2.2 for a while, because I won't bother with the online version. I don't need nor want that. It appears they have a new CEO at Evernote and this is his big thing  -social networking.

Booo!

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Online storage raises privacy issues as well.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Online storage raises privacy issues as well.

Yeah, you have to sign in to use your Evernote database, and then you have to mark everything "Private" or "Public".  I really hate that because it is too easy to accidentally make public that which you had meant to keep private. Too much risk of that for me to want to put anything online. Plus, they can easily expose all your private data - those who maintain the servers are not infallible.

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I have to agree with all the comments here.

I have absolutely no use for a program that stores all my notes/info online, especially on someone elses server. I downloaded the beta of 3 but have not installed it. If I wanted to store info on a server, then I always could have chosen to upload my database to a server of my own choosing, My database is portable anyway.

The real question for me is whether it is worthwhile continuing to use and develop my uses of Evernote. The tags were useful and the search was fast, but if 2.2 is an evolutionary deadend, what do I gain from any further time spent in it? Am I better spending all my efforts on OneNote, which I use extensively anyway because of its outlining and constructive faculty?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 11:00 PM »
I have Evernote and OneNote 2007 and I am thinking the same way.  I see what they are trying to do with Evernote 3, and I imagine some will like that. But not me!

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Yeah, you have to sign in to use your Evernote database, and then you have to mark everything "Private" or "Public". 

They do say there will be a 'local' option. Personally, I would never want a 'public' or 'private' option and assume that those options could be switched off if I chose.

I do find the direction of travel towards easier, online and facebook integration something that profoundly puts me off the product.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 11:42 PM »
Early posts indicated that the local storage was gone, but when most there complained about this they changed their tune and said that something will be done to add local backups in the future - but nothing like that is there yet. Definitely sounds like what will be added back will be a very limited local storage - they're really pushing the "sharing your notes with friends" concept.

I hate that!

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 11:54 PM »
Trust that some people have in technology is amazing . What if you loose your connection for a day or 2? I mean it is quite possible that one may forget to pay the cable bill or something beside technical blackouts. People who solely use online apps drives me nuts sometimes.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 02:34 AM »
Don't get me wrong - there are some online apps I really like and use: Toodledo for my tasklist; Backpack by 37 Signals for kind of a personal intranet site. But I use my notes apps for far too much that I don't want online only.

Good thing I also use One Note 2007 and AM Notes!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 02:59 AM »
a sad day by the sounds of it...

Take a look at this thread. Tell me what you think...

Jim

was there a link to go with that Jim ?
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 03:43 AM »
I have been reading this somewhat nonplussed too! Like other commentators here 2.2 will be the last version for me if that is what they are thinking. Oh well it is still in beta - hopefully they will get the message before version 3 is released.

If they are arguing they want portability why don't they simply make Evernote Portable better.

If they want to allow notes to be shared with friends and colleagues why not just set up a way to post your shared message on a simple forum with access controls (like this one!) or link it with a collaboration tool like Live Messenger so that you can have a shared folder for friends to access.

For me the whole point of Evernote is that it is a simple and low resouce method of making notes and grabbing bits of info. I realise they see the need to 'innovate' but following the herd into Facebook is not innovation!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 05:31 AM »
sounds like a Dilbert scenario - new CEO takes company..eh..somewhere completely different..
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 07:04 AM »
a sad day by the sounds of it...
was there a link to go with that Jim ?

Take another look Tomos - I fixed it; not sure what happened last night. Oh well... it was late!!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 08:15 AM »
I find it really discouraging that the developers/company reps have ignored the issue on the Evernote beta forum - other issues raised in the thread Jim pointed us to, and others, have been addressed, but they've been silent about local databases and the online focus of the new version (other than to keep touting the virtues of an online focus) :o

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2008, 06:02 AM »
boy, makes me happy I decided to go with OneNote2007. Do so many people really want online-dependent apps? Weird. I guess the next step will be smaller hard drives included in computer, yet more ram :-\