topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How do you launch stuff?  (Read 115954 times)

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you launch stuff?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Rocker452 - is the Hotkeys at http://qliner.com/hotkeys/overview.htm a decendent of the Hotkeys that was written in the 90's by SheAr Software?
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Hunh?/
Farr/Luanchy, yeah, yeah. What's your hurry? Lookit, take a breath and slow down a little. Kindly think about backups/images instead. Might serve you better, IMHO.

hth,
OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

[deXter]

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Lord of the Scripts
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2007, 09:14 PM »
I prefer Executor. It works like launchy/FARR/Slickrun.

It has one of the lowest memory/cpu footprint, so it's fast even on my 400Mhz PC.

There's hotkey support, so I can launch my fav. programs without even activating the command bar.

The best thing I like though, is that the author is super-fast in fixing bugs. He's also quite approachable and open to new features/ideas.
One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them
In the Land of The Net where the Hackers lie.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2007, 11:51 PM »
* FARR
* Quicklaunch (from truelaunchbar, not that different though)

though i find that FARR gets slower the more directories you add to it.
For example i have all my portable/standalone/no-install programs in C:\Programs, and when i try to find something in it, it takes too long.
Another issue is i don't know when it's done searching.

You could use the Locate32 Plug-in for farr -- no more waiting since everything is indexed, if you wish. For most of the C drive, I use locate.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2007, 12:01 AM »
What we need now is a careful mega review of all these launchers with a comparison table! ;D

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2007, 02:01 AM »
Great!

Can you do it Armando?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2007, 05:39 AM »
You could use the Locate32 Plug-in for farr -- no more waiting since everything is indexed, if you wish.

At some point you have to update Locate32's index, though.  You can do it on demand, but I run it twice a day via the scheduler, a tip originally from BrotherS I think.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2007, 06:11 AM »

The configuration set-up screenshots make it look complicated.  How do you compare it to FARR and SlickRun?  SlickRun, at least, looks comparatively simple on the surface.

Also, I see Executor has "limited functionality" on Win9x which I still use at home   :(

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53 AM »
Great!

Can you do it Armando?

Actually, it was more meant as a joke... But surely could be done if 3-4 people teamed up. Unfortunately I'm a bit short of time right now. Maybe in a few months.

A wiki would be handy for these types of reviews. (It has been suggested in the past... I think the idea was  abandoned for some reasons...)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2007, 09:00 AM »
What we need now is a careful mega review of all these launchers with a comparison table! ;D

Tinjaw's Pico-Review of Launchers

FARRRox
DirectAccessRox
Everything ElseSux

Yes, Tinjaw has had one too many energy drinks before 09:00. OK, maybe two too many.  :P

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2007, 09:12 AM »
Tinjaw, I take it that you haven't tried Dash??? My favorite of the bunch right now.

I did try Executor last night but it looks like it doesn't search for programs. You have to manually set an alias for each program. That might not be the case because I didn't try it for too long before deleting it.

My must have in a launcher is for it to index and launch my Firefox bookmarks. Both FARR and Dash do that nicely.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2007, 09:24 AM »
tinny, did you try the free Phrase Express. I am curious to understand why you would pay up for DA when you can have Phrase Express for free.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2007, 09:56 AM »
tinny, did you try the free Phrase Express. I am curious to understand why you would pay up for DA when you can have Phrase Express for free.

I hadn't looked at Phrase Express, however, after taking a peek at it, I still prefer DA. First of all I view DA as both a launcher and an auto-typer. It looks like PE is focused on being an auto-typer. I like the GUI to DA and I like the support that it receives from the developer and the way the "corporation" behind the software acts. DA has many bells and whistles that make it easier and more of a pleasure to use.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Tinjaw, I take it that you haven't tried Dash???

Nope. Link please.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2007, 10:02 AM »
DA does look better and its GUI scores over PE. But PE is equally good/fast once you familiarize yourself w/ it. I use PE not just for expanding text but for launching programs and websites as well.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

[deXter]

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Lord of the Scripts
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10 AM »

The configuration set-up screenshots make it look complicated.  How do you compare it to FARR and SlickRun?  SlickRun, at least, looks comparatively simple on the surface.

Also, I see Executor has "limited functionality" on Win9x which I still use at home   :(
It certainly has some features that both of them don't have. Don't ask me to list them, they're way too many. The options screen isn't *that* complicated if you just go through section by section. Besides, the installer has a wizard that will set it up the way you like. If you like a minimalist design for instance, Executor can be set up in that way.

About the Win9x compatibility, I suppose the "limited functionality" isn't anything major, probably something like transparency not being available. Any particular reason why you're using Win9x at home?

----

@edbro: Yes, Executor does search for programs, but it doesn't do bookmarks :( I guess I'll have to drop another note to the author :)
One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them
In the Land of The Net where the Hackers lie.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:14 AM by [deXter] »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Tinjaw, I take it that you haven't tried Dash???

Nope. Link please.
http://www.trydash.com/home/

Big Donation Coder discussion here:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9268.0

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Dash does look pretty and pretty impressive. I'm sure Andrew will take a look at it and, um, borrow some ideas, as I am sure Dash's developers will do with Andrew's DirectAccess. Maybe I will put Dash on my other computer and see how I like it.

deberett

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2007, 11:07 AM »
I use the Jet Toolbar to launch my programs and browsers and find that having it at the top is the most convienient way to access it.  I also have it so it appears when moused over.  I find it to be very quick and convenient.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2007, 11:12 AM »
I use the Jet Toolbar to launch my programs and browsers and find that having it at the top is the most convienient way to access it.  I also have it so it appears when moused over.  I find it to be very quick and convenient.

http://www.cowonamer...oolbar/features.html

Voice Recognition

jetToolBar supports any SAPI-compatible speech recognition engines, and includes Microsoft Whisper speech recognition engine by default. You can enjoy voice recognition if your computer has sound card and microphone. To launch program, simply talk the name of the button.
so do you actually talk at your computer ? :tellme:  :)
Tom

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2007, 11:27 AM »

http://www.cowonamer...oolbar/features.html

Voice Recognition

jetToolBar supports any SAPI-compatible speech recognition engines, and includes Microsoft Whisper speech recognition engine by default. You can enjoy voice recognition if your computer has sound card and microphone. To launch program, simply talk the name of the button.
so do you actually talk at your computer ? :tellme:  :)

Somebody could get their fifteen minutes of fame by mashing up some footage from Star Trek where Scottie talks to the computer mouse, and some screencasts of people using voice-to-text software. I am thinking Star Trek meets Strong Bad meets YouTube

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2007, 07:42 PM »

FARRRox
DirectAccessRox
Everything ElseSux

Yes, Tinjaw has had one too many energy drinks before 09:00. OK, maybe two too many.  :P

This is exactly what I was waiting for!

ravenlaughs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Fire From The Sky
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2007, 08:08 PM »
RemoteKeys
Also my password shooter and clip assistant and....
I made a NoteTab clipbook for making RemoteKeys pop-menus LOL

RUNit (Link may not work, but the proggie still does) I stick this into other people's computers - ones I work on often - so I can access my own tools without confusing or scaring anybody ;)

Free Commander

A few other small things, launched from RemoteKeys when I need something that isn't in it.

On RARE occasions, I right-click my rather bare desktop to get a minimal version of the Windwoes start menu.
Happiness is a warm reboot

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2007, 08:16 AM »

FARRRox
DirectAccessRox
Everything ElseSux

This is exactly what I was waiting for!

Since edbro has pointed me to Dash, I have to revise my review.

FARRRox
DirectAccessRox
Dashooooh shiny *
Everything ElseSux
* I am evaluating further.

Stay tuned for an update.