topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 13 Reasons Why Linux Won't Make it to a Desktop Near You  (Read 31747 times)

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 13 Reasons Why Linux Won't Make it to a Desktop Near You
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 12:10 AM »
I don't know the inner debates about this so i'm definitely not going to take sides -- and the truth is i'm friendly to the idea of retaining some control and guiding direction in the hands of a small group of people than many in the open source community, but i do find it interesting.
-mouser
I agree that having it in the hands of a small group would be preferable, if the group is responsive to users, I don't mean just geeks and nerds either.
They have to be responsive to all potential users also.
Unless it's accessable to the mainstream it will never evolve.

tymrwt33

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21 AM »
I think reasons one to four are not true. Most PC users know of, or heard of Linux.

I think there is only one reason for lack of Linux popularity, considering it is free : It is not user friendly.

terribleterryc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Mile High Denver Member since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 11:33 AM »
This seems like an OK thread to ask WHY does one have to use terminal/konsol?  Is a windows-like install difficult because of so many different Linux flavors or differences in Intel and AMD architecture or all the above or some other considerations?

jandi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Ever since I was forced to install Linux on a partition of my laptop for a school project, I've been dabbing with Linux, tempted to switch full time to it, but always coming back to my Windows partition.  Main issues that keep me in Linux is the lack of support for hardware.  I'm specially annoyed that mi wireless card, which has native Linux drivers, is not supported out of the box by way too many distributions.   I was not able to get my printer or camera to work either.   I could probably get it to work.  But I don't have the time, so I always end up booting back into Windows, which fully recognizes everything I throw at it, and where installing a driver is reduced to downloading from the manufacturer and running the installation program, no hunting for dependencies and compiling stuff.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I really like Linux. The idea of running full open-source with no "limits" on software, or what I am listening to in Big-Brother-Is-Watching-Over-Me iTunes (by accepting the agreement, remember: DON'T USE ITUNES TO CREATE NUCLEAR WARHEADS OR OTHER MISSILES - thats from the actual agreement...no, Apple isn't insane...:P), and the added effect of "You use Linux?" are just bonuses to a list of things that I liked about it when I tried it for the first time. I do hate the horrible, awful, insane "installation" process. Hence why I never have any new software on my Linux partitions ;D.

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 11:07 AM »
Well i think software like glade or kdevelop have some restrictions why not RAD tool like delphi in linux?
it could run on wxwisgets.But should have no restriction like QT.