topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager  (Read 50771 times)

idean

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 08:56 AM »
If you use a combination of TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) and Portable Firefox (http://portableapps....net/firefox_portable), any data kept on the USB stick should be safe.

Sorry - I'm a bit late joing this thread!

I was looking at some of the interesting uses of Tiddlywikki particularly with regard to storing 'emergency' or 'personal' info.

I am wondering if there would not be security issues here:

I'll be working through the suggestions and will get some of this implemented so that if anything happens to me, my wife isn't left beating her head against the wall because she doesn't know the password to access our credit card online

Tiddlywikki is using html which in unencrypted form would sit inside the browser cache of any computer it was read on. Wouldn't this leave extremely personal data totally exposed..? This would be especially true if running from a USB stick on multiple computers?

Just a thought...

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Following on from what idean said I guess any portable crypt (including something like Cryptainer or Dekart) would allow a degree of security. That said, I did come across this blog where comparative issues are discussed. http://my.opera.com/...blog/show.dml/405642

Have to say I am not about to use Tiddlywiki but I kind of got side-tracked by this thread  :-[

May be of interest to those on this thread though...

gallozzi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 09:39 AM »
For a program that will do all that, plus a whole lot more, see: DoOrganizer
http://www.gemx.com/doorganizer.php

Chuck

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 10:52 AM »
For a program that will do all that, plus a whole lot more, see: DoOrganizer
http://www.gemx.com/doorganizer.php

Chuck

There,s a whole thread on GemX though... IMO one should read it before buying do-organizer etc. GemX future doesn't look too bright at the moment.

walsch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 07:13 AM »
Its called "Family Matters" and the current URL for download is:

http://www.statefarm...enter_fammatters.asp

Great, thank you  :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 08:06 AM »
There's also "Organize my Electronic Filing Cabinet for Dummies". If you're in Canada and you have a Bank of Montreal Mosaik Mastercard, you can get the Personal version for free (or 50% off the Professional version - final price $17.99). I haven't tried it, but it might do the job.

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 09:21 PM »
There is an encryption plug-in (AES256) for TiddlyWiki that leaves the html file encrypted. I use this to ensure data is kept private and safe:
http://remotely-help...dlerEncryptionPlugin

Joe35M

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I just got this announcement for Store-It-All from PC Magazine's Utility Library. It looks like it might work as a Family/Household PIM/Manager., so I'm going to d/l it and check it out over the next few days.

The following is quoted from the e-mail announcment:
Keep Important Data in a Centralized, Searchable Location. StoreItAll makes it easy to organize all the bits of information flowing in and out of your life. It's a centralized, searchable repository for all your important and not-so-important data.

With StoreItAll you can:
  • create notes in Rich Text Format (RTF)
  • ?save bookmarks
  • store any file with the ability to view DOC, XLS, RTF, TXT, JPEG, GIF, ICO, PNG, and BMP files and Web Archives
  • create and record passwords
  • store credit card information
  • save Web pages
  • add tags to your data to make it easily searchable

In addition, you can:
  • export viewable data into PDFs
  • encrypt your data

Supported Platforms: Windows 2000, XP & Vista
Requirements: Microsoft's .Net 2.0 Framework which you can download here.
If you want to view Microsoft DOC and XLS files in StoreItAll, Microsoft Word and Excel need to be installed.
Version: 1.0 released: September 28, 2007
<End Quote>

http://www.pcmag.com...PCPC10708DEM3C000118

It costs only $7.97 (free to Utility Library subscribers)

Joe35M

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 04:55 PM »
Maybe I won't try this after all...  To run StoreItAll, you need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework.

(Don't d/l this using Firefox; MS will tell you that you'll have to install a Firefox Add-on to access the file via Firefox.  Instead, I closed the Fox and used IE instead.)

But before you can install .NET, you have to run Windows Installer, which is supported by Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Though Vista support is claimed by StoreItAll, Vista is not mentioned for WinInstaller.  Thinking that this may just be an oversight, I downloaded both apps from MS.  When I run the first one, WinInstaller, I get a message telling me that there's "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I doubt that 340 Meg isn't enough, and I doubt I want to spend any more time on this.  If anyone can come up with a way of making all of these apps behave, I'd be grateful.

Regards,
Joe35

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Doesn't Vista come with .NET Framework 2.0?  If so, then it seems the installer is truly borked.

Joe35M

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 03:04 PM »
Looks like you're right, MW.  Running StoreItAllSetup.exe without running the other two did install StoreItAll on my Vista box.  I wonder why PCMag's description says "requires .NET", implying that all platforms need to install it.

Anyway... I ran the freshly installed StoreItAll to give it a test drive.  First two things I noticed: When entering data for a credit card, there's a field named "CW".  What's this, I wonder, Googling as quick as my fingers can fly.  Turns out that CW is a misread of C V V, which is another way of saying it's the CSC, the 3- or 4-digit Card Security Code.

Second thing: the last data field in the new record is for "Notes".  I entered some information, then saved the completed record.  I can now view or edit the record... except for the data in the Notes field, which I can't find anywhere.  This is not just not useful, it's annoying.

Together, the application's Credit Card, Documents, Notes and Password data types might make the app work as a repository of Household PIM data, but I think its usefulness will be a highly personal judgment.  So far, I'm not too optimistic.  (But then, living through more than 3700 Mondays can make anybody cranky and irritable. ;)

Regards,
Joe35

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Good grief Joe35, 3700 Mondays doesn't look like a lot when stated that way, but when you divide it by 52 it's a more impressive number than I was anticipating!

Joe35M

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Darwin,

I surprise even myself.

/j

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Anyway... Nice to have you here Joe! Welcome to Donationcoder and I hope that you'll spend more time here!