ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager

<< < (7/8) > >>

Darwin:
There's also "Organize my Electronic Filing Cabinet for Dummies". If you're in Canada and you have a Bank of Montreal Mosaik Mastercard, you can get the Personal version for free (or 50% off the Professional version - final price $17.99). I haven't tried it, but it might do the job.

johnfdeluca:
There is an encryption plug-in (AES256) for TiddlyWiki that leaves the html file encrypted. I use this to ensure data is kept private and safe:
http://remotely-helpful.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlerEncryptionPlugin.html#TiddlerEncryptionPlugin

Joe35M:
I just got this announcement for Store-It-All from PC Magazine's Utility Library. It looks like it might work as a Family/Household PIM/Manager., so I'm going to d/l it and check it out over the next few days.

The following is quoted from the e-mail announcment:
Keep Important Data in a Centralized, Searchable Location. StoreItAll makes it easy to organize all the bits of information flowing in and out of your life. It's a centralized, searchable repository for all your important and not-so-important data.

With StoreItAll you can:

* create notes in Rich Text Format (RTF)
* ?save bookmarks
* store any file with the ability to view DOC, XLS, RTF, TXT, JPEG, GIF, ICO, PNG, and BMP files and Web Archives
* create and record passwords
* store credit card information
* save Web pages
* add tags to your data to make it easily searchable
In addition, you can:

* export viewable data into PDFs
* encrypt your data
Supported Platforms: Windows 2000, XP & Vista
Requirements: Microsoft's .Net 2.0 Framework which you can download here.
If you want to view Microsoft DOC and XLS files in StoreItAll, Microsoft Word and Excel need to be installed.
Version: 1.0 released: September 28, 2007
<End Quote>

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2189658,00.asp?kc=PCPC10708DEM3C000118

It costs only $7.97 (free to Utility Library subscribers)

Joe35M:
Maybe I won't try this after all...  To run StoreItAll, you need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework.

(Don't d/l this using Firefox; MS will tell you that you'll have to install a Firefox Add-on to access the file via Firefox.  Instead, I closed the Fox and used IE instead.)

But before you can install .NET, you have to run Windows Installer, which is supported by Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Though Vista support is claimed by StoreItAll, Vista is not mentioned for WinInstaller.  Thinking that this may just be an oversight, I downloaded both apps from MS.  When I run the first one, WinInstaller, I get a message telling me that there's "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I doubt that 340 Meg isn't enough, and I doubt I want to spend any more time on this.  If anyone can come up with a way of making all of these apps behave, I'd be grateful.

Regards,
Joe35

mwb1100:
Doesn't Vista come with .NET Framework 2.0?  If so, then it seems the installer is truly borked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version