topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CCleaner 2.0 Beta Released - Clean the Crap off your Computer  (Read 36675 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
One of the best free cleaning tools just got a little better (note this is a beta build so normal people might want to wait for a stable release!)

Features of CCleaner 2.0:
  • Complete rebuild in C++ - With the requirements for a portable version, 64-bit compatibility and Windows Vista increasing against the limitations of the old architecture. We decided to rebuild the entire CCleaner application in highly optimized C++.
  • Faster analyzing and cleaning - Each scanning process was rewritten from scratch and fully optimized. The result being a noticeable speed increase in all areas.
  • Portable - CCleaner can now run from a USB thumbdrive and be installed/run on a computer without a complicated setup process.
  • Compact - The rewrite removed all external file dependencies, so the main EXE is now half the size of the original program and support files.
  • Redesigned User Interface - The original CCleaner user interface was looking a little dated, so the GUI was redesigned with a modern look, but without sacrificing speed or usability. New icons were created for the interface and the main program icon was updated with a more modern style.
  • Exclusions - It is now possible to specify files, folders and registry keys to ignore from the cleaning process.
  • Loads of little tweaks - Too numerous to mention them all separately, we've tried to improve CCleaner in all areas.

from http://tech.cybernetnews.com/

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CCleaner 2.0 Beta Released - Clean the Crap off your Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:06 AM »
I ran CCleaner 2.0 beta and it SEEMS to have caused issues with a fine piece of software called LaunchBar Commander (1.60.06).  When I try use a Menu Node Type to display a list of files in a folder and click on an item, I get an error message: "ERROR: could not launch quickdoclauncher..."

Has anyone else encountered this?

Regards

Damian

PS reinstalling LaunchBar Commander solved the issue

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:16 AM »
i wonder if ccleaner didn't delete the file?
maybe run ccleaner again and see if it wants to delete it for some reason?  sure seems odd that it would have..

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:28 AM »
Hmmm, I ran CCleaner again and all was OK.  Maybe it was those darn gremlins which visit my PC every now and then.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:28 PM »
I yearn for new software releases, and I :-* CCleaner. I hope they hurry up and put the final one up for grabs! :)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 07:18 AM »

Define 'normal' mouser!... :D

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:21 AM by CleverCat »

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:43 AM »
I use cleanup.  Which is considered better?

Lynn

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Final version is out. Waiting for the alternative builds... and then it's time to pest Piriform with suggestions :D

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 01:49 PM »
thanks for the info  :Thmbsup:
CCleaner is really a great tool  :Thmbsup:
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:27 AM »
New version working great here! :Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 11:25 AM »
One needs to be careful though. After using Ccleaner, yesterday, many settings in office 2003 were reset. I'm afraid other stuff was changed too... I could not find any detailed explanations in the on line help file about the "application" tab settings. I've also got other problems, but I don't have enough evidence to think they're due to CCleaner. Wondering if anybody experienced problems here? (BTW, didn't use the registry cleaner. Not crazy enough for that)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:27 AM by Armando »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 12:21 PM »
When i first used CCleaner i had those sort of problems, Armando, very quickly learnt to untick boxes for the stuff i didnt want to lose  ;) Actually i tried that other one , clean up, and failed to remember to untick things so had to reset a few things  :-[  Oh well, we live and learn, or die trying

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:55 PM »
Oh well... As you say. Thanks Grorgy. I'll be even more careful next time.
There should be some tooltips or other indication of what the different settings do -- it feels incomplete, and the help file is not very useful. Anyhow

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 03:35 PM »
The final version of CCleaner 2.0 is still shaky, and some people is reporting it in the Piriform forums (namely, slow scanning speed). Add that the slim version is still not ready (hmmm...), and I suggest you guys to wait some days for things to settle down.

On to the applications part. My tip is untick everything. That, or go through the winapp.ini entries, going to the locations written there, and ensuring it won't delete any data you'll need. The application cleaning file of CCleaner needs a full audit to ensure it deletes everything that is fluff, and preserves everything that it's needed for the applications to operate (or at least, things that are not recreated everytime you start the application). That's why I use my own winapp.ini, to prevent CCleaner's own going berserk on my computer.

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I seem to be having a problem with my IE temp files, etc.  I do use ccleaner and cleanup, but sometimes I still don't seem to have all the files (temp, cookie, etc) cleaned out.  Any suggestions?

Lynn

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 06:46 PM »
I seem to be having a problem with my IE temp files, etc.  I do use ccleaner and cleanup, but sometimes I still don't seem to have all the files (temp, cookie, etc) cleaned out.  Any suggestions?
Do you remember to close down internet explorer before running CCleaner? Also, IE might not be enough, you might need to close down all programs using an IE HTML rendering control... that could include email applications, and iirc norton/symantec antivirus uses IE HTML control for it's interface too.
- carpe noctem

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I close everything and run ccleaner and cleanup just before I shutdown my pc for the night.

Lynn

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07 AM »
I close everything and run ccleaner and cleanup just before I shutdown my pc for the night.

Lynn

Ditto.... ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I use CCleaner only on a very limited basis. It has failed me in the past, though I usually have sufficient backups to recover. Two main issues I see in it:

First, there is no real Help file. There are some online "Tutorials" by other users, but I would hesitate to call them true tutorials, as they are extremely limited in their scope. The only real source of help is the forum, and that has a lot of less-than-experienced users there, some of whom try to help and may lead some other non-techies astray!

Second is the lack of any option for backing up data before cleaning/removing it.  IMO, "cleaning" applications should offer to back up data before removing it. (Maybe most do - I haven't tried all of them). I have been using jv16 Powertools for a few years and such backups are their default behavior.  However that is a paid application; CCleaner draws a lot of users by virtue of being free, including non-tech types who probably need such a backup option more than most!  While temp folders can usually be deleted without any trouble, deleting registry entries without backing up can be fatal!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35 PM »
- I agree. I have not used my CCleaner for maybe half a year, other than to empty the basket.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:41 PM »
I've used CCleaner and RegSeeker side-by-side for a while now, and have had no troubles except for one time CCleaner really messed with my firefox's ability to parse CSS  :huh:

As soon as Beta settles down, I'll definitely upgrade.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Actually, CCleaner has been out of beta for some months now ;D, and now I think it's safe to use.

Uh, RegSeeker, are you using its registry cleaner or only the temp files removal function?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Don’t get me wrong; I've used CCleaner for a few years with very few problems. However I have had to help people more than a few times who don’t really know much and presume that the default settings are safe. They are not safe in many instances. Someone who doesn’t know very well exactly what they want to clean can definitely get into trouble with it.

A basic, well written Help file would most likely help some users. Then again, some folks just never read them anyway!

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 06:46 PM »
However I have had to help people more than a few times who don’t really know much and presume that the default settings are safe. They are not safe in many instances. Someone who doesn’t know very well exactly what they want to clean can definitely get into trouble with it.

I agree. And the first thing that should be turned off by default, is anything concerning registry clean up.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Lashiec: I use both. I have heard all the warnings about cleaning the registry and I've never been burned so far. I always inspect everything it finds before deleting it, and RegSeeker keeps backups, so it's even safer.