topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Serif DrawPlus 50% Off  (Read 6678 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Serif DrawPlus 50% Off
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:16 PM »
Ok everyone, speaking of great discounts and sales, I found tonight at Serif is selling DrawPlus, an extremely capable graphics program, for 1/2 off for 1 week only. I don't know when the sale began or ends. So, act now if you want it.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Serif DrawPlus 50% Off
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25 PM »
Half Price for DrawPlus 8 is £40 !!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:41 AM »
bummer,
you're not allowed try it out ..
anyone experienced?!
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48 AM »
didnt find the serif website particularly helpful or imformative (!),
here's part of a review from
http://www.pcplus.co...ons/serif_drawplus_8

PDF performance
No self-respecting graphics or DTP program can move up a version these days without being able to produce, and ideally import, PDF files. Here, you can import a PDF file and publish any drawing directly in the same format. We successfully opened a complex test file, with multi-coloured vector elements and text in several fonts, and produced a fully-editable DrawPlus document. Similarly, we took a test page and published it as a PDF file that Adobe Reader 7 had no trouble in displaying.

As well as producing PDF files, DrawPlus is a good candidate for knocking up all kinds of buttons and hotspot objects for web pages. As well as accessing a wide range of pre-drawn shapes and vector clips, available from the Gallery palette, you can create your own objects out of basic shapes, fills, text and bitmaps, then add a rollover mask using the Image Slice tool. You can define different graphics for the various standard rollover states, then export the objects to your web page.

There are many other more minor improvements to DrawPlus’s feature set, such as the enhanced handling of colour. You can now adjust colours in CMYK, RGB or either of two HSL models. Direct AutoCAD import is also provided, including support for the 2006 version, and selection of individual objects within a group is easily achieved by pressing the [CTRL] key.

What DrawPlus does, it does very well, and the redesigned interface makes it much easier to get at tools and apply effects. The brush and texture tools are useful additions to the program, but are little more than catch-up in comparison with the major players in the market. DrawPlus 8 isn’t going to give Corel or Adobe any sleepless nights, but in its target market – at well under £100 – it’s still a versatile drawing program that is quick and easy to use.
Simon Williams                PC Plus Issue 242 - May 2006
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 06:34 PM »
I used it (and PagePlus) many years ago in an earlier version and it was good solid stuff.

The main reasons I ditched it in the end was the awkward activation system and the total barrage of spam they churn out (both via email and snail mail). Once you are on their mailing list it can be very difficult to get off again and they don't just send stuff about related matters - my letterbox was really hammered and my postman treated for a hernia!

Maybe things are better these days - but I won't be buying anything again from them.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:40 PM »
I have the free versions of some of their products http://www.freeserif...ware.com/default.asp which is a few versions older, havent used them much but the price was right  ;)  they havent bombarded me with spam of any type either, maybe they dont think its worth the effort if you dont actually fork out some cash in the first place

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I used it (and PagePlus) many years ago in an earlier version and it was good solid stuff.

The main reasons I ditched it in the end was the awkward activation system and the total barrage of spam they churn out (both via email and snail mail). Once you are on their mailing list it can be very difficult to get off again and they don't just send stuff about related matters - my letterbox was really hammered and my postman treated for a hernia!

Maybe things are better these days - but I won't be buying anything again from them.
-Carol Haynes (July 27, 2007, 06:34 PM)

Er, no. The spam isn't so bad now but the activation system STINKS. If you don't activate a purchased copy you get a nag screen every time you start the app. You have to CALL in to activate. Sure, it's toll free but 1. it took me three months to get through and 2. it's a ploy to subject you to a hard sales pitch for manuals, other Serif software, and third party software.

Software is solid, though...

Catherine

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 10:58 PM »
My experience with Serif's purchased programs ... long story short ... "no more"!

1. The toll-free numbers are not toll-free. I had phone bills for every activation call made. And yes they do take time to put you on hold and then to advertize products targeted to your interests. Contrary to the pop-up activation screen; no the calls are not fast.

2. After doing a reinstallation of the OS; none of their purchased products could simply be reinstalled like everybody else's. I think you have to make all those phone calls again to get new numbers for each and every Serif product. I sent them an email expressing my displeasure at their activation practices.

3. They did not send me any spam ... you could request deletion from their mailing list if you didn't want to read about each week's special offers.