topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automatic Reg Key Backup  (Read 16897 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automatic Reg Key Backup
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Does anybody know of a solution that will backup select registry keys? I used to use a program called RegKeyBackup from MoonSoftware but it seems that they pulled it. Are there any other products out there that can create backup sets for registry keys just like a normal backup program creates file backup sets? Is there a way to do it without software, like through a batch file?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automatic Reg Key Backup
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:26 PM »
You can always just do a registry backup.  They are small and easy.  Just go into regedit and export.  It creates a backup.  Or were you looking for something with more granular control of specific keys for some reason?

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:36 PM »
I like to backup certain reg keys that have configuration data, such as CrapCleaner, Syncback profiles, etc.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:55 PM »
Never mind, I figured it out. I post it here in case anybody else needs to know.

Regkeybackup.cmd
regedit /e "C:\My documents\Registry Settings\BigOven.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SDMVentures\BigOven"
regedit /e "C:\My documents\Registry Settings\Grabit.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Shemes"
regedit /e "C:\My documents\Registry Settings\CrapCleaner.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\CCleaner\Options"
regedit /e "C:\My documents\Registry Settings\MediaCenter.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\J. River\Media Center 12"
regedit /e "C:\My documents\Registry Settings\Syncback.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\2BrightSparks\SyncBackSE"

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:42 PM »
Yeah, something that you could choose keys and then export into single keys or even one merged key would be great.

If anyone knows of something like this, please post it here. I actually know of a small tool for merging keys, but nothing that would let you select certain keys that one would regularly like to back up. Does anyone know of a back up utility that does this? I use Second Copy and I'm sure it can't do this.

Hmm...can't find a link to that Reg file tool. It was originally on this site. I'll attach it here.

RegMerge.png
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:46 PM by Nighted »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:52 PM »
another choice for you: Camtech's RegKey Backup

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00 PM »
Hmm...I already had exactly what I was looking for!

I think it was Skrommel that posted the link (it's on Moon Software's server, but there is no link) It's somewhere on this forum but my search didn't get results so here it is and a screen shot.

*oh crap, this is what edbro was talking about. I left a post at the Moon Softare forum asking where the link went. Anyway, here it is.  :)

RegistryKeyBackup.png
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:03 PM by Nighted »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:06 PM »
here is the thread that you were referring to, Nighted.. :)

https://www.donation...91.msg28592#msg28592

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 11:11 PM »
Hmm....I searched for both registry key backup and then www.moonsoftware.com and got nothing on each query....STRANGE!!!!  :tellme:

Anyway, looks like that link is dead. Good thing I had it stashed away.  :Thmbsup:

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 04:13 AM »
? I never actually back up registry keys prior to reinstall. do you think it is a useful practice?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:05 AM by justice »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 07:56 AM »
Nighted,
Thank you. That was what I was looking for. I wonder why Moonsoftware pulled it? It is a great little utility.

Plasma Man

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Some other options ... (not necessarily auto)

ERUNT and NTREGOPT
http://www.larsheder...e.t-online.de/erunt/

Fab and simple tools. @ Detailed Information - there's a very good explanation of the registry, it's (de)evolution etc (the bane of our virtual lives)

Registry Workshop and JV16 are more advanced reg edit tools with various export and backup options. Both are excellent.

http://www.torchsoft.../rw_information.html
http://www.macecraft.../jv16powertools2007/

Andre

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 02:07 PM »
Ok, Moon Software's reply to my asking where it went is this:

The program is currently discontinued as it is not properly compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista (does not copy some types of registry keys). You can use it on Windows 9x. The file can be found at http://www.moonsoftw...re.com/files/Legacy/
Ahto

So, anyway, that is why it disappeared I guess. Regarding Registry Workshop, I use it often and it has a great favourites feature. I think I'll contact the author and request an export of the favourites to individual or merged keys.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Ok, Moon Software's reply to my asking where it went is this:

The program is currently discontinued as it is not properly compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista (does not copy some types of registry keys). You can use it on Windows 9x. The file can be found at http://www.moonsoftw...re.com/files/Legacy/
Ahto

So, anyway, that is why it disappeared I guess. Regarding Registry Workshop, I use it often and it has a great favourites feature. I think I'll contact the author and request an export of the favourites to individual or merged keys.

Maybe so, but it seems to be saving all the ones I want saved. So far, so good!

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 04:55 PM »
justice, if you format your hard drive often, enjoy that new OS freshness, and don't want to spend hours setting installed programs back to the way you had them, then yes, it's worth it.

edbro, I haven't found a key it won't back up yet either. I emailed Torchsoft and requested such a feature for Registry Workshop. Maybe if he should get some more email requesting the same? ;)

mikiem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 11:37 AM »
@justice
If someone doesn't want to go the reg backup routes posted, creating a new restore point will back up the registry for you. Has it's quirks, but for me over the years has worked far, far more times than it hasn't, & can be quicker to use going back.  :) ERUNT's my new fav in Vista as my dual boot setup destroys Vista restore points.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 12:46 PM »
There are lots of ways to backup the registry. But, that's not the same as backing up individual reg keys. I backup individual keys to save program registrations and preferences. Some of my programs require online activation; it is not as easy as just entering a code. (J.River Media Center for example). Plus, I can transfer my settings to another machine easily.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 12:53 PM »
So which registry keys are good ones to back up? Is there a guide related to backing up registry keys for reinstallation of the OS? HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\?

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 01:40 PM »
So which registry keys are good ones to back up?
Depends on your individual software and which ones have preferences you want to save. Personally, I save:
- CrapCleaner preferences
- My DonationCoder Regkey
- J.River Media Center registration and preferences
- Several more, but you get the idea.

Some programs save data in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. Some save data in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. And lots save in both places.

A good way to see just what gets written to the registry during an install is to use TotalUninstall. That will record changes to the registry from an install and ensures that all gets erased after an uninstall.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Basically any program that stores it's setting in the registry is good to backup, especially those that take a while to get just the way you want it setup.

Not all programs put their settings in the registry though, more are using or have the option to store settings in a local INI file. Still others will store all your settings in your user Application Data directory, or sometimes, depending on the program in the All Users Application Data directory (in XP anyway).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 01:13 AM »
on another note, you could also go for apps that have portable version so that you can transfer programs just by copying over to the new PC..

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 02:19 AM »
Yes, and then you could have a separate directory for your portable files so you can quickly back them up when formatting or moving them to a flash drive/other PC.

sshot-1.png

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Hopefully, that is the way of the future. For most of my favorite apps I know there is a strong push from support forum members for portability. Several apps I know of are looking towards moving to ini or xml settings files instead of reliance on the registry.

Plus, if you monitor www.portablefreeware.com, you will find that there are quite a few apps that appear to need an installation but in fact can be extracted and run portably.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Universal Extractor is a very good program that allows you to extract files from installation programs.

Universal Extractor allows you to extract files from many types of archive files, including ZIP, ARJ, LZH, MSI, EXE created using various installer packages such as Wise and Inno Setup etc. It is great for testing apps for portability because you can extract files directly from installer packages without having to go through the installation process.

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=6250.0

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 12:45 PM »
I know that Winalysis will allow you to do this, but it is shareware and offers a LOT more functionality (options to create image files of your disks, monitor for changes, etc.). I used this extensively under Win2k (when I was coveting ME and XP's sysrestore feature - this is WAY more powerful/configureable and I should probably use it under XP but have moved on to TrueImage and GenieBackUpManager Pro) and had no negative experiences with it. Note that you can monitor remote computers as well.

Here's a bit from the helpfile about monitoring/backing up registry keys:

Include or Exclude a Registry Key
Use this dialog to select a registry key to include or exclude. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_USERS and type in the key name. The key must exist on the target machine.

Include Subkey

Include the selected key and all keys and values below it.

Track Security Descriptors

Registry keys on Windows XP/NT/2000 have Security Descriptors that define an owner, group, DACL and SACL for the object. The DACL defines who can do what with the object. The SACL defines auditing settings for the object. There are also a number of attributes in security descriptors that control things like inheritance. Tracking Security Descriptors does not significantly slow down the program because the system will have the information in memory already.