topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How can I save a Quicktime Movie I watch on the internet to my computer  (Read 26454 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I would like to be able to watch a Quicktime movie off line.

How can I save the Quicktime movie to my computer without having to upgrade to Quicktime Pro just to save the file.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The movie is usually saved in your internet cache folder (location depends on the browser you are using - check the browser preferences to find out where) and will have a .MOV extension.

Just copy the movie to where you want to store it (otherwise it might be deleted from the cache, and depending on your browser settings may be re-downloaded next time you visit that link).

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can also use Mouser's very cool "URL Snooper" to find out the web address of the source file.
Screenshot - 6_18_2007 , 1_38_28 PM.png

With URL Snooper and a little bit of leg work you can download all kinds of stuff you're not suppose to!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
patteo, When it comes to downloading videos it will be a lot easier just to install Firefox and i.e. DownloadHelper. It is sooo easy!

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Carol, Hirudin, Curt for the ideas.

And by the way, I just found out that with Skrommel's Cachesort, the downloaded mov will be automatically extracted out. But you have to be using Internet Explorer 7 (Certainly wish there was a option for Firefox as I rarely use IE7 - somehow it tends to hang on me)

1 Hour Software by Skrommel - DonationCoder.com
"CacheSort v1.1

Automatically move files from Internet Explorer's cache into folders based on the files' extensions.

Features:
- Very handy for storing movies and other files downloaded from the Internet.
- Can be used to watch other folders.
- Only move files bigger than a given value.
- Run a program when a new file is found.
- Move or copy files.

Changes:
- 2005.11.23 - v1.1: Added option to copy or move files.
"
https://www.donation...index.html#CacheSort

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had forgotten about CacheSort - I seem to remember you can easily change the folder it sorts - so you could point it to the Firefox cache if you want to use firefox. I can't remember if you need to download the source code and recompile it with AHK or if there is a setting in the INI file.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Carol beat me, but I'll post anyway.

"Can be used to watch other folders."

Maybe you can set it up to watch the Firefox cache dir?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CacheViewer 0.4.3, view and save from Firefox cache: https://addons.mozil...a/firefox/addon/2489

(Firefox) DownloadHelper, save videos from 'net: https://addons.mozil...a/firefox/addon/3006
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:55 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
patteo; you really should punk Skrommel to add this option for Firefox / other browsers  as well, because we have been waiting for more than half a year by now for Skrommel to fulfil his promise:

I'll look into making it support multiple sources.

Skrommel

Go for it, patteo, go!  :up:

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the DownloadHelper info Curt. Finally an easy way to grab flash in FireFox. Better than any other plugin I've tried.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You are welcome, Nighted :-)
They are doing a fine job on making DownloadHelper universal, but there are still minor sites it cannot handle. Yet. If you wanna be even more able to save movies, even streaming ones, you might want to take a look at the $40 Replay Media Catcher - spoken of at  http://www.downloadhelper.net/applian-replay-media-catcher.php

But I have so far been waiting for a chance to have it a lot cheaper...
- can / will mouser look into this?  :tellme:

[Edit: On second thought:
I don't think I will recommend this app in spite of what I just wrote, as it merely saves .FLV and .MP3 files only.]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:42 PM by Curt »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
The new Free Download Manager let's you do this also, except it's list of supported sites is no where near as extensive as that included with DownloadHelper.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FreewareGenius has just been updated:

Orbit Downloader is a download manager and accelerator that can download files from any remote server via HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, RTSP, MMS and Metalink protocols. It will detect and download flash files (including FLV video files) from any site, including YouTube. Used with its Grab++ module, it can download streaming media of any kind, including MP3s from sites such as Pandora, Myspace, Imeem, or Hypemachine, etc.

Here is a quick summary of what this program can do for you:

Accelerate download speeds: Speed increases will vary, depending on the source(s) from which you are downloading, your internet registry settings, and the program settings.

Pause and resume downloads: this feature can be a godsend when you are downloading a large file or downloading from an unreliable source (or both).

Detects and downloads flash video: simply mousing over a flash video or flash file (FLV or SWF) will display a small download button for instant video downloads.

Detects and downloads streaming media: the Grab++ module will scan for anything that is being played in your browser, whether it is an audio, video, or flash, and autodetect the download link (only caveat: Grab++ has to be run before the media file is played). This is (a) unbelievably cool, and (b) reason enough for me to switch from Flashget, hitherto my favorite downloader, to Orbit Downloader. Will download WMV and RM streaming video.

Can download from file upload sites such as Rapidshare: you will have to manually enter the security code that these sites requrire, but Orbit Downloader will automatically detect and download the URL. (Services mentioned in the documentation: Rapdishare, Megaupload, Yousendit, and SendSpace).

Download scheduling: if you have a lot of files to download, you can use Orbit Downloader to grab all the URLs and download them at an appropriate time. I’ve never personally used this but I can imagine it can be useful if you have dialup or a slow connection.

"Light and resource friendly", according to the official website, with a footprint of less than 3 megs of memory. The Grab++ module adds another 11 megs though, but I suppose it can be only launched when needed.

The Flashget connection: Orbit looks like Flashget and copies a number of elements, including the optional clipboard and browser monitoring and optional drop zone. Thankfully, it doesn’t foray into Torrent downloading, as Flashget did (a good thing since these programs in general cannot hold a candle to some of the powerful Torrent programs out there such as uTorrent, Azureus, and others).

The Verdict: I love this program. It came out of nowhere to become my download manager of choice. I will also say that the Grab++ module is a must. Highly recommended

Sounds VERY promising!   :)
http://www.orbitdownloader.com/index.htm

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the DownloadHelper info Curt. Finally an easy way to grab flash in FireFox. Better than any other plugin I've tried.

Have you tried UnPlug?  If so, why do you say DownloadHelper is better?  I have never used DownloadHelper as UnPlug has always worked well for me, but if there is something better, I can give it a try.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:49 PM by steeladept »

chris12923

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can use tubehunter ultra at http://www.neoretix.com .  This thing is amazing.  He will even add sites if for some reason it doesn't capture them.  I have yet to find a site that it wont capture.  Also you get lifetime upgrade/update with purchase.  Support within 2 hours everytime I email which was only 2 times and he customized another part of the program for me.  It also convert to many other formats as well.  Any questions you can ask me or mail him.

Thanks,

Chris

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I followed Chris' link to the $30 Tubehunter Ultra, and I realize it must be an excellent app. It may be the kind of app one otherwise never will discover because of the targeted kind of klients - the supported sites listed are quite a sleazy collection - but the resulting app seems to be very fine!

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm using Slimbrowser (IE frontend) but for saving media from fun sites I'm using Firefox with following extensions:

CacheViewer
Clear Cache Button
Download Statusbar
Unplug

UnPlug is a great extension. It allows me to download most media from sites (Youtube, Metacafe, Break, ebaumsworld ...).

CacheViewer allows me to see the cache, sort it (size), preview and save (for the few media sites UnPlug fails). Useful with the "Clear Cache Button" extension.

Download Statusbar, so I don't see this stupid download window.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser's Url Snooper works fine for these types of jobs ;)
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

bugis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you use QT Alternative, then it gives you an option to download the file (among other options). This works for only HD movies (such as the trailers on the QT site), but it works fine.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Firefox add-on Greasemonkey ( https://addons.mozil...US/firefox/addon/748 ) can handle scripts for downloading stuff from specific sites. For example, I use the "Apple Trailer Download" script ( http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2484 ). It creates a handy download menu when browsing specific pages on http://www.apple.com/trailers . It lets you download the HD trailers too.
apple.png

Two more general tools for sorting through your web traffic and finding URLs to source video files: http://www.ieinspector.com/httpanalyzer/ (for IE) and http://www.getfirebug.com/ (for FF).

In general, online video files are usually "two or three files away". That is, if you right click the video link on the homepage and save it, you only get a textfile. That file contains another URL (or a script that makes one). That second URL leads to the video source file (alternatively to another textfile which in turn has the video file direct URL).

Also, some time ago I hacked together a weird webapp of sorts that uses some http://yubnub.org/ commands to speed up the manual process of saving files from Apple Trailers without installing any apps or scripts. The same tools can be used to save almost any online video. Check it out here (the instructions in the first subwindow are very brief but should be possible to understand I think):

[edit: removed URL since no longer working /nod5]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:26 AM by Nod5 »

chris12923

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I posted earlier about tubehunter ultra.  Anyone reading do not purchase it until I post back here.  The tech support was great as I mentioned before but now I have sent 2 mails to the author and he has not responded for days and they are suppoed to reply within 8 hours.  I'll let you know when/if I find out whats going on.

Thanks,

Chris

chris12923

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have formally requested a refund for tubehunter ultra.  If the support gets better I would gladly purchase again because it is a great program but there are some small hooking issues that need addressed.  Like for example the bat! email client crashes.

Thanks,

Chris