topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox Bookmark tool to tag/index/search FAST?  (Read 10993 times)

222fbj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox Bookmark tool to tag/index/search FAST?
« on: June 12, 2007, 08:48 PM »
I have a lot of bookmarks...and cannot keep them organized.  I think what I need is a way to index them so I can start typing ... and a tool (TBD) will bring up matching URLS, keys, descriptions. etc.   I know this is what Firefox does...but it just seems slow... and I'm thinking a dedicated tool would be better at the task. 

Anyone have suggestions?  I am going to try using Locate32 (http://locate32.webhop.org/) which I already run for local search...it has text search... but seems like there ought to be some product that is designed to  edit/index and search bookmarks very quickly.

thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Bookmark tool to tag/index/search FAST?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 09:02 PM »
FARR v2 now comes with a pre-installed firefox bookmark searching plugin (also searches IE and Opera bookmarks):
see https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7919.0  just type and go.

ps. it doesnt yet search special firefox bookmark keywords but i'll be adding that asap.

Screenshot - 6_12_2007 , 9_04_03 PM.png

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 03:24 AM »
I have a lot of bookmarks...and cannot keep them organized.  I think what I need is a way to index them so I can start typing ... and a tool (TBD) will bring up matching URLS, keys, descriptions. etc.

If you only use one computer, then FARR  :)  If you want portability, or more features like built-in passwords, you might take a look at LinkStash.  New version due soon...

EDIT (19th July 2007):
LinkStash version 1.7.3 now out.  You need administrative rights to install it.  The proposed version 2.0 will be portable and encryptable.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:44 AM by rjbull »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:08 PM »
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:44 PM »
Open-source BookmarkBridge is quite popular.. It is a multi-platform, GUI-based utility that allows user to share bookmarks between all their browsers..

ws-view_bookmarks.png
http://bookmarkbridg...forge.net/index.html

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 12:22 AM »
Close to what you asked for, and very useful if you use lots of different browsers is miTaggedMarks (formerly bookkey).

It stores the bookmarks in its own XML file, and has a neat way of assigning and locating tags by point-and-click.

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:25 AM by JennyB »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 07:23 AM »
Open-source BookmarkBridge is quite popular.. It is a multi-platform, GUI-based utility that allows user to share bookmarks between all their browsers..

[ Invalid Attachment ]
http://bookmarkbridg...forge.net/index.html

Thanks for the tip lanux128, i had never heard of this one before. Free!
I had purchased Check and Get but that was before i was a little more computer literate.
When i found out it used so much of my computers resources i kind of drop it all together.

K-Meleon is very quick at finding your bookmarks. Much better than Firefox but i prefer the later for extensions and themes. Copernic Desktop Search is another option to search bookmarks.

Change

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 10:25 AM »
You could also consider the myurlbar_a extension:
Changes the url bar to allow typing of names instead of addresses. Priority is as follows: bookmarks names, history names, history urls.

It really is a shame though that it's not being developed anymore:
Lev's homepage (developer myurlbar_a).

draurora

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Hi,

I use this program, on occassion:
http://www.zchromosome.com/

Guillotine is a FREE and lightweight Windows utility that allows you to quickly and naturally access items you commonly (and uncommonly) use like programs, bookmarks, contacts, and web searches. The idea is to find things quickly just by typing a few keys, selecting your item, and going on your merry way. It's much more intuitive than hunting down those items as you normally would. It may take a while to break your old habits, but once you do, you'll see how much more intuitive it is to your normal workflow.

The FARR screenshot above is pretty similar to how this program works, but you don't need any "extra commands"...actually, I am going to try FARR to check it out, as I am sure it does more than Guillotine...

HTH,
-D

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 05:36 PM »
I have a lot of bookmarks...and cannot keep them organized.  I think what I need is a way to index them so I can start typing ... and a tool (TBD) will bring up matching URLS, keys, descriptions. etc.   I know this is what Firefox does...but it just seems slow... and I'm thinking a dedicated tool would be better at the task. 

Anyone have suggestions?  I am going to try using Locate32 (http://locate32.webhop.org/) which I already run for local search...it has text search... but seems like there ought to be some product that is designed to  edit/index and search bookmarks very quickly.

thanks

If you have thousands of bookmarks you may want to look into del.icio.us
There's a Firefox plugin that works almost as fast as the browsers' already quick search feature.
There's one thing i like about saving to Firefox, with Deadlink freeware program http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm you can check the validity of your bookmarks and download the favicons.

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
  • Train to become GTD Master
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I use del.icio.us :)
nXqd
KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Hardware ASUS K8N |AMD 2800+@2,6 with WC| Ram Kingmax 512@235 2-4-4-11
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin
Sites Y!Blog | Facebook | Tumblog | Last.fm