topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommend Vista CD Burner  (Read 26086 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommend Vista CD Burner
« on: June 10, 2007, 07:36 PM »
Can somebody please recommend to me a good CD/DVD burning program that is Vista compatible? I currently have Nero 6 on my XP Pro but I will be loading Vista Business next week and I know that Nero 6 is not compatible. I'm not really sure that I want to pay another $50 to upgrade to ver 7. Does anybody know of any good freeware burning programs that are Vista compat?

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend Vista CD Burner
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:09 PM »
Check out ImgBurn! It's the shiz-night!
It's a little complicated to learn, and not the most convenient to burn individual files (select Mode -> Build, then click the "Switch to device output" button.).
Screenshot - 6_10_2007 , 10_04_41 PM.png

If you're looking for something closer to Nero, check out InfraRecorder, I haven't personally burned a disc with it yet (ImgBurn has been enough so far), but a lot of people like it.

The super cool bonus with both of these programs is that they are both donationware!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:08 AM »
AShampoo Burning Studio 7 is Vista compatible and is very good (a number of us here have adopted it to get rid of the Nero bloat):

see http://www.ashampoo....=2&idstring=1110

It is very easy to use.

for details but use these offer links if you want to buy:

https://www.donation...51.msg61595#msg61595

I just tried them and they still work - currently the offer is $19.99 but it seems to change regularly.

AShampoo has the key feature of being able to verify your disc - which I personally find essential and is one of the reasons I stuck with Nero so long. Too many burning apps omit this feature (and IMHO makes them useless).

Actually I just noticed Burning Studio 6 is Vista compatible too and that is available for free on some magazine disks. Maybe some kind person (Grorgy) could tell you which mag and edition. It was mention in this thread. Trouble is that free versions don't often come with updates and it may be pre-Vista (I had version 5 on that basis). If you are going to buy a copy then version 7 is the same price at the discounted price.

For basic burning purposes ImgBurn (mentioned above) is great - but it isn't good for building DVDs, compiling disk contents can be a bit complex and it doesn't support CD ripping. It does have a verify function though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:21 AM by Carol Haynes »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:28 AM »
It was on the disk from Australian PC User June 2007

[Edit ... added link to Australian PC User, Carol. Note June 2007 is current issue, they only seem to stock back issues for 2006 ???]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:53 AM by Carol Haynes »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:04 AM »
Thanks guys, I just bought Burning Studio 7.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 07:04 AM »
I'm a fan of ImgBurn, but it's only really good if you're burning ready-made ISOs, or need to fill up an entire DVD. Iirc it doesn't support multi-session, it doesn't have the most friendly "build image" etc., but that's not what it was designed for anyway.

For more friendly building, I usually use DeepBurner, since it's free :)

I used to be a fan of Nero, but they added so much crap in the recent versions.
- carpe noctem

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:07 AM »
I used to be a fan of Nero, but they added so much crap in the recent versions.

Ditto. ImgBurn user here.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Todd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:32 AM »
I have been using CDBurnerXP Pro.  Found at http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ and the price is way right!

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:37 PM »
I'm really late to this thread but I'd like to suggest a light but powerful app called Complex Evolution. As a refugee from the totally bloated Nero I wanted something to run on Vista and XP that just burned disks... and then some!

Anyway - Complex Evolution (kind of cool name!) retails at £29.95 and does this:

• burn data cd and dvd from files and folders
  • burn data cd and dvd from iso image files
  • burn data cd and dvd in UDF format
  • burn multisession cd and dvd discs
  • create and burn bootable cd and dvd discs
  • burn data cd and dvd discs from Alcohol mds image files
  • erase rewritable cd and dvd discs
  • burn audio cd discs with from wav, mp3, wma and ogg files
  • burn audio cd with cd-text
  • burn dvd video discs from dvd media content of higher compatibility with hardware dvd players
  • burn VideoCD and SuperVideoCD discs
  • verify cd and dvd discs after burning
  • copy data, audio, video cd and dvd discs
  • raw cd copying
  • create iso image files both from files, folders, cd and dvd drives and dvd media content
  • create Alcohol mds image files from cd and dvd discs
  • rip audio files from audio cd
  • save track (one or more) from cd/dvd disc
  • burn cd and dvd discs without administrative rights under 2000/XP/Vista with our StarOpen driver. This driver provides CD/DVD access for any user regardless of Security Policies.

It's also quite pretty to look at, and works!

http://www.complexnt.com/

Nikson!

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 01:07 AM »
It depends on what features you are looking for. Basic burning and ISO capabilities? Or something else. I would recommend looking for a good program like Audio CD Burner Studio that supports Vista. As for me I use my burning software with only one purpose - to burn only mp3, wav and wma files to audio cd. And this program satisfied me a hundred percent. Because it's very easy to use, handy and writes files quickly.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I used CDR-Win for years, but it wasn't cooperating real well back when I made the switch to x64. Someone on a forum mentioned ImgBurn & I've used it ever since. ImgBurn does everything I want it to do and is small, fast, and is easy to use. I don't care about multisession disks as they tend to be speed sensitive, unstable, pains in the neck unless you're only planning to use them on the machine they were burned on.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Actually I just noticed Burning Studio 6 is Vista compatible too and that is available for free on some magazine disks. Maybe some kind person (Grorgy) could tell you which mag and edition.
-Carol Haynes (June 11, 2007, 04:08 AM)

No Magazine disk needed: http://download.cnet...2646_4-10776287.html

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I use two programs.
ImgBurn for data and Burrrn for music. Technically recent versions of ImgBurn will burn audio CD's, but it's complicated; you have to build a CUE sheet first. Burrrn ONLY makes audio CD's, which I think is nice: no accidentally burning data cds full of random audio files.
Burrrn is a little tool for creating audio CDs with CD-Text from various audio files.
Supported formats are: wav, mp3, mpc, ogg, aac, mp4, ape, flac, ofr, wv, tta, m3u, pls and fpl playlists and cue sheets. You can also burn EAC’s noncompliant image + cue sheets! Burrrn can read all types of tags from all these formats (including ape tags in mp3). Burrrn uses cdrdao.exe for burning.

Cheers,
Eric

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Seconded on the suggestion for Imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/ for data and .iso if you're looking for freeware. Burning Studio 6 is free, and like Imgburn, works on Vista. (Thanks to Carol Haynes and mwb1100 for the link) As mentioned, it's a better choice for music. Burning Studio 8 is the current version, and it does all of that very well, imho. There's a 30-day trial of the full version. It's cheaper than Nero and is free of the bloat of the later versions of Nero.
If you want to save $20US, check out Burning Studio 7 which is still available, although not featured on the home page.

Studio 8
http://www2.ashampoo...uct_2_1810___USD.htm

Studio 7
(Hit the "next" arrow at the bottom of the Studio 8 page.) Trial of this version is allowed. Both will need registration for free trial keys.

hth
2 penny Ron
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 04:35 PM »
For Audio CD both burrrn and CDBurnerXP are nice.  Both have built in support for .flac files.  Even though burrrn is a bit dated, it works on Vista 32 bit. The only "bug" I noticed is in the scrolling log.  In Vista the log has double entries for each operation.  But the burns come out fine.. at least on my hardware.