topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: teracopy: copy your files faster  (Read 119676 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: teracopy: copy your files faster
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Ha ha... I was thinking of you as I wrote my previous post, Nighted. One more reason not to reinstall it!

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 02:46 PM »
 heheh :Thmbsup:
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 10:00 PM »
If you all have extra money lying around, I'll give you a phone number to call. When the lady answers, get out your credit card and have a case of beer sent to my address.
  ;D ;D ;D

also, you might want to try the alternatives mentioned above.. :)

picecinmind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 12:04 AM »
I recommand another application: killcopy
I copy 490 files (1.5 GB) with variable size within the same harddrive.
total commander (defualt): 9 min 9 sec.
windows: 9 min 28 sec.
killcopy: 8 min 59 sec.
Moreover, it can use it with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V as usual. Unicode supported.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 04:11 AM »
 :-\ Hereeeee we go again! Another software I'll just _have_ to try out. Don't you people realise a lot of this board's members are severely afflicted with OCD? Be gentle!

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 07:56 AM »
What about Fastcopy: http://www.ipmsg.org...ols/fastcopy.html.en 
Does anyone have experience with it?

benchmark I've found with google:
http://64.233.179.10.../Nelson/post/4777238
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:23 AM by elpresi »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 11:13 AM »
:-\ Hereeeee we go again! Another software I'll just _have_ to try out. Don't you people realise a lot of this board's members are severely afflicted with OCD? Be gentle!

;D That was pretty much my reaction as well - gotta try it!

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 01:10 PM »
There's a new Super Copier out btw. Super Copier 2 Beta 1.9.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Great. See my post immediately before yours! Madness... Actually, I am quite keen to try both of them and will download now.

Thanks for letting us know, Nighted.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Quick Synopsis:

TeraCopy =  :mad: I'd rather eat broken glass. Costs money. Non existent customer support.

KillCopy =  :down: Too unstable, using the context menu crashed explorer several times. It would not keep changed settings. Some skins make my eyes bleed.

FastCopy =  :-\ Not bad at all, very light. Excellent for copying a disc to your hard drive (great if you use nLite lots). Tons of command switches, and source code available. Shows really detailed info in the dialog. Automatically saves used paths. Has no move function in context menu, but instead a delete feature. No system hooks.

SuperCopier =  :Thmbsup: Most features, mature application. New revision fixes a few things from the previous release. Seemlessly replaces Windows copy system. You can now set it to retain attributes of moved files but if you have attributes set on a folder they'll still be stripped.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 03:01 PM »
TeraCopy =   I'd rather eat broken glass.

ROFLMAO

Incidentally, when I was a teen there was a teen club in town that I went to once or twice. While there I witnessed a hockey player eat a glass ashtray. I've never known what compelled him to do it, but he didn't seem to come to any harm (sadly - he was a jerk. Did I just write that?) and it shows that this can be done!

vivy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 03:08 PM »
did teracopy something bad to you? I can understand why are you talking about teracopy like it is a bad application. If the support is poor, is this make a software bad? Or is this a reason to search alternative application for you?

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Yes, bad support makes bad software. Why you ask? Because the developer works for that poor sucker like you and I who pay to put food in his/her stomach so he/she can continue to function on a daily basis. I don't have an unlimited budget for software (unlike some people here seem to).

A good developer fixes things that you tell them is wrong with their software. A good developer thanks you for reporting these things so that his/her software can be improved thus making the customer happy in addition to attracting new customers.

I bought 2 programs from this guy.

Audio Sliders, which I no longer even bother to use because it interferes with full screen applications. I got so tired of having to exit the program and then start it again every time that I just gave up on using it. I reported this like a good little end user only to be ignored.

Direct Folders, which introduced some funky behavior in the 3.21 release. It's actually pretty stupid. I tried to contact again to report and have the previous version sent to me. I had to get someone from these forums to send me the previous version. If not for that, I would have ceased using this software too. I tried several times to get answers. It's been over 6 months from my first attempt and nothing.

He does not care about my experience, only my money. So F|_|(|{ Code Sector!!!!!

I hope this makes my stance against Code Sector a bit clearer.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:00 PM by Nighted »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 03:49 PM »
I'm not trying to defend Teracopy, I've removed it myself. But, you seem a bit harsh for software that is free for home use. Maybe you paid for it to use in a corp environment, if so, then you have a right to better support. Most of us here are probably home users though. I look at all freeware programs as gifts from the author and I feel fortunate to get them despite what imperfections they might have.

I'll have to give SuperCopier a look when I get home tonight. My work firewall has blocked access to that site. Can anybody tell me if it is Vista compatible?

Edit:
It looks like you amended your post to add that you paid for their software. Then you are correct, you have a right to complain.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 03:52 PM »
Oh, I'll bitch and moan about it every opportunity I get. If I can lose this guy a few customers, great!!!  :Thmbsup:

And by the way, Code Sector software is NOT freeware. It is not free for home use. It is shareware and it is limited in it's trial state.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:05 PM by Nighted »

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Oops.  :'(

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Just a note, supercopier sent Kaspersky internet suite into a frenzy, reports intrusions everywhere, after you uninstall does the same thing (in reverse i spose since its now gone) , so if you really want it, be prepared for a bit of noise lol 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 04:04 PM »
Nighted is not alone in not being able to get support for problems that he has with DirectFolders. It's certainly enough to make one think hard before considering installing even a freebie from its developer - what if you have an issue directly related to TeraCopy? You've not even paid for the app and there's a demonstrated lack of support for paying customers! Thus, it's not likely that you'd get any help solving whatever problem you had and it might cost you a lot of time and possibly even cold cash to fix it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Despite my earlier post about "having" to try one or more of these suggestions out, I'm going to pass. I don't actually need this functionality often enough to warrant making an effort to find an app to help me do this. Famous last words, though, right?!

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 04:31 PM »
You'll be wishing you had one of these saved somewhere if you ever need to back up a hard drive or something. It may even be YOUR hard drive that you need to backup on another machine! I think FastCopy would be perfect for that because you don't really need to install it, you could just run it from a flash drive.

I've had to back up a large drive before and it can take an excruciatingly long time! Especially when you have very important data on that drive that you are worried about corrupting. It would be nice to know that you can pause it if needed and still have the peace of mind knowing that everything will be transferred intact. FastCopy is going on my portable right now!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:39 PM by Nighted »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 04:59 PM »
OK nighted, you've talked me into it. Actually, I had to copy over 30GB of files last month when I upgraded my harddrive, but all went smoothly and I don't even remember it taking too long, but then I probably left it running while I took the kids to the park or something...

vivy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 09:55 PM »
You are right to rate a software with support, performance etc...
But you are not talking about software performance..
I am a new user and you dont say anything about program.. Is it a bad software? Does it cause system unstability or data lost? These are more important  for me.

You say "If I can lose this guy a few customers, great!!!"

This is not a good behaviour, this is not like a review or rating. You can critizie support but you cant blame a software because of this.

I am a new user but nobody told me that this software is not good because it is unstable etc..

I shouldnt use this software because you didnt get any support? Do you think i wouldnt get any response in Future.

Here is a benchmark result.

https://www.donation...52.msg64154#msg64154

I should use teracopy after i read this benchmark.

And here is the connection possibilities

http://www.codesector.com/support.asp

If a coder doesnt want to give support why he should list all instant messenger addresses?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:02 PM by vivy »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 11:15 PM »
The best support I've got in all these years of using software is via web search engines, newsgroups and forums like this one. Incidentally, I wanted to direct the Tearcopy guys to this thread where I've pointed out what could be a bug. Their 'submit a bug' link took me to a login page. I'm sick and tired of going through the rigmarole of registering and logging in on sites unless it's absolutely necessary & gave up right there. Some blogs even make you check your mail & validate links to post a single comment... wtf!!   

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 12:34 AM »
vivy - I appreciate what you're trying to say, but I think you need to consider that software is not just about the code and how it functions on your machine. Support and the licence are vital to the overall utility of the software. One of my favourite DC quotes comes from Scott, who is not as active here as he once was, when he said that shitty software with a great licence is still shitty software. We can extrapolate from this and state also that a good piece of software with a shitty licence is diminished because of its licence. I'd add that support is the third component in this...

I shouldnt use this software because you didnt get any support? Do you think i wouldnt get any response in Future.

Er, um, yes! Check out this link, which I've already pointed you to, and you'll see that at least one other person gave up on getting support.

I am a new user but nobody told me that this software is not good because it is unstable etc..

Go back and re-read the thread and you'll see that a number of problems have been reported with it here. I reported one relating to explorer.exe ramping up resource use. I note in the original post and a followup that I cannot be absolutely sure that this was caused by TeraCopy but do note that the behaviour disappeared immediately following its removal.

If a coder doesnt want to give support why he should list all instant messenger addresses?

I think that that is precisely what Nighted is wondering as well... He, and others, have tried to contact the developer using these addresses and have not received any form of reply whatsoever.

I don't have an axe to grind with Codesector and have not had the negative experiences with them that others have had. However, when I consider purchasing a piece of shareware, these are exactly the kinds of user experiences that I take into account when making a decision. If I can't rely on the developer to stand by and support the app after I've paid for it, I'm not going to making a purchase. There's no reason not to apply the same due diligence to freeware and open source applications (and in fact there is EVERY reason to apply the same due diliegence to ANYTHING that you are considering running on your computer).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 06:09 AM »
I think vivy made a good point not to forget: If the program is working well, who cares if there is any support? Don't overinterpret my words, please; this is no defense for Codesector - I too was disappointed with DirectFolders, but have not tried the copy thingest.

However: thanks to Giveawayoftheday I have Silent Copy - I guess some will never try it because it is $15, here it is even $20 - but I had it for free. (I like this GOTD site, but of course some offers really doesn't matter.)

When you copy a lot of files the total system performance goes down and use of applications becomes inconvenient. It happens that Windows gives almost all resources of hard drive to the copying process and all applications must be waiting for the end of the action.

Silent Copy allows you to copy your files not diminishing system performance. It moves data and distributes resources of your drives between running applications at the same time. Silent Copy allows you to set a priority to the process and control speed of the copying.
-Silent Copy

I have no intention of benchmarking it; "can't somebody else do it", as Homer would say.

SilentCopy.jpg