topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bits du jour/UltraRecall discount approx 60%  (Read 13332 times)

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bits du jour/UltraRecall discount approx 60%
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:13 AM »
Bits du Jour discount for today 15 May is UltraRecall.  Standard version is reduced from $49.00 to $19.00 and Pro version from $99.00 to $39.00.

UltraRecall is a sophisticated note taking and document/image/webpage database with a tonne of functionality and power.  I recommend it and the above discounts are really substantial.  It has only recently been upgraded to Version 3.  If I didn't already have it I would be jumping up and down for joy.

www.kinook.com or www.ultrarecall.com

Regards,

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 09:15 AM by JeffK »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bits du jour/UltraRecall discount approx 60%
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Hmmm, that's tempting. You are obviously a user and fan, can you tell me what this offers more than Evernote does for free? From the screenshots I do like the layout of UR better.

Do you keep all your docs and info in a single database? Are there any limitations on database size?

I realize there is already a multi-page thread on document management here in the DC forums. My problem is that I have tried many different doc managment solutions from Keynote, to individual files indexed with a desktop search engine, to Evernote. I'm always looking for something better but sooner or later I need to just settle on something and be done with it.

I see that the Pro version says it is USB capable. Are there any limitations to running it off a USB drive? Is it truly portable, not relying on the host machine's registry?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Is there anybody who has used both myBase and UltraRecall and can do a quicky cage match before the BdJ runs out? In the mean time, I am going to search through the note taker review and the forum thread.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Bits du Jour discount for today 15 May is UltraRecall.  Standard version is reduced from $49.00 to $19.00 and Pro version from $99.00 to $39.00.

UltraRecall is a sophisticated note taking and document/image/webpage database with a tonne of functionality and power.  I recommend it and the above discounts are really substantial.  It has only recently been upgraded to Version 3.  If I didn't already have it I would be jumping up and down for joy.

www.kinook.com or www.ultrarecall.com

Regards,

Jeff
Thanks for the heads up.

I looked at Ultra Recall while it was in version 1 and one of the things that stopped me was its price.

But now that it is in version 3, and with the discount, I'm tempted to quickly look at it again.

One of the things going in its favor is the active forum
http://www.kinook.co...6adf8&forumid=22

I'm (was) long time Ecco Pro user and ever since Ecco Pro died because it could not compete with a free Outlook, I have been longing for a replacement to Ecco. I still use Ecco although I do not really want to enter more info into it since it has been out of development for so long.

Any ex-Ecco user who is using Ultra Recall like to chime in on how good Ultra Recall is relative to Ecco Pro ? Ecco is really in a class of it's own even after so many years of no development.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Is there anybody who has used both myBase and UltraRecall and can do a quicky cage match before the BdJ runs out? In the mean time, I am going to search through the note taker review and the forum thread.
Well, I did mention in briefly in my notetaking thread:
Another EATKS software.  Actually, I don't think Ultra Recall is as inclusive as other EATKS software, but it's still way too much for a simple notetaker.  Besides, it doesn't offer any unique or special features in the notetaking category.
To me, UltraRecall just didn't seem to offer anything all that interesting.  Sure, it's a decent notetaker, but so are a lot of the other notetakers.  It claims to be fast, but it's not as fast as  mybase.  That doesn't mean it's slow, it's just not as fast as mybase, which is pretty lightweight.

I'm going to install it now and check it out again.  I'll write back later with more fresh details.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:48 AM »
I don't know.  I have nothing really bad to say about UltraRecall.  It's a fine application.  It does everything.  Let me say this, if you're interested in simple notetaking, like just writing and copying text here and there, it's probably not the application for you.  If you also plan to use it for additional features like an addressbook, todo list, event reminder, project manager, etc. then you may want to consider it.  I guess I always get turned off by UltraRecall not because it's not a good program, but because it does too much.  I already have an addressbook software, a project management software, etc. and they do it better than UltraRecall, so I don't need those functions.  And it's notetaking features aren't that special.

It does have some cool search features.  I will say that.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:58 AM »
I don't need a simple notetaker. Does it do document management? If so, does it store the info in a central database, like Evernote, or does it index individual documents that are already present, like Paperport?

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Yes it does.  You can store the docs in the database in full or as a link.  It indexes any docs (Office docs, webpages and other miscellaneous formats) for fast searching.

It is not a simple notetaker or PIM.  It is heavyweight.  For most people I suspect it is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

Jeff

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:25 AM »
I used both and still do for over 3 years now. as much as I wanted to consolidate all my content in one app, such perfect one still does not exist. I use Mybase as my primary, however. These are the pros/cons in a nutshell ...

Mybase
----------------------------------------
1) most stable and performing app I have ever used. I have over 423MB of data in it and it NEVER crashed once or under-performed.
2) I have never seen an app that comes even close to MyBase when it comes to compression (zlib). Above data resides in a 10MB files after using compression.
3) It has 90% of the features you would expect from an information manager in the areas of capturing, sharing, organizing, and so forth.

Now, the not so great stuff
1) support and development is slow (took over a year to release 5). You can tell from the forum activity.
2) integratoon with other apps is sometimes cumbersome if not dysfunctional e.g. outlook.
3) even thought MyBase SDK has been published for a while,  i did not see any add-ons developed .for some reason, was not embraced as good as i expected.
4) can organize data at 2 levels only, tree and labeling system. Some user find this limiting. i did not.
5) limited RTF support specially tables. this is common for so many apps i have seen since they tend to use MSoft's controls. They shy away from developing their won or acquiring 3rd party ones due to cost or support consideration.

UltraRecall
1) Uses the solid rock db engine sqllite. you get the full protection and reliability of such engine. I have at 5 DK apps that uses it and it never failed me. UR claim that db sizes can grow up to 2TB and still have an acceptable performance.
2) UR developers are very very distinct when it comes to programming and writing Dk apps. They are known for that in the development community.
3) Support is exceptional. They take it seriously and it shows on the forums.
4) Program strikes a clever and unparalleled balance between free form and structured data. You can tag your free content with system as well as user generated attributes. this gives you unlimited choices organizing, categorizing, and searching your data.
5) I love its content capture facilities. With UR3, you can (with click of a button) capture from MS OL, IE, FF, TBird. It also has a global capture key you can use from any app. This is so convenient and it works.

The not so great stuff
Despite the below issues, they truly stay on top of user and bug reports. they actively release patches (4 or 5 patches since the release of 3 in march of this year). This minimizes the impact on their user base.
1) Program can and will crash more often than what i like it to. This week for example, it threw 2 unhandled exceptions and some cpp debugging messages.
2) RTF editing is badly limited. They provide 'limited editing' and if you want more, they allow you to open up the node in an external app like msword.
3) They implemented a feature where you can 'edit content externally' instead of the integrated RTF editor. i have seen at least 3 posts on the forums for uses complaining of data loss. I did experience it myself with both releases 2 and 3.
4) can only display the content of a single info item at a time. with MyBase, you layout content from multiple items in so many ways (using windows tile/cascade) functions.

I truly have not put UR to the test with large volume of data to tell about its performance. but so far, it has been performing great.

Again, there is not such an app when you can get all what you need. but between MB and UR, i have all my need satisfied.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 01:25 AM »
cnewtonne, fantastic post.  I will save this for the next notetaking roundup for sure.  Nicely done.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The not so great stuff
Despite the below issues, they truly stay on top of user and bug reports. they actively release patches (4 or 5 patches since the release of 3 in march of this year). This minimizes the impact on their user base.
1) Program can and will crash more often than what i like it to. This week for example, it threw 2 unhandled exceptions and some cpp debugging messages.
2) RTF editing is badly limited. They provide 'limited editing' and if you want more, they allow you to open up the node in an external app like msword.
3) They implemented a feature where you can 'edit content externally' instead of the integrated RTF editor. i have seen at least 3 posts on the forums for uses complaining of data loss. I did experience it myself with both releases 2 and 3.
4) can only display the content of a single info item at a time. with MyBase, you layout content from multiple items in so many ways (using windows tile/cascade) functions.

I truly have not put UR to the test with large volume of data to tell about its performance. but so far, it has been performing great.

I thought DC members out to be aware that the crashes have been resolved with Ver 3.2.4 since Dec 2007.

In fact, they have now released a new version 4.0 which you may want to check out.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:26 AM by patteo »