topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 15 Coolest Firefox Tricks Ever  (Read 7094 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
15 Coolest Firefox Tricks Ever
« on: May 13, 2007, 01:55 PM »
I generally don't think much of these Top X Lists, but this one seems good and I like lifehack.org.

Everybody’s favorite open-source browser, Firefox, is great right out of the box. And by adding some of the awesome extensions available out there, the browser just gets better and better.

But look under the hood, and there are a bunch of hidden (and some not-so-secret) tips and tricks available that will crank Firefox up and pimp your browser. Make it faster, cooler, more efficient. Get to be a Jedi master with the following cool Firefox tricks.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 15 Coolest Firefox Tricks Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Thanks for these mouser, some in there i hadnt seen before.  I quite like the lists, each one is a bit different and everyone has a slightly different take on what they like so they arent all the same, and with 10 or 15 'tricks' its not to daunting to go through  them all in one go.  (good procrastinating material  ;))

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:23 AM »
Looks like a nice guide! I do have to ask why anyone would use Space and Shift+Space to page up and page down when there's already dedicated PgUp and PgDn keys... usually even on laptops...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Looks like a nice guide! I do have to ask why anyone would use Space and Shift+Space to page up and page down when there's already dedicated PgUp and PgDn keys... usually even on laptops...
Actually, i know quite a few laptops in which the page up/down keys are accessed through fn+up/down.
Also, even on my laptop, i use the j/k keys to go uo/down, because those are the ones used by Vim and are closer to the middle of the keyboard :)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:10 AM »
13) Limit RAM usage. If Firefox takes up too much memory on your computer, you can limit the amount of RAM it is allowed to us. Again, go to about:config, filter “browser.cache” and select “browser.cache.disk.capacity”. It’s set to 50000, but you can lower it, depending on how much memory you have. Try 15000 if you have between 512MB and 1GB ram.
(emphasis mine) Something tells me the disk capacity setting will not limit the amount of RAM.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:31 AM »
being a mouse junkey, i found a nice extension that takes you up or down with one click, it has arrows in the status bar, its called Back to top.  Works great.  :)

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Firefox tweaking done properly http://www.tweakguid...s.com/Firefox_1.html - Lifehack top list must have taken 5 min. to spit out. Could have consisted of whatever. Direct link to user.js file which you can modify but remember not to touch about:config unless you know what you are doing! No. 12 has the year old wrong value of 30 - 8 is still max. Take seconds to research but faster to copy and paste. Ram vs. hd! Down with poor top lists made hoping to attract attention - such lists can be useful.