SiteAdvisor flags SnapSuite 2008 as trojan! - RANT/LONG STORY AHEAD
Alright, I was sending a PM to mouser about the FTP acting up again- I closed down Core FTP and tried again to get Dreamweaver to upload the home page for the MazeCraze site - and it worked. I got mad because at this point I have a PM that I spent 15 minutes working on and it is pointless now. But oh well, that's life.
Continuing on, I was checking the home page to make sure the changes were there - and I noticed that SiteAdvisor was RED. "Red?!?! Why???" were the words going through my mind. As far as I know I am the only user of *.dcisv.com...
Apparantly, SnapSuite 2008 2.4 is a "trojan". OOOOhhhh!! THAT'S
WHY! At this point I am steaming mad, because it completely insults me when someone calls me a virus writer or says something I make is spyware/etc. FYI: I did look into and attempt it a while back, but it is not satisfying at all, and is more of a pain than being productive and helping someone.
All the code I made for those has been formatted over and destroyed, and no one has any copies of it.
About 45 seconds later, I posted a comment on the Dcisv.com SA page under the comments - and headed to send an email to the McAfee "team". I managed to make a somewhat logical email without too much anger; after about 5 re-writes, that is. Here it is:
At the domain http://dcisv.com/
there is a false positive trojan of "SnapSuite 2008 2.4 Stable (SnapSuite 2008.exe)"
I am the developer of this software and am both puzzled and somewhat insulted by this. My programs are clean of any "badware" and a large portion of that program is actually made to speed up computers and help remove such software. I would be happy to provide raw files (no installer) and/or source code (VB .NET 2008) if needed, in order to show that this is a clean file. My program installers are compiled with Inno Setup, and install only the program's required files, along with optional desktop and start menu shortcuts.
Please do note that the program includes several freeware third party programs to assist the application when performing maintenance operations on a computer. They are as folows: Steven Gould's "CleanUp!", IObit "Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal" (portable edition), "JkDefrag", "NTREGOPT". All of the aforementioned programs are clean as well and I do have permission from the developers themselves to distribute the programs. The program also includes a compiled AutoHotkey script, programmed by me. I can supply the source code for that as well if needed.
Also, the program can be found at http://mazecraze.dcmembers.com/
- these files are identical. I own the subdomains "mazecraze.dcisv.com" and "mazecraze.dcmembers.com" - they are hosted via FTP. I do not own the servers they are hosted on, but can supply the information as to whom owns them if that data is needed as well.
(Yes, blame me because I said I "own" the subdomains - but I didn't feel like explaining it all, so saying that is just easier and less confusing. I do sincerely thank Mouser for giving me web space (EDIT:
and helping me with it!))
I fully intend on continuing to keep in "contact" with McAfee until this is resolved, including making some angry phone calls. This stuff gets me completely flaming ... mad.
Here is the link to the report... http://www.siteadvis.../downloads/14327440/
(I will NEVER
make any harmful software unless it is for PERSONAL
use and it will NEVER
be distributed to anyone)
If anyone would like raw files or source code to confirm this (VB .NET 2008) I am happy to send it to you. I felt obligated to make this post because I do not want anyone here at DC to doubt my programs, or more importantly, my word.
Thanks for reading my rant guys, I feel better now
-Brandon M. Seal