topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CD Bank Cataloguer abandoned?  (Read 12872 times)

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CD Bank Cataloguer abandoned?
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:01 PM »
I'm a for-the-most-part very happy user of CD Bank Cataloguer by Qunom software. I've been using it for around 7 or 8 months now. Several months ago I tried going to the developer's site (which was there when I bought the software) only to find their domain expired and was for sale by the registrar.

Not a good sign.

So months later, today actually, I check again to find the same thing. Does anyone else here have CD Bank Cataloguer or know anything about what may have happened? I know the latest version is still available at most popular download sites, but I'm not very interested in abandoned software if it's not going to be updated anymore. I can't even find an email address other than @qonum.com to contact them about the product.

I've got about 1/2 of my gigantic CD/DVD collection entered and categorized, but I'm still using a freaking Alpha build since they were supposed to release the next version some time ago and then... who knows... took a long vacation, got sick, went broke, or maybe just changed names and isn't getting good enough google results for me to find them yet.

A bit frustrating. Especially now that there's other similar software which is actually being updated, but which I didn't buy yet. I suppose, score one for reasons to go with a commercial developer, heh. But that's the risk you take I guess. I prefer supporting smaller developers who are active and pay attention to their user base. Being that this forum is made up of people like that, I'm hoping maybe someone can be of assistance.

If not, can anyone recommend better cataloging software for CDs/DVDs (eg. that allows you to keep an organized database of all discs and all files on the discs so you can search through them all without needing to insert each one)? Thanks everyone!

Ben
--
Ben M

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: CD Bank Cataloguer abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:04 PM »
In the same boat.

I have a registered version of CD Bank 2.7.9 but as you say the site is dead, and has been for some considerable time now.

I have searched the web for any news, but all that comes up are posts like this one!

A real shame, since it is / was a great product.

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Good to know I'm not the only one here. I thought it was a great product too. I've got about 1/2 of my burned, random discs from the past 10 years or so cataloged and I've already found a number of files I deemed long lost years ago. But now I've got the other 1/2 of my them sitting out and I'm wondering... do I spend the time and enter them into CD bank or am I going to have to put them all into different software anyway if Qonum never turns up?

I was figuring maybe their domain was in Redemption and they were gonna wait it out, but if that was the case it should have been released months ago. Which leads me to wonder why it's still for sale. There are links on almost every major shareware site on the 'net to www.qonum.com, you'd think someone else would have at least snatched it up by now. Or maybe sedo's just asking too much.

Who knows...
... Well, hopefully someone.

It kind of sucks it's on so many shareware sites because that makes it nearly impossible to find anything else. It would be a true shame indeed if this is the end of CD Bank's development.
--
Ben M

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:16 PM »
count me in too.. i was a proud winner of the program in DC's September draw.. :(

ws-sept-draw-1.png

now i'm trying to get a new disc cataloguer as well.. thanks to tomos's thread here, i'm looking at CDVista.. if you want to, do help us out here by trying out one of program & give your opinion on it.. :)

Accueil.png

Edited to include CDVista's url...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:42 PM by lanux128 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:22 AM »
here,
a bit of cross-posting :)

CD Bank Cataloguer
http://www.qunomsoft.com/
there is development in alpha stage that can be downloaded

corrected website address
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:18 AM »
it seems like Qunom software has re-surfaced. :up:

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Don't mean to re-hash a quite-old topic...

But can Qunom not hang on to a domain name? qunomsoft.com seems to have gone to the same (or a similar) black hold that qunom.com ended up in...

Has the site popped up anywhere else? I can't find it on a search.

This was my favorite cataloging software... I really don't want to give it up. But for now, I've switched to InfoLayout.
--
Ben M

Msgt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:30 PM »
SiteAdvisor gives CDVista a red warning.  Thoughts?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:24 PM »
This was my favorite cataloging software... I really don't want to give it up. But for now, I've switched to InfoLayout.

since there was no consistent development, i had to give up CD Bank Cataloguer for good. if you are looking for alternative options, there is a thread with comprehensive listing of catalog software here, thanks to the efforts of crush & tomos.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:32 PM »
SiteAdvisor gives CDVista a red warning.  Thoughts?

McAfee does show an alert but you can download the program and scan it again to make sure that there's no malware.

ws-cdvista-alert.png

tramilo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:16 AM »
what we really need to know is which program out there will import the cdbank database.
esp important for many of us who've entered a ton of cd/dvds into the database, don't want to do that again.

furthermore, how safe are the alternative programs databases..how open to export/import by others are they?  makes you think twice about throwing in your lot with any of these programs if theres the risk of being abandoned and locked in.