topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea: A directory box  (Read 12196 times)

brain3000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: A directory box
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:50 PM »
hey,
Idea: a little resizeable box that sit on your desktop/stays on top that lists the content of a directory of your choosing

Why?: You know when you working on a project or something like when I'm making a big website or just loads of graphics for something, its just annoying having to have folders open on the start bar that you are constantly using between working with multiple programs. i thought it would be much easier and handier if you had a little box with the directory in it that you could drop and drag, delete, copy, paste and launch files from this window.

hmmm i don't know if it can be done easily but it would be great if you could just drop and drag the directory you want to display into the box to set it.

Features: Icon in taskbar - Right click: Options- set the number of boxes to display.
                                                                Anchored to desktop or always on top
                                                                transparency

Double click: opens a blank box

I hope this is possible and not too hand to do, it would be great if someone was able to code this
i know it would really to useful to me and probably a good few others.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: A directory box
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 04:02 AM »
Have you tried QT Tabbar? This would at least reduce the amount of folders open in the taskbar to 1 (with tabs).

Alternatively FileBox Extender could add shortcuts to your favourite folders in open/save dialogues and from the system tray.

This is how I manage mine in a similar role as yours. You can also create a new toolbar in the taskbar, point it to the folder of your choosing (either a folder with shortcuts to your favourite folders or the 1 folder you are using) and have one-click access to it directly from the taskbar.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:11 AM »
i can see why it wold be useful to have such a window docked to the screen.. does anyone know of any of the file explorer replacements that can allow a window to be docked to the side of the screen so other windows will not overlap it?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:25 AM »
I have used TaskbarEx to reduce clutter. You can drag the buttons right off your bar and put them where you want on your desktop.

This is especially useful when doing web design. I keep the whole project grouped in one corner of my desktop.

QT Tab Bar: I haven't tried this, but it looks nice.

qttab.pngIdea: A directory box

You could probably combine both of them to end up with a really powerful option....maybe throw in FileBox Extender too. The menu for favorite folders that it puts on the titlebar in explorer is very handy. I use it all the time.

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 03:12 PM »
hey,
Idea: a little resizeable box that sit on your desktop/stays on top that lists the content of a directory of your choosing

I hope this is possible and not too hand to do, it would be great if someone was able to code this
i know it would really to useful to me and probably a good few others.

Blackbox has tear-off menus which are *very* useful. Any menu list, any level, click and drag on the top label to drag it anywhere and hold it open and on top of anything. Right-click the label to dismiss. You can have as many open at one time as you like.  :-*

I really wish that were standard Windows behaviour.  >:(
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:53 PM »
 :) How about Microsoft Windows XP?

If you drag a folder from your desktop to one of the edges of the screen, it creates a dockable Explorer window. You can also detach it and have it floating freely.

Skrommel

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:47 PM »

If you drag a folder from your desktop to one of the edges of the screen, it creates a dockable Explorer window. You can also detach it and have it floating freely.

Skrommel

oh yeah, duh...how could I forget that?  :-[

btw: this isn't just XP...it works in older versions of Windows too....even 9x.

You can create toolbars on it and do everything you can, just like with the taskbar...only it won't have the buttons of open windows or the system tray.

You can make up to 3 additional bars on the screen edges that your taskbar isn't on. The folder doesn't have to be on your desktop...it can be anywhere. Just drag it from Explorer and smack it on the edge you want.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 03:02 AM »

Skrommel

thats great  :-*

unfortunately,
I cant Alt+Tab to it and when I change to programme which is using full screen I cant get back to it - except by minimising everything (Win+M).
Ok, solved that: right click title :-[ (who'd a guessed) > change settings > "Automatische im Hintergrund" does the job
But
then it seems to default each time new one opened to Large Icons & hiding in the background - I wonder is there a way of changing default settings??

Hah, it moves your desktop icons which positions i have long NOT backed up. Oh, well!
Tom

brain3000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the replies,
yeah i know about the windows tool bar thing but i was lookin for something a bit neater that is just a directory box that pops out when you move your mouse to the left edge of the screen and doesn't take up the entire height of your screen,
any chance of someone coding a quick version of this up? its would be very useful, i tried it in vb but kinda failed in coding bits of it.

hope someone can help me :D

Maggy160

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 02:33 AM »
The folder bars you create by dragging folders to the edge can be configured by right clicking the dotted line, for example small icons and/or auto hide. Unfortunately once you uncheck them from the bars list, they're gone with your customisations.
You can right click your taskbar, create new bar, drop files and folders on it and customise, I believe Windows should store those settings.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 03:06 AM »

Skrommel

That's cool! I can just make a directory with a bunch of shortcuts and have a little launcher sidebar and it works on top too. Neato!

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 06:01 AM »
The folder bars you create by dragging folders to the edge can be configured by right clicking the dotted line, for example small icons and/or auto hide. Unfortunately once you uncheck them from the bars list, they're gone with your customisations.
You can right click your taskbar, create new bar, drop files and folders on it and customise, I believe Windows should store those settings.
I hadn't noticed it before, but if you drop a folder onto the title of a toolbar, that folder gets added as a separate toolbar within the same bar area. To get rid of it, right-click on the bar that contains it, select Toolbars, and un-check it. Not as neat as Blackbox, but still pretty handy.  I like to have the taskbar on the right edge, so all the toolbars stack on top of each other with just the title and the double arrow showing. Just like a sidebar  :Psidebar.png
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:12 AM by JennyB »