topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer  (Read 17924 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:59 PM »
Does any of all you geniuses know the name of the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" executing file in XP? I simply cannot find where it might be or what it might be named.

:tellme: Please!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:05 PM »
I think it is a DLL and runs as a shell extension of explorer.exe.  :-\

update:

Yes, it is a dll. So you can invoke it as such:

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:25 PM by tinjaw »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:49 PM »
You could also replace it with MaxView, Curt. You could even just unzip the portable version to test it out.

Again, like Windows Desktop Search, there's better alternatives! (IMHO). Unless the thing is actually used to view faxes, lol.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59 PM »
..., there's better alternatives! (IMHO). ...

Media Player Classic is one of the worst media players you can have. But then there is K_Lite Mega Codecpack - and suddenly Media Player Classic is one the finest media players.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not much to talk about. But then there is VicMan Photo Toolkit, and suddenly the Fax Viewer is a very fine image editor!

fax.png

- and for this reason I want to place a link in "Open With ..." and "Send To ..."
Get the point?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06 PM »
you can invoke it as such:

Thanks for answering my question, tinjaw, but please take one step further, if you will forgive me: How do I transform this into a link, if possible? I cannot WRITE the link address; I have to NAVIGATE to the file.

I want to place a link in "Open With ..." and "Send To ..."

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 06:11 PM »
Quote:

Photo Toolkit ...  integrates directly into Windows Explorer and can function as an add-on program with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer providing quick access to several powerful editing options. This unique integration technology is patent pending.

Photo Toolkit does not embarrass you with a complicated interface: it enriches the software you're accustomed to with new additional features and lets you enhance your photos in the usual environment!

With Photo Toolkit everything you may need for image editing and enhancement is right there at your fingertips!

Photo Toolkit Features:
Download Photo Toolkit free and appreciate the ease of this complete photo software suite designed to make image editing a more enjoyable experience!

download.gif

Color Correction:
The Color Correction plugin contains a number of advanced tools for adjusting image color balance, contrast, brightness and saturation. An image can be fixed automatically (default color correction will be performed) or edited in manual mode.

Fix Red Eye:
The Fix Red Eye plugin allows you to quickly and easily remove red eye from your photos. An image can be fixed automatically (no manual selection is needed in the vast majority of photos) or edited in manual mode.

Denoise:
The Denoise plugin removes digital noise or Jpeg artifacts from your images. An image can be fixed automatically (standard denoise) or edited in manual mode if you want to perform Jpeg denoise. See examples...

Make Up:
The Make Up plugin contains a complete set of retouching tools for portrait enhancement. See examples...

Caricature:
The Caricature plugin lets you create funny caricatures transforming photos with special warping effects. See examples...

Lighting Effects:
The Lighting Effects plugin lets you apply artistic lighting effects to your photos, as well as add 3D relief. See examples...

Straighten:
The Straighten plugin offers the easiest way to straighten tilted photos simply by drawing a line that you want to be horizontal or vertical. See examples...

Resample:
The Resample plugin allows you to resize images enlarging or reducing them without image quality loss. The tool can be used to increase image resolution for better printing. See examples...

Crop:
The Crop plugin is a convenient tool that lets you crop images bringing out the most attractive details. See examples...

Convert:
The Convert plugin allows you to convert the image format (jpeg, bmp, png, gif, tiff).

Batch processing:
Now Photo Toolkit allows you to edit your images in batch mode. Batch processing lets you quickly edit multiple photos with minimal effort! You can process batches of images easily using Windows Explorer context menu. Just highlight several files, right-click on them and select the desired plugin. Besides, batch processing can be done in the stand-alone program.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05 PM »
I want to place a link in "Open With ..." and "Send To ..."

In File Explorer, right click on the file (say a .jpg file) and choose Open With and then Choose Program and select Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as the program.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:11 AM »
Don't forget to check the box underneath the list for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 02:38 AM »
Sorry; I didn't explain properly.  :-[

I think this amplified version of the Fax Viewer is very fine, but its not THAT fine.... I don't wanna attach any type of file to the Fax Viewer, I only want to have it among the listed programs. Explorer will do that, you will say, yes, but only after taking time to think about it. But if I use SendTo Toys or BAxBEx OpenExpert or any other editor of the Open_With option, the Explorer suggestions are not listed but replaced with apps I must navigate to. So if I use SendTo Toys and OpenExpert (and I do) I will have no way to add the Fax Viewer, because they are waiting for me to tell the name and place - and I can't find it, because its a DLL with multible jobs, it seems.

Hmmm... Did this make any sense?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:43 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 03:53 AM »
Sorry; I didn't explain properly.  :-[

Please, forgive me; I am such a clown expressing myself.  :-[

The menu picture you showed is almost an exact copy of my Explorer context menu:

001.png

- so inside Explorer the problem is not how to reach the Fax Viewer.

The problem is how to reach it when you want to add it to some third party program's options inside the right-click context menu - programs like SendTo Toys or OpenExpert - because they will not show the Explorer suggestions (the suggestions we can see at the picture), but will wait for you to navigate them to the executing file.

icon_idea.gif But of course, I should write the author of SendTo Toys and ask him! My dear; why haven't I thought of this before? Please, forgive me for having taken up your time!  :-[
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:12 AM by Curt »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 05:44 AM »
Curt,

If you do what I showed you and don't check the box for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." it will not make it the default choice. It will make "it among the listed programs." as you requested. Look at my screenshots. It is not the default, but is listed as a choice for "Open With".

As a side note, you don't use the DLL by itself, you use "rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen"

If it still doesn't make sense, I will try to whip up a screencast or a quick script to do this.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 08:27 AM »
This is becomming very confusing!
I clicked Modify, on my post, instead of Quote, on your post. So now the post before your post is the answer to the post after my previous post.  Oh dear!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 09:14 AM »
The problem is how to reach it when you want to add it to some third party program's options inside the right-click context menu - programs like SendTo Toys or OpenExpert - because they will not show the Explorer suggestions (the suggestions we can see at the picture), but will wait for you to navigate them to the executing file.
For those programs, it should be listed in the Other Programs (Andre programmer). Is it not?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Sorry, I should have read the thread more clearly before dropping in with my comment - I didn't mean to confuse  :-[

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 09:50 AM »
...it is a dll. So you can invoke it as such:

Surprisingly, I have to leave off the %1 to get this to work, but now the shortcut is in my Send To folder, and works fine.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Surprisingly, I have to leave off the %1 to get this to work, but now the shortcut is in my Send To folder, and works fine.
It wouldn't have been so surprising if I would have taken the time to explain that it wouldn't be required in certain circumstances - like in a shortcut.  :-\ Sorry for not explaining that. But I am glad to see that this info was useful.  :Thmbsup:

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Just tried Photo Toolkit, and I like it. It does offer some nice photo editing features in the Viewer. It also includes its' own photo viewer and editor. I posted three screenshots below:
phtoolkit1.pngWindows Picture and Fax Viewer
phtoolkit2.pngWindows Picture and Fax Viewer
phtoolkit3.pngWindows Picture and Fax Viewer

My only problem that I have with it is that it starts automatically with Windows, after unloading the toolbar from the Windows Image/Fax Viewer, it can be hard to find the settings menu, and that if the Windows Image/Fax viewer is not the default image viewer/editor, it always asks if you would like to make it the default.

Overall Nice Program, with some good features.

dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:24 PM by dhuser »