topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Key Launch - the indexed farr we want?  (Read 7187 times)

mystcolor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Key Launch - the indexed farr we want?
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:25 AM »
http://www.konradp.c.../products/keylaunch/
I have tried this little piece of software and it runs perfectly

farr over key launch
1. drag and drop   :Thmbsup:
2. digit launch  (cool~)
3. custom skins
4. history
5. scoring

key launch over farr
1. indexing  ( this is really useful for me becoz I always "find" things to launch, actually this why I was staying with farr )
2. unicode character support

there's some screenshots

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 05:36 AM by mystcolor »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Key Launch - the indexed farr we want?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:48 AM »
nice find, i think i had another tool with same name "Key Launch" in my Related Programs section of the help file, but not this one.

another vote for me adding indexing huh? i hear ya.  it's still planned as an optional feature in farr.

mystcolor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:17 AM »
thx mouser =]
actually I found some shortcuts won't works when launching with farr such as Microsoft Word Office 2007

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:55 AM »
are you using farr v2 alpha? ms word office 2007 should work fine with v2.

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:58 AM »
One of the significant features of FARR is that it searches when you ask it to. It does not rely on an index and all its associated overhead. I tried almost every app Mouser listed in the help file and could not bear with index overhead. AppRocket was the best I've seen but its index overhead just drove me away.
I agree with Mouser, if you do add an index feature, please make it optional and selective at the folder level.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:03 AM »
I agree 100%, when indexing is added it will be completely optional.

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:07 AM »
What a turn off...
you click on a link to see the developer's site and  you get php errors all over the place. If the developer does not care about cleaning up his site, why should we care about even checking his apps ranther than seeking support later on.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:48 AM »
I use FARR on my own computer and, because I can't bear not to get use out of apps that I've paid for in the past :P, I have appRocket loaded on my wife's notebook. Of course she doesn't use, but I do when I'm messing arou tweaking it for her. On her computer it works flawlessly and with no perceptible hit on resources, while it kills mine! The difference is that I'm on three year old centrino with a gig of RAM and she's on a year old AMD Athlon 64+ with a gig of (much faster) RAM. Anyway, candylabs' website is promising big things in an upcoming update to appRocket, so I'm keen to see what they've got up their sleeves (the promises are somewhat empty in that they are only alluded to, not detailed)...

PS I think adding optional indexing to FARR will make it a killer app. I've long advocated keeping FARR simple and lightweight, but indexing is a reality and it's a feature that many people want. Keeping the core functionality of FARR available without indexing will allow people to choose how they use it. With massive harddrives and lots of RAM the norm these days, an index will hardly be a liability in terms of size and user-controlled indexing (over dinner, perhaps) should be almost imperceptible, if the user chooses to use it at all.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 10:07 AM by Darwin »

mystcolor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:54 AM »
thx mouser =]
actually I found some shortcuts won't works when launching with farr such as Microsoft Word Office 2007

I am using the latest farr from time to time... it's working on other computers but I just can't make it works on my own..
I have already tried to uninstall and del all files in farr before reinstall...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 04:56 PM »
adding optional indexing to FARR will make it a killer app. I've long advocated keeping FARR simple and lightweight, but indexing is a reality and it's a feature that many people want. Keeping the core functionality of FARR available without indexing will allow people to choose how they use it. With massive harddrives and lots of RAM the norm these days, an index will hardly be a liability in terms of size and user-controlled indexing (over dinner, perhaps) should be almost imperceptible, if the user chooses to use it at all.

As I suggested in the "pluggin" thread, if FARR could "parasite" other desktop search engine indexes (X1,Copernic, Google Desktop...), it wouldn't add to much strain on resources for computer already using desktop search programs. Maybe ?

A.

[modified : Just added a forgotten pronoun]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:58 PM by Armando »