topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SkyIDE got a brand new project manager - Please express your opinion  (Read 11681 times)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The next release of SkyIDE will have a brand new project manager. Here is a very early development screenshot. I just tested the core and it works 100%

I hope you like what you see. Fonts, icons, images, the polishing bits will be fixed once I have the full core working.

Now I have to change/convert a lot of sections of code. This code is a complete re-write from scratch. SkyIDE's current project manager is very basic but extremely complicated so I decided to do something about it. I hope this new project manager will move SkyIDE a bit further up as the project manager is the heart of an IDE. Please tell me what you think.

By the way Jesse: Arrays are gone! This new solution is completely array-independent.

http://www.skyide.co.../temp/projectman.png

P.S. Ignore the extra buttons on the main screen. Again, I will polish everything once I get everything working. Here I give you an idea of how things will work.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:22 AM by SkyIDE »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
I like this layout of projects/ folders/ files. Great change.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank You Gothi[c]! I am glad you like it, especially the fact that it is you that likes -- it is great! :D I hope Jesse likes it too :) Yours and Jesse's opinion are most greatly appreciated because you have been here since my very first post for SkyIDE and I have always listened carefully! Of course others are appreciated too just as much. I never close my ears when I read your advices but sometimes I just have to research things.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:40 AM by SkyIDE »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh and by the way!

Newly created folders and files in the project's dir are automatically detected and added and are part of the project!

So for example you create a new folder in C:\Projects\TestProject1\ using Windows Explorer -- when you relaunch the project or re-start SkyIDE, the new folders will already be part of the project!

So you don't have to add them separately. The same applies for files too. Just create your files and folders via explorer and they will be visible. Removing files from project? Simply delete the files/folders from the project directory.

This means, you can manage your project files outside SkyIDE by simply deleting/creating files via the Windows Explorer interface!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:51 AM by SkyIDE »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I like it.
Question: Can you still add any files you want to a project? Files from outside the main project directory, etc?

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like it:  it has an attractive interface.  Is it just for C++, or could it be used for C# programming too?

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question: Can you still add any files you want to a project? Files from outside the main project directory, etc?

Not at the moment but I might be able to do something about it.

I like it:  it has an attractive interface.  Is it just for C++, or could it be used for C# programming too?

C# is not supported yet but I am very keen on supporting it. Is there a free compiler for C#? Otherwise I can use MONO's compiler I hope if there is a port for the Win32 environment. I know there is  port of the run time environment.

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
C# is not supported yet but I am very keen on supporting it. Is there a free compiler for C#? Otherwise I can use MONO's compiler I hope if there is a port for the Win32 environment. I know there is  port of the run time environment.

Well, the .NET Framework has a namespace for the C# compiler which you can use to compile source code with all the bells and whistles, to file or in memory. Using it you can write your own compiler in C++ (I'd be glad to assist if you have questions, however my C++ isn't as good as C# ;) I've once written a C# compiler from VB though.) :up:
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank You Ruffnekk. It is good to know I have someone to ask if I run into problems. I appreciate it.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a free compiler for C#?

I think SharpDevelop is free.  But do you mean command-line compiler?

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think SharpDevelop is free.  But do you mean command-line compiler?

Yes, a command-line compiler like GNU's c++, bcc32, dmc etc.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, a command-line compiler like GNU's c++, bcc32, dmc etc.

What about the core cmd-line compiler of the Mono project?  It's open-source.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What about the core cmd-line compiler of the Mono project?  It's open-source

Thanks for that. Well I might be using that then as long as it is availble. I have never used MONO before so I am not sure what tools are available. I have never used Pascal too but I still managed to implement support for it with a little bit of studying of course :) I went through a small online tutorial :)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just want to add that the external files issue that Jesse mentioned has been solved:

http://www.skyide.co.../temp/projectex2.png

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Project Explorer almost complete!

External Files Screenshot: Not seen before
http://www.skyide.co...es/temp/extfiles.png

Latest Screenshot: (Updated)
http://www.skyide.co.../temp/projectex2.png

Again, almost complete but I will add a few extra features....

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Looking good!

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Gothi[c]!

Images have been updated again (same links as above) showing the latest changes again. I have been working constantly on this. It's almost ready.

Also, I will make the Favorites and History sections more like the "External Files" look with paths underneath showing where each file is pointing....and I will remove the "History" section in the Options dialog.

After I release this version, my next biggest task should be C#/Mono support and I will have to start some serious work on a class viewer (no guarantees) but this thing -- the class browser is going to suck, really bad. It is extremely complicated. Detecting class members in nested classes is the problem.

Once you detect there is a class, you will detect there is another one but telling whether it is inside another and inside another again is a big problem. You have to do advanced string manipulations....counting, calculating and then you just get lost. If there are any free libraries I could use that will let me manipulate stuff like this will be helpful. All functions like the ones that detect loops, functions, ints, longs, floats are all written by me using simple but advanced C++ string/pointer manipulations.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 07:15 AM by SkyIDE »